What is the paint you get with Airfix kits

nheather

What make is the acrylic paint you get in the little pots in some airfix kits.

I recently got an Airfix jeep from Aldi, just a bit of fun so I’d thought I just use the paint tyat came with it.  It was terrible, reminiscent of when Airfix did enamels back in my distant childhoid days.

Is it Humbrol or something else.

I found the paint grainy no matter how much mixed as if the pigment is course grained.  I was brush painting, coverage was good, but although thinned the finish was lumpy with the grains of the pigment.  As I said, very reminiscent of the Airfix Enamels I tried in the 70s.

The paints in the kit were of no loss but if they are Humbrol acrylics I will be giving them a wide berth.

Cheers,

Nigel

My experiences are generally positive. My only gripe is that on the RAF aircraft Airfix persist with 30 for Dark Green - it isn’t anywhere near! Still it’s good enough to mix with Sky to get a home-brew version of Interior Green (78).

Trevor

I am currently experimenting with the paint in a Airfix YellowJack Gnat 

4 hours ago, nheather said:

What make is the acrylic paint you get in the little pots in some airfix kits.

was the original question and the box is certainly branded Humbrol - but I guess the maker is a bit like Airfix kits themselves although branded Airfix the factory that produces them could be in UK, China or India. Despite a search on the internet there is no reference to a Humbrol Factory.

33 minutes ago, Paul821 said:

I am currently experimenting with the paint in a Airfix YellowJack Gnat 

was the original question and the box is certainly branded Humbrol - but I guess the maker is a bit like Airfix kits themselves although branded Airfix the factory that produces them could be in UK, China or India. Despite a search on the internet there is no reference to a Humbrol Factory.

Really asking whether it is Humbrol paint, the same Humbrol paint that I would get if I bought a full size pot of Humbrol.

Cheers,

Nigel

Just to give it the best opportunity, just tried some of the 86 (Light Olive), added some thinners gave it a really good stir.

Brush painted on some scrap, can’t ague about the coverage but the finish is horrible - it is like someone has put some very fine sand in the paint - how on earth can it leave the factory like that?

I normally use Vallejo but have to mail order those so I was looking for paints that I could source locally now and then - which means whatever hobbycraft stock (humbrol, revell and tamiya).  But really put off Humbrol now which is a shame because I strongly beleive that Humbrol enamels are still the best model paint that I have ever used.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by nheather

17 hours ago, nheather said:

Just to give it the best opportunity, just tried some of the 86 (Light Olive), added some thinners gave it a really good stir.

Brush painted on some scrap, can’t ague about the coverage but the finish is horrible - it is like someone has put some very fine sand in the paint - how on earth can it leave the factory like that?

I normally use Vallejo but have to mail order those so I was looking for paints that I could source locally now and then - which means whatever hobbycraft stock (humbrol, revell and tamiya).  But really put off Humbrol now which is a shame because I strongly beleive that Humbrol enamels are still the best model paint that I have ever used.

Cheers,

Nigel

I agree with you, Nigel.

I had the same problems with the small pots.

About Humbrol acrylics ( 14ml pot) my experiences are positive.

Acrylic 163, 164, 165 and 123 works fine for me.

Kind regards,

Paolo

• 3 weeks later...

On a whim, because what else was I going to do with them but bin them, I pooled the ones I had (same colours, obviously) , thinned them and put them in dropper bottles.

So far, they have sprayed quite well but I fully expect some to be complete failures.

It was better than chucking them out, they've been useful for undercoats at least.