28mm Pike & Shotte

10 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

I used (many years ago) to model Pike & Shotte but 304mm to 1 foot scale...

A very old picture but I think you'll get the idea...

32867057798_a9e5a71b83_b.jpg

Thanks,Thats a lot of Pike men,looks like there already for skewers on the BQ,are you in the crowd,I have wondered in battle how they would pull out those long Pikes after thrusting them into some unfortunate sole,especially fighting in such close combat??,Thanks for your kind comments and the pic and feed back Cheers.

2 hours ago, Jim Wasley said:

Thanks,Thats a lot of Pike men,looks like there already for skewers on the BQ,are you in the crowd,I have wondered in battle how they would pull out those long Pikes after thrusting them into some unfortunate sole,especially fighting in such close combat??,Thanks for your kind comments and the pic and feed back Cheers.

No it was a friend of mine in the crowd with the camera.  This was a show for British Army on the Rhine many years ago.  

The block is actually at "Charge for horse".  The shotte are interspersed between the pikemen.  Basically the end of the pike is planted and the pikes thrust out to prevent horses from charging into the block (same as the square at Waterloo).  

Pike against pike fought a "Push of Pike".  Although frequently called out in contemporary documents it is not known exactly how it worked.  The Pikemen were chosen for their stature, it needs strength to manage a pike for any period of time.  It is thought that the two opposing blocks would close to short range and fence with their 16-18 ft pikes.  The distance would quickly close and degenerate into a pushing match to try and take ground (similar to a rugby scrum).  I guess at some point one side or the other would break and it would turn into a free for all with the cumbersome pikes dropped and swords used to hack at what was in front of you.  The shotte would then be used to cause the casualties and put the enemy to flight. A brutal business.

I am in that picture by the way.  That's me on the extreme right looking back at the block.  Re-enactment was a fascinating way to try out some of the theory around how troops were exercised..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

No it was a friend of mine in the crowd with the camera.  This was a show for British Army on the Rhine many years ago.  

The block is actually at "Charge for horse".  The shotte are interspersed between the pikemen.  Basically the end of the pike is planted and the pikes thrust out to prevent horses from charging into the block (same as the square at Waterloo).  

Pike against pike fought a "Push of Pike".  Although frequently called out in contemporary documents it is not known exactly how it worked.  The Pikemen were chosen for their stature, it needs strength to manage a pike for any period of time.  It is thought that the two opposing blocks would close to short range and fence with their 16-18 ft pikes.  The distance would quickly close and degenerate into a pushing match to try and take ground (similar to a rugby scrum).  I guess at some point one side or the other would break and it would turn into a free for all with the cumbersome pikes dropped and swords used to hack at what was in front of you.  The shotte would then be used to cause the casualties and put the enemy to flight. A brutal business.

I am in that picture by the way.  That's me on the extreme right looking back at the block.  Re-enactment was a fascinating way to try out some of the theory around how troops were exercised..

Thanks for that very interesting information,they were tough men and tough times to live in,Cheers.