1/72 Airfix 'Bronze' Hurricanes +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

Evening All,  Over Christmas I knocked up a coupe of 'in flight' warbirds - namely a Spit & a 109.  I enjoyed the exercise so I have added a couple of 'grounded' versions...

BRHIU04.jpg

...they don't take up too much space in the rack that used to hold my CD collection...

BRHIU05.jpg

So I've decided to add a couple of Hurricanes...

BRHIU01.jpg

The main reasons for this are - 'stash reduction' and a sort of 'therapy'.  I'm in a pretty 'dark place' mentally at the moment & I can't bring myself to do anything worthwhile - but equally I don't want to walk away from the bench and find that weeks & months drift by - so this is just some simple fun - to take my mind off all the rubbish that is going on around me.

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

I started work yesterday morning - Saturday that is - and it is at this point I must offer a MASSIVE thank you to @Plasto for suggesting I invest in some better side cutters and maybe a decent razor saw - thank you sir - money well spent...

BRHIU06.jpg

I got the Tamiya 'slim' or 'sharp nose' cutters - £31 and a couple of saws at £8 a pop...

BRHIU07.jpg

They certainly have made a difference in getting all the tiny bits of the sprues on these kits...

BRHIU08.jpg

BRHIU09.jpg

BRHIU10.jpg

BRHIU11.jpg

...no broken bits and you literally just need to 'show' the sprue the cutters and they 'submit' instantly and the parts come away as clean as can be - cheers mate!!! ;)

• Like 5

Assembly of the 'wheels up' version was 'swift' with most of the action taking place 'down under'...

BRHIU13.jpg

BRHIU14.jpg

BRHIU15.jpg

I did struggle a little with 'Hurricane Chin' when I came to fit the wings - something I have suffered with on a couple of 1/48 builds - but by removing 0.3mm from the back of the wing assembly and then clamping - I got through it...

BRHIU17.jpg

BRHIU18.jpg

With the pitot and aerial in place I was good to go with the 'wheels down' version...

BRHIU19.jpg

It's amazing how going 'old school' - almost like 'back to childhood' takes your mind off the nasty things in life - a very happy Saturday.

• Like 5

For the wheels down version I needed a 'static' prop...

BRHIU20.jpg

BRHIU21.jpg

The detail in the undercarriage area is really nice in this kit...

BRHIU22.jpg

BRHIU23.jpg

Again everything fell into place really quickly and easily - making for a pleasant Sunday...

BRHIU24.jpg

BRHIU25.jpg

...and almost before I knew it - paint was being 'splashed'...

BRHIU26.jpg

So by this evening the job was done and another shelf has been filled...

BRHIU27.jpg

Thanks for looking in - Steve

• Like 13

45 minutes ago, BP85 said:

Nice work. What paint are you using? They look great on the shelf.

Ben

Hi Ben - Thanks for the support.  The paint is Halfords 'Vauxhall Hazel Brown' metallic. 

• Like 3

Great job Steve !!

It look nice that way !!

When I read "Bronze age" I was thinking of super detailling with brass rods, soldering and so on...

2 Mustangs now ??

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear things are getting you down. Anything that helps has to be a good thing.

A great idea and they do look rather attractive all in bronze.

Now - I wonder what a bronze tank would look like :whistle:

• Thanks 1

This is all very refreshing! I can't remember the last time I just put a model together withoutplanning all the detail painting etc. The finished effect is really rather good - I can see your idea catching on!

I'm sorry that things seem to be stacking up against you at the moment, Big X, and the time of year doesn't really help matters. You're not alone; keep smiling and I'm sure you'll start to see the world's colours again. Modelling (or any other craft hobby) really can help, as you obviously know - I think of it as 'constructive mindfulness'.

I might even try a 'shelf ornament' like this myself sometime!

Jon

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, badger said:

Sorry to hear things are getting you down. Anything that helps has to be a good thing.

A great idea and they do look rather attractive all in bronze.

Now - I wonder what a bronze tank would look like :whistle:

Thanks Ben - You know me - I'll be obsessing about something soon - I'm just a bit 'distracted' at the moment.  I can't seem to concentrate and this 'simple building' is helping a lot.  Rather than get bogged down with a complicated project - which I could end up walking away from - these are so easy to pop together and you see a result usually the same day - like when we were kids.  I reckon a bronze AFV could look splendid.

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Sorry to hear you have troubles BIG X. If theres anything i can do to help let me know ? 

Dennis

Thanks Dennis - it's appreciated.  I'll get through this - I just need to 'STAY CALM & MODEL ON' as the motto goes.

51 minutes ago, Jonners said:

This is all very refreshing! I can't remember the last time I just put a model together withoutplanning all the detail painting etc. The finished effect is really rather good - I can see your idea catching on!

I'm sorry that things seem to be stacking up against you at the moment, Big X, and the time of year doesn't really help matters. You're not alone; keep smiling and I'm sure you'll start to see the world's colours again. Modelling (or any other craft hobby) really can help, as you obviously know - I think of it as 'constructive mindfulness'.

I might even try a 'shelf ornament' like this myself sometime!

Jon

Cheers Jonners - I think anyone who particularly likes a certain subject - such as a Spit or Mustang or whatever can appreciate the simple 'lines' of an aircraft and enjoy it for 'itself' - without worrying about a specific colour scheme - just a bit different I suppose.

Thanks lads - your support has brightened my morning - Steve:D

• Like 1

• BIG X changed the title to 1/72 Airfix 'Bronze' Hurricanes +++COMPLETED+++