A Finished Childhood Build - 1/72 Avro Lancaster Dambuster

Hello folks,

I built this Lancaster when I was 10 or 11 years old, and found it last year in a box with a few other old models. Thanks to fellow members for identifying it as a Revell kit! Anyway, it was mostly still in one piece and I decided that it deserved a proper little paint job, since it hadn't one already!

I put some putty in the gaps between the fuselage and wings, and sanded some (but not all) of the little flash burs off. One of the props had fallen off so it's glued on in a stationary position, but the other three spin freely. I also cut off and re-glued the rear landing gear into a more correct position than I originally had it. Otherwise, I just painted it... It was all done freehand with acrylics and a brush. There are no decals, as one can rather easily tell! I decided to use the letter G for the squadron ID because that's my first initial and I found some decent photos of the original online. The ED932 is also correct for that aircraft.

In any case, there were lots of little mistakes with the build, but it wasn't too bad considering that I was ten or so... And I did not take all the care in the world with the paint for just that reason. It's sentimental and I tried to keep with the spirit of things! Cheers!

-Gregory

(p.s. I just realized there's still a bit of dust from all those years in storage, under the flaps!)

IMG_8520

IMG_8521

IMG_8522

IMG_8523

IMG_8527

IMG_8535

IMG_8531

IMG_8530

IMG_8528

IMG_8542

IMG_8541

IMG_8543

Edited by Kilroy1988
  • Like 26

Looks great! There's something to be said for sentimental builds! I've re-worked more of mine than I should've, but it's fun to give an old friend a little love.

I believe it is a Revell kit -- my Dad built AJ-G in the 70's and it was a Revell kit (still have the box top! :) )

• Thanks 1

That looks great, Mate!

It well surpasses anything that I built as a 10-year old.

Perhaps it's a good thing none of my childhood builds survive. 🤔

But I'm well pleased to see your Lanc in rejuvenated form.

:goodjob:

• Like 1

Thanks so much, guys! It was a fun little project.

5 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Great job,lovely looking Lanc...Are any of the others going to get the same treatment.....

I actually did up an Armstrong Whitworth Whitley as well, but that was last year before I decided to get serious about modeling again. The paint job looks rushed compared to this, and I stupidly sprayed a clear coat right over the clear parts, fogging them all up... So I decided not to share that one! 😛

Cheers!

-Gregory

• Like 1

Ah the nostalgia 😉

Definitely the Revell kit with the dropped flap segment. My Revell Dambuster is in a "damaged" box in the stash, in need of a full strip down rebuild.

• Like 1

Lovely job - nothing like a nostalgia build every now and then, eh!?! Keeps the enthusiasm fresh!

Definitely the Revell kit (dropped flaps, bouncing bomb, little square window behind the pilot's position)

Love to see older models rejuvenated and you have certainly demonstrated some excellent hand painting skills with those markings!

ATB
Rick

• Like 1