U.S.S. Anubis - Hermes Class Scout (Star Trek) - 1/2500

USS Anubis | NCC-586 | Hermes Class | 1/2500

yvDfnoK.jpg

From the classic Franz Joseph "Star Fleet Technical Manual", this is the USS Anubis, a Hermes class scout. It was kitbashed from the classic Enterprise in the AMT 1/2500 "3 enterprise" (1701, 1701-A and 1701-D) from the '90's, of which I had an extra. The name came from the technical manual, but is also a sly nod to Stargate SG-1, which my kids also love. Work in progress is here.

I saw several examples on the internet of classic Star Trek models with the shuttlebay integrated into the saucer section which I thought was brilliant. I cut the back off of the engineering hull and glued it to the saucer and then used Apoxie Sculpt epoxy putty to blend it in to the B/C decks on the saucer. The toughest part of that was cutting the angle on the bottom of the shuttle bay right so that the top of the shuttlebay was even with the top of the B/C decks. I only had one shot at that so it was a careful and tedious process.

The other difficult part was to turn the center part of the warp nacelle so that it would be pointing down ward in the finished model.  This meant I had to cut off the front and back parts, re-glue them in the right orientation and then fill and sand.  I then had to fabricate "final stage intercoolers" (the thingamajigs that stick up in the back of the warp nacelle) out of sheet styrene and glue them on.

Paints: (applied from base coat to surface): Mr Surfacer 1500 black as a primer  > Testors Enamel FS36440 (Flat Gull Gray) marble coat > Testors Enamel Black preshading > Testors Enamel FS36440 top coat > Testors Enamel Dark Ghost Gray (FS36320) / Testors Enamel Gunship Gray (FS36118) / Testors Enamel Chrome Silver for details > Alclad Aqua Gloss (3 coats) > Decals > Testors Model Master Semi-Gloss lacquer clear coat

Decals: JT Graphics Surya and Constitution Class Decals / PNT Models 1:2500 scale hull details (for the pylon)

U2Yy534.jpg

6k9ClWS.jpg

QcoGyTL.jpg

nroxIrO.jpg

WjdEeqr.jpg

pb3stEV.jpg

IQUm1pu.jpg

2hoOVwS.jpg

DJ88whI.jpg

9r92guz.jpg

q7oop8O.jpg

In all, I was pretty happy with how it turned out! I kinda wish it hadn't taken so long, but it wasn't as big of a priority as some of my other builds. Thanks for looking. Comments, constructive criticism, questions and tips always welcome! Hope you enjoy.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, HansReggelsen said:

Looks great! :goodjob:

Always good to see some of the more seldom seen ships! :D

One observation: Perhaps replace the black rod with a clear one? :hmmm:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

Good idea!  The black rod was bugging me... especially as I was taking pictures.  Just need to find one...

4 hours ago, opus999 said:

Good idea!  The black rod was bugging me... especially as I was taking pictures.  Just need to find one...

I found the ones I use in a shop where they sell Warhammer 40K (other products are available! :winkgrin:). They're used for e.g. the antigrav-tanks etc. :D

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rockpopandchips said:

That ooks great, if my AMT Enterprise doesn't sell soon I might have to make a 1/650 scale version of this. 

Thanks! A 1/650 scale version would be spectacular! I think I've decided to get a 1/1000 polar lights kit and make a destroyer out of it (same design, more phasers ;) )

It will be a lot easier, that's for sure!

Edited by opus999