Armstrong Whitworth Wolf - 1/144 scratchbuilt

Hi folks, 

The AW Wolf was one of those often slightly bizarre-looking interwar British prototypes built in response to the Air Ministry’s frequent specifications, in this case Spec 08/23 which called for a dedicated reconnaissance type.

307-2

Six prototypes were built, three of which were converted with dual-controls and placed on the civilian register. The first prototype, J6921 (pictured above), was tested at Martlesham Heath but no Air Ministry order was forthcoming. It remained at Martlesham for over 2 years and was used to test individual items of equipment.

My efforts to replicate this machine in 1:144 are detailed in the WiP thread here:

Thanks to all those BM’ers who offered top tips through the build, which (IMHO) doesn’t come close to some of the masterpieces of scratchbuilding that are frequently showcased here. Purists will have to hold their peace at the scale infidelities that they will find, but it’s a learning process and I haven’t enjoyed my modelling this much in ages!

Anyway, here are some pics:

20190112_211959

20190112_212052

20190112_211937

(The prop isn’t really this garish; the desk light just makes it look that way in this pic.)

20190112_211901

20190112_211842

20190112_211823

20190112_211804

20190112_211712

20190112_211741

And, as will become usual, one last pic ‘for luck’:

20190112_211650

Thanks for taking the trouble to have a look. Now to start on planning the next obscure subject!

Jon

Edited by Jonners
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Incredible work. I had to spend half an hour poring over your WIP and I could really empathise with your dilemma when discovering that the 10mm diameter, 70+ pieces radial engine should have been 8mm. Make another one, or…?

The WIP has number of clever secrets from Master John Aero and Marklo as well. A good and instructional read.

This is a great example of real modelling. Inspiring!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Thanks 1

I have to agree with Joachim: this is a truly inspirational build, and the fact that you a) kept going in spite of some mistakes, and b) have produced a wonderful model of an obscure type in an even more obscure scale syas much for your modelling skills. Those weird but wonderful interwar types of too under-represented IMHO - good for you in finding one and bringing it to our attention. Great build thread too - although I managed to msiss it at the time!

P

• Thanks 1

Beauty!  :clap2:  Scratching is not for the faint-hearted but scratching in 144 of such a small plane is sheer madness!  Hopefully, when they carry you away to the asylum they'll let you take your tools so you can show us some more. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Uncle Pete said:

Hopefully, when they carry you away to the asylum they'll let you take your tools so you can show us some more. 

Too late! The warders have already let me loose with sharp implements:

20190116_103043

The fools! Do they know where this leads?

Jon 

• Haha 2