Boeing 737 Braathens - 1:144 Airfix modified with LN Decals

4 hours ago, Viking said:

No problem Keith, I had already realised that the hinge needed filling, but had painted it all and was ready for decalling.

I was talking to my mate 'Stringbag' who suggested Vallejo filler would be ok  over the painted surface as it could be smoothed off easily, and then given a light overcoat of paint. I couldn't get hold of any, so thought 'never mind, I'll do it on the next one' . I'll be sure to follow your advice before I spray any primer on it!

Thanks for all the kind comments guys!

Cheers

John

John, if it's of any help I've done just that using superfine (white) Milliput and it worked well.  I scraped most of the paint out of the hinge, put the Milliput on, smoothed it with a wet finger, let it set, rubbed it down lightly with 1500 wet and dry then touched up the white. Superfine Milliput is my go-to substance for any post-finishing skulduggery because it's more or less white and doesn't attack paint.

(Sorry if I'm telling you something you know already!)

Dave G

• Thanks 1

On 16/01/2019 at 00:17, Skodadriver said:

John, if it's of any help I've done just that using superfine (white) Milliput and it worked well.  I scraped most of the paint out of the hinge, put the Milliput on, smoothed it with a wet finger, let it set, rubbed it down lightly with 1500 wet and dry then touched up the white. Superfine Milliput is my go-to substance for any post-finishing skulduggery because it's more or less white and doesn't attack paint.

(Sorry if I'm telling you something you know already!)

Dave G

Thanks Dave, that is probably what i would have done. I also use the superfine white Milliput, and your advice is spot on!

My problem was that I had it fully painted, ready for decalling when I noticed that I should have filled that lower hinge. I really didn't want to start filling, sanding, and spraying more paint on it at this stage.  I decided to live with it instead.

br4.jpg

As you can probably tell, I like to get them as complete as possible before starting to put decals on! it reduces the risk of getting paint/glue fingermarks on them.

Cheers

John

• Like 3