Boeing 737 Braathens - 1:144 Airfix modified with LN Decals

Boeing 737 Airfix 1:144

Braathens decals from Lima November

br15.jpg

I've developed a liking for taking an Airfix 737 out of the box and improving it. I must have done 5 or 6 now. Basic changes are:

• Lengthen the engines by 6mm
  • Build up the pylons from the early skinny style to the more common fat type,
  • Cut out the shallow main and nose wheelbays, and build new ones
  • Cut away the cockpit and install a Daco Clear part from one of their 737 kits.
  • Scratchbuilt a cockpit and out in a couple of N gauge seated figures for pilots.

The basic mods make a huge difference to the appearance of thee model.

Decals are from Lima November, and absolutely superb. The sheet gives you this style and he later one where the cheatline was dropped below the window level, but I prefer this. You also get every registration and fleet name for all Braathens 737-200's to choose from. (BTW, it is pronounced Brawtens, a double A in Norwegian is an 'AW' sound, There - my educational point for the day!).

I really enjoyed building this, for once I didn't make any major bloopers.

br5.jpg

br6.jpg

Can you see the co-pilot?

br12.jpg

br8.jpg

br11.jpg

The scratchbuilt wheel bays

br7.jpg

The crew are really difficult to photograph, but you can make them out here. In real life they are quite easy to see.

br9.jpg

And it wouldn't be complete without 'Something else' alongside!

In this case a Welsh models Vac F-27 also with Lima November Braathens decals.

br10.jpg

The scratchbuilt cockpit

br13.jpg

Overview of the most obvious mods during construction.

br14.jpg

Thanks for looking

John

• Like 38
  • Thanks 3

Really like it. Also thanks for the pronunciation aside. Turns out I was getting it right all along.

Hits my nostalgia button. I really like the Airfix 737 too. Built a few in my time.

Great stuff.

• Like 1

Hi John,

Welcome back, haven't seen anything from you in RFI for ages!

Another lovely 732 in a classic livery, you're getting good at these! Love the cockpit.

Well, unlike Noel, I've been getting it wrong all these years, I always pronounced it Br"ar"thens

I've been working on a 732 recently too and am just waiting for a dry and slightly brighter day to photograph it.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

Nice, John. I recall LN-SUB being a DC-6 but on checking I see it was allocated to a 737-200. ;). Braathens were regulars at many UK airports in the 1960s-80s, with their 737s, F-28s, F-27s, DC-6s and, for a very short time, the 767. Nice memories.

Martin

• Like 1

Very nice 737John. The mods really do add to the look of the Airfix 737. If there was one model I wish Airfix would retool, the 737-200 would be it, instead of another Spitfire or WW2 subject...yawn!!

I've got the LN Decals set for the BPK 1/72 737, for when (if?) I ever get round to building it.

Thanks for sharing.

S.A.F.E - not a comment on their safety record but South America and Far East...

Jeff

• Like 2

Thats really nice,cockpit detail is excellent, just love the old airfix classics. Marvellous!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Cheers Michael.   

• Like 1

Another beautiful and inspirational build John. Thanks for sharing and for reminding us once more of your techniques for improving the Airfix 737.

The only time I flew with Braathens we were diverted to Manchester because Newcastle was fogbound as was every airport on the eastern side of the country. The handling companies at Manchester were inundated and obviously scraping the barrel to get ground transport. We had a three hour journey on a clearly dangerous bus with no heating to get to where we were supposed to be. Despite that little hiccup (in no way the airline's fault) I love the Braathens livery and have a 737-500 in the later scheme on my "to be built if I live long enough" list

• Like 2

That's lovely, John

I remember building this old Airfix kit as a kid - so brings back memories!

The various additions you have done have really made a difference and I especially love the crew figures which add a lot of interest to your model.

Regards

Dave

• Like 1

That's another beauty John, cracking job again!

This is in no way meant as a critiscm of another gorgeous little airliner, but another mod you might want to add to any future Airfix 732 build is to delete the bottom rudder hinge. I have no idea why, but that sticks in my mind from an article in a probably decades old IPMS Airliner SIG magazine! I can't remember anything else from that article so I recommend you check before trusting my memory, but a cursory look at Google images suggests it is the case. :)

Keith

• Like 1

On 1/13/2019 at 8:07 PM, Viking said:

.....for once I didn't make any major bloopers.

...as if !

Feast for the eyes all round, but then again, that's the standard we've come to expect.

:thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Thanks for sharing.

mike

• Like 1

On 13/01/2019 at 21:04, Turbofan said:

Hi John,

Welcome back, haven't seen anything from you in RFI for ages!

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian,. I've been very busy lately! But I have several on the production line nearly finished..... British Midland Viscount... 734 BA 'Blue Poole'...734 Thai.... MD11 Finnair. I've too many on the go!

20 hours ago, keefr22 said:

This is in no way meant as a critiscm of another gorgeous little airliner, but another mod you might want to add to any future Airfix 732 build is to delete the bottom rudder hinge.

Keith

No problem Keith, I had already realised that the hinge needed filling, but had painted it all and was ready for decalling.

I was talking to my mate 'Stringbag' who suggested Vallejo filler would be ok  over the painted surface as it could be smoothed off easily, and then given a light overcoat of paint. I couldn't get hold of any, so thought 'never mind, I'll do it on the next one' . I'll be sure to follow your advice before I spray any primer on it!

Thanks for all the kind comments guys!

Cheers

John

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Viking said:

I'll be sure to follow your advice before I spray any primer on it!

Thanks John, but I can't take credit for any advice, I'm just amazed I remembered something from so long ago - credit is due to whoever wrote the Airliner SIG article, and I'm afraid I have no recollection of who that was! :)

Keith