Hi from Washington, USA!

Shin

Hello there,

Just wanted to say hi! Like many others I rediscovered the hobby in my adult years after a large gap since childhood. In my case I was looking for a creative outlet that didn't involve a computer screen. I've been back at it for a touch over a year and while progress is sometime slow due to life's obligations, this hobby is exactly what I was looking for. It also helps that as an adult you can invest a bit more money into such ventures, not to mention the state of engineering in kits today. I've been lurking for a while, but after constantly coming back to this site for tips and inspiration thought it was time to join the fun.

In the future my interests might end up more focused, but I'm trying it all out for now - 1/72 and 1/48 WWII fighters and modern jets, sci-fi, armor, mecha, naval ships, gonna give it all a whirl. One thing I do know for sure - I enjoy the assembly process a lot more than painting.

I'll finish my hello with two photos. The first is a 1/72 Hasegawa F-35A "Prototype" edition, which represents the first model I made which I was fairly satisfied with.

Er8V6KX5SAEttVi7f2d4xtQJWZyeg_gb_yyk3A0q

The second: When I was getting into the hobby I would laugh and shake my head when I saw photos of people's "stash", thinking, why would one accumulate so many models? Just don't get any more until you finished the ones you have. Oh how naïve I was...  A year of research, inspiration, LHS sales, eBay deals, and a Black Friday later here's my current stash, which I've resolved not to add to until I finished at least half of the seven projects I'm balancing on the bench.

SgKpFW5NxgYaAQ_6cIZz_fNNNdHnYriU-6NE05rC

• Like 4

Thanks all! It's actually not painting that gives me problems, but clear coating. The F-35 was the first decent result I got on that front - using Tamiya X-22 acrylic with Mr. Color Levelling Thinner for gloss, and then Alclad Klear Kote matte. I could not get consistently good finishes with any pure acrylic gloss or flat methods. 

On 13/01/2019 at 19:55, Shin said:

that didn't involve a computer screen

How's that working out for you?

Welcome to BM Shin. Nice model and rest assured, that's still considered a very small stash.

My daughter-in-law is from a little place called Selah in Washington State.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Shin said:

The F-35 was the first decent result I got on that front - using Tamiya X-22 acrylic with Mr. Color Levelling Thinner for gloss,

Try Tamiya’s XF-86 Flat coat ? I dust it on with 3-5 light coats and get a very nice satin finish. 

• Thanks 1

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 3:43 AM, Gorby said:

How's that working out for you?

Welcome to BM Shin. Nice model and rest assured, that's still considered a very small stash.

My daughter-in-law is from a little place called Selah in Washington State.

Thanks! Never been to Selah, it looks a bit far from me... And it's working out great, except I for the constant research. It's amazing how much information is available now -- even if a lot of it is conflicting! 

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 2:34 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Try Tamiya’s XF-86 Flat coat ? I dust it on with 3-5 light coats and get a very nice satin finish. 

I just picked up some XF-86 as well as AK Ultra Matte varnish last week, both highly recommended. Will be doing some tests soon, hope one (or both!) work out for me. Thanks for the tip!

• Like 2

Greetings from Washington State!  These Brit guys are great, and they have a ton of insight about this hobby.  Hope you have fun!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Shin said:

Never been to Selah, it looks a bit far from me.

Apparently there's no reason to go – a one horse town where the horse has died. 

• Haha 4