Airfix 1/72 Hawker Siddeley Hawk T.1a

Smudge

Well we were all sat around doing a bit of Christmas present opening, and it was all going very nicely. The odd pair of socks and some smellies etc. Then I was handed a parcel from my Father in Law, which I proceeded to open. I was pleasantly surprised to find two Airfix kits! Apparently he had seen them in a charity shop and thought I might like them. I certainly would.

A Hawker Hunter FGA.9 in a fairly recent boxing, with a coloured picture on the lid, and a 'starter kit' Red Arrows Hawk T.1. I thought it would be nice to actually try and get these made, rather than have them swallowed up in the 'stash'. I was going to do the Hunter first, but after some consideration I decided that it would be good to do a modern state of the art kit that would no doubt have all the detail and perfect fit of parts, thereby speeding up the process. Well, that was how it started out.

However, after pouring over lots of reference pictures and looking at other peoples builds, and then looking at the parts in the kit, well, you know where this is going :rolleyes:

20190113_143151

I wasn't going to do a WIP, but I haven't done one for ages (done a few Group Builds) so thought it might be fun. Maybe I can get some help with various details that are puzzling me, and maybe share a few ideas about adding some detail to this kit.

Frankly, I'm not a fan of these rather deep panel lines, so they had to go.

20190113_142142

I'm not going to go too crazy with the detailing, just do enough to help the finished look. So I'm going to keep the cockpit fairly simple, out of the box, just decals and some panel wash and dry brushing. 

Panel lines subdued with a smearing of plastic putty filler. 

That large hole on the top has been opened out and a little intake vent constructed. I believe that this is an intake for some sort of APU/starter. I can't find a good picture of it, so if anyone can help I'd appreciate it. I am wondering if there should be some kind of mesh grill cover over it?

Thanks for looking :)

Edited by Smudge
  • Like 1

The tailplane panel lines are so deep that they cut through the edges of the parts. Photographs of the tailplanes don't appear to show any lines, so they were filled.

20190113_142238

The vertical fin suffered the same problem, a rather deep line cutting into the leading edge. A puzzle with this kit is that although it has such deep panel lines that are not necessarily correct, where they would be helpful they are actually missing. One example is the bottom of the rudder. The Hawk does have a small gap at the base of the rudder, so this is modelled by using a very fine saw blade to cut the detail in.

20190113_142142

Cheers.

• Like 3

The jet exhaust as modelled by Airfix is a plug in kind of effort, that doesn't really represent the real thing very accurately. I did use the part, but thinned the rear end of it. I then opened out the rear end of the fuselage, and mounted the 'exhaust' in a piece of milliput.

20190116_130605_001

20190113_142216

I think that will look better.

The 'gear legs are somewhat basic, so some brake lines should help to add a little detail.

20190113_142511_001

I can't help feeling that the legs, nose wheel especially, look a little 'extended'. I will need to have a closer look and maybe compress the 'oleo's' slightly.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Smudge
grammar
  • Like 3

The wing fences are a bit too thick. I thinned them down with needle files and sanding sticks. They could probably do with being replaced with plastic card, but they look better. I also added some 'wotsits' to the leading edges. These are some sort of pre stall buffet warning, but I'll leave that there. They are made from stretched sprue, and shaped with the trusty needle files.

20190116_125704

Cheers.

• Like 3

So, looking at reference photo's of Hawks, it became apparent that the central fuselage has a fair amount of various size holes, no doubt for various intakes and drains, and a glass covered inspection point.

Using various size drills, and with reference to the photos, I set to representing these.

20190113_142936

20190113_142733

Both sides are slightly different, so careful study of the pictures will pay off.

To avoid any see through, the holes need to be backed. I used some scraps of plastic card.

20190116_130220

20190116_130338

Quite pleased with that, and I think it will add to the look of the finished model.

Cheers.

• Like 4

Here we are with the fuselage sides cemented together, and the wings on. A fair bit of filler is required at the lower front of the wing to fuselage join, and some care is needed to get it all to blend in, compounded by the intakes also having a join at this point. The small panel that covers the upper fuselage also needs some care to fit snuggly. 

20190121_172800

20190121_172831

The seam along the underside of the forward fuselage needs a bit of attention.

20190121_173029

• Like 2

A view of the rear end. Quite pleased with how the exhaust looks. Reference pictures of non Red Arrow Hawks show a small oblong 'box' above the exhaust. I won't be doing a Red, so I made up this mod (whatever it is) with a small piece of card. I will blend it in a bit later, when the glue dries. There is a nav' light in the centre of this panel,  which I will make up later. 

20190121_172908

All starting to come together now. Lot's of small details to work on, but looking like a Hawk.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 4

I have really just been working on the filling and rubbing down, and paying attention to panel lines and joins etc.

However, I have done a few small details. I wasted my time by replicating the two small boxes with the red white and blue lights on them, that sit on the instrument panel coaming. They looked quite nice, but I had a sudden realisation that these were probably Red Arrows only fits. So off they came, and I replaced them with this. A small wire runs up from the bottom of the screen and is used to power 'something' that can be fixed to the upper instrument panel. Looks a bit like a GPS thingy. Also this small circular item, which appears to fold up from the coaming, possibly for a stopwatch (do pilots still use them?)

20190125_224304

I also tinkered about with the incorrectly shaped centre coaming/instrument cover. I trimmed it back slightly and altered the angle of the panel, as it was sloping backwards rather worryingly.

An area that requires some filler and a little care to fit is the airbrake and lower strakes. I've opted to do mine raised, as it would need some work to make a realistic representation of the interior of the well, and the inside of the brake itself. Maybe on my next one, with some dropped flaps.

20190125_224609

Cheers.

• Like 3

This is my attempt at the small intake just in front of the canopy. This is the first incarnation, it is a little too deep, so I am working on it with a little filler.

20190121_172953

The mount for the pitot is much too thick, so I will replace it with some copper tube.

Thanks for looking.

I've been having a think about the vortex generators on the top of the main wing. They are quite tiny, so are they really worth bothering with in 1/72? Well, Airfix have tried to replicate them, and they are quite a prominent feature. If you know they should be there, it doesn't look quite right when they're missing. Airfix's attempt is probably the best that the technology will allow, however, they are really just little 'blobs', and I seem to have lost most of them with the rubbing down of panel lines etc.

So decision made, I will have a bash at them. I took some very thin plastic card, and rubbed it down on some wet-n-dry paper until it was paper thin. Then cut it up into slivers and slices, and tried to fix one onto the wing.

20190125_224144

20190125_224203

This is just a trial one, but I think it can be done. They need to be more 'triangular' rather than oblong, and possibly even thinner. About eight each side I think.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 4

Excellent work so far. Keeping a keen eye on this as I would like to add one to the stash. Will you be re-scribing the filled in panel lines? 

Ben

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the comments, guy's. 

14 hours ago, BP85 said:

.................Will you be re-scribing the filled in panel lines? 

Ben, I don't plan on having to. I've used a fairly thin filler, and the lines aren't totally filled (they were quite deep) I'm hoping that enough of them will still be visible to give some surface interest. If they have disappeared, I won't worry too much, as the Hawk is quite a clean airframe.

So this evening I thought I would have a go at the vortex generators.

I took a piece of thin plastic card, and rubbed it down on some abrasive sheet, until it was as thin as I could reasonably get it, at least on one edge.

20190126_201307

Then I sliced the thin edge off at the approximate depth of the generators.

20190126_202023

Then cut the strip up into the individual items. I went with 1mm as this is really the smallest workable size.

20190126_205727

What was left of the kit detail was removed. To help me locate the new parts, I used the old location as a guide, as this is quite accurate, and marked it with a pin hole. This won't be lost when running over the area with a fine abrasive pad. 

20190126_202128

Then I was ready for the fiddly bit. Using some 'extra thin' glue and a pair of fine tweezers it was just a case of working steadily, and not getting too irate when the bits stuck to the tweezers instead of the wing.

20190126_210418

20190126_210323

20190126_210234

All on and sanity intact. That wasn't too bad. Now I need to trim them all a little bit, to get the 45 degree angle on the front edge, and maybe just reduce the height a tad. I figured it would be easier to fix them on and then shape them, rather that trying to cut them to the correct shape and then glue them on. I will need to let them dry good and proper before I try that.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 4

The undercarriage legs could all do with being 'compressed' slightly. They appear to have been modelled as if the aircraft was up on jacks, or airborne. 

20190126_194446

I started with the nose gear leg. Simply cutting out the oleo, bending the leg up, and then re-inserting the trimmed oleo part.

20190126_205833

Maybe I should replace the oleo with some brass tube :hmmm:

Cheers.

• Like 1

Stalled on the undercart, the nose leg isn't quite right so I need to think about that. A couple of pictures of the completed 'vortex generators'. Fairly pleased with these.

20190131_174937

20190131_174947

The mount for the pitot was a little heavy, so I replaced it with some copper tube. Also started to add some of the small aerials, from plastic card.

20190131_174820

I have also been intrigued by these little pitot tubes from Master Model. So I invested in one, and a few more other aircraft types. 

20190131_174531

They are tiny, but should look so much nicer than a bit of plastic rod etc. I'll leave that off until the finish.

More copper tube, of various diameter used to represent the small fuel dump

20190131_175556

and the 'Hot Air Pipe'

20190131_175340

Stretched sprue used to make the rear nav' light. Probably fit this after the painting.

20190131_180044

Getting close to having to paint this now 😧

Thanks for looking.

• Like 3

Looking good!

Those two ventral fins are a pleasure to see.

Revell got it in their heads that they are some kind of curved aerofoil shape, instead of flat plates, and I didn't realise until it was way too late.

Prob a good idea to keep that back door shut, too.

It kind of spoils the shape when it's open.

Good luck with the décor. I'm wondering what the scheme is, but all will be revealed shortly....!

• Thanks 1

Outstanding so far, I didnt realise it was missing so much detail.

I built a Hawk last year and found it to be one of the most awkward builds ever...looking forward to seeing your finished build though :)

• Thanks 1

I've come along late to this thread. Having built 7 or 8 Airfix Hawks, I have been delighted with the results. I put Neomega cockpits into 3 of them, but otherwise oob. Yours looks set to be a stunner, so will be following now with great interest,

Hope all continues well through the painting phase,

Cheers,

Pat

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Those two ventral fins are a pleasure to see.

Revell got it in their heads that they are some kind of curved aerofoil shape, instead of flat plates, and I didn't realise until it was way too late.

...................... I'm wondering what the scheme is, but all will be revealed shortly....!

Thanks rob, I wasn't aware of the Revell kit issue. I have several of the older Revell Hawk's (same as Italeri?) This is my one and only Airfix. I think it has the best 'shape'.

I haven't really mentioned the final finish, as I have not been too sure myself. I started out thinking an early red/white/grey would be nice, but that would need some backdating. I have some decal sheets for the modern ish black scheme, RAF Display Hawk 2009 and a couple of Royal Navy FRADU. I think I will do  FRADU scheme, but it could still change. 

14 hours ago, Mikey-1980 said:

........ I didnt realise it was missing so much detail.

I think this is one of 'new' Airfix's earlier efforts. It is generally a nice looking Hawk, however I couldn't help but add a few bits here and there. You could really go to town with the cockpit on this one, as it is a little sparse.

12 hours ago, patmaquette said:

........................will be following now with great interest,

Hope all continues well through the painting phase,

Thank you, Pat.

So, talking about the cockpit, next little job is to paint these up and add some belts etc. I think they will be ok under the canopy. They look better than a lot of seats we've

had to contend with in the past.

20190113_143457

Thanks for looking.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so here's where I am with the seats. Tape seat belts,

20190215_200743

20190215_200526

Some of the areas that were filled and re worked etc. had a coat of primer to check for imperfections. A little sanding here and there, and not looking too bad.

20190215_200026

20190215_200051

I reworked the intake on the top of the nose. I think this is a little better. I also wanted to try and replicate the small sensor on the starboard side of the nose. Very fiddly little job, and I managed to knock it off several times :rolleyes:  but here is the latest attempt,

20190215_200117

I am going to attach the canopy before I do the painting, so attention turns to it. The instructors/rear seat windshield(?) needs to be shaped to fit the contour of the rear instrument console. The Airfix shape is too deep, it should not be positioned behind the pilots seat. My plan is to make a template of the correct shape, and make a replacement part. Stage one,

20190215_200904

These are the two intakes on the upper rear fuselage, cut out with a scalpel blade,

20190215_201111

And a quick pose with the seats in and check fit of the canopy. It's pretty good :)

20190215_201414

Thanks for looking.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The Airfix part was 'modified' for the rear cockpit 'screen. I tried to follow the contour of the rear console, and used needle files to try and get the shape. Wasn't quite as successful as I'd hoped, but it fits fairly well and when the canopy is on it looks ok.

20190225_152428

The supports were added, from stretched sprue.

20190225_152417

Seats in place and canopy tested for fit.

20190225_152637

Need to fix on and blend in the canopy. I think that will do for the cockpit.

Cheers.

• Like 2