Hi Guys,

My second entry into the GB is this old girl, another kit that I didn't build as a kid. Again, it looks pretty good in the box so I am hoping it will be fun. I will be building the scheme on the box which is the same unit as Corsairfoxfouruncle's build so there is a bit of repetition, albeit on a different scale. Again, the decals had yellowed so have been subject to "window bleaching" for a few weeks.

Dave

2019-01-13_06-58-37

• Like 10

Another cracking choice of kit Dave. I've fond memories of these kits from being a kid and glad to see you will be working on them again.

• Like 1

Another build of that NATO stalwart, looking forward to this.

Again, you've got an early moulding, I recall buying one during the 90's and the detail on the wheels was almost lost.

As I've said on Brad's thread, I would dearly love to see a modern kit of this important type.

I shall be following with interest.

38 minutes ago, Peter Lloyd said:

When did this kit first see the light of day? 

I am pretty sure the first release of the Airfix Thunderstreak was from 1974

Rich

Edited by RichG

Ok, the cockpit is built up and painted (a bit haphazardly). It is pretty impressive for a 1974 vintage kit, but as there is no control column or side panel detail I will add the pilot which I wouldn't normally do.

IMG_20190127_113323

• Like 6

Brad, so did I until I found a review online that confimed it is not supplied! Well, the bonus of the cockpit structure is that there is plenty of room for weight so she definitely will not be a tail sitter.

IMG_20190129_105935

• Like 5

Now pretty much fully assembled, I have given it a quick coat of white primer to highlight any problem areas. A few things to touch up prior to painting properly.

IMG_20190204_183726

• Like 6

That looking nice. Make sure you test fit that canopy too, I wasn't able to get mine to fit right, so I left the canopy open.

I like how the pilot seems to have suffered a  severe ejection problem that cut off his legs too!

• Like 1

Hi,

Iconic cold war actor!

Never tried the Airfix kit. I only have the Italeri RF-84F offering, and the surface detail of both kits look very similar.

Take the time to smear a weeny bit if putty at the front of the windscreen!

It will be beautiful!!!

JR

• Like 1

Its looking very good. Is there really no modern kit of this? I got the feeling that Sword we’re going to release one 🤔 

I may be wrong. Regardless of that, this looks great, no matter that it’s a 1974 kit; it’s an important subject and it’s gone together really well. Looks great 👍.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Its looking very good. Is there really no modern kit of this? I got the feeling that Sword we’re going to release on 🤔 

I may be wrong. Regardless of that, this looks great, no matter that it’s a 1974 kit; it’s an important subject and it’s gone together really well. Looks great 👍.

Best regards

TonyT

Sword did release a kit of the RF-84F. It's obviously quite different from the fighter version having the camera nose and wing root intakes. 

• Thanks 1

All the major painting is now done, just a couple of black panels and a touch up of the anti-glare panel to do. Annoyingly, I managed to knock off the windshield so have re-attached it, leavi g a bit of a gap. Out with the filler again....

IMG_20190216_130623

• Like 9

Lovely finish there on the paint. I love the pilot too.

Windshield will be ok fingers🤞 tiny touch of filler 👍.

Thank you for the information, now I’m inspired by this build and Airfix nostalgia, must put one of these on my shopping list. No one tell Mrs. Tiger 🤫

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 3

Ok, not as ready as I thought. I planned to use the kit decals for the red patches at the front and rear of the fuselage; as you can see they are pretty dire. So, after scraping them off I will be masking and spraying again :swear:

IMG_20190224_154125

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Looks as if getting the masking tape and paints out will be a lot less trouble than fighting with those decals.

• Like 1

You are both correct, I did indeed have to break out the masking tape etc. It is now done, not strictly speaking accurate compared to the photos, but it has a pleasing symmetry. Decals now on (and luckily survived), awaiting tanks and wheels and a clear coat. The canopy has not yet been attached.

IMG_20190308_184217

• Like 3