Hi Guys,

I am in with this old girl and the F-84F in the hope of getting my modelling mojo back (my last couple of builds continue to be a struggle). I never built this kit as a kid but it gets good reviews so fingers crossed it will be fun. The decals had yellowed somewhat so they have been taped to the window to bleach them (successfully it seems) but the sheet has curled  a lot!

Dave

2019-01-13_07-03-21

• Like 9

Delighted to see this one getting some attention from you Dave. I can recall it being an enjoyable kit 'back in the day' and been tempted to hunt one down for a nostalgia trip so I'm interested to see what you think of it.

• Like 1

I bought one of those recently. I had to put the decals in a window for a week or two and I've started the rescribing in advance of any actual building work, but it seems like a nice kit for its time. Like Col, I never built one of these as a kid, one of very few Airfix 1/72 aircraft that I didn't get around to buying.

The 'Dog wasn't exactly the prettiest of aeroplanes, which is surprising, given its ancestor!

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

I bought one of those recently. I had to put the decals in a window for a week or two and I've started the rescribing in advance of any actual building work, but it seems like a nice kit for its time. Like Col, I never built one of these as a kid, one of very few Airfix 1/72 aircraft that I didn't get around to buying.

The 'Dog wasn't exactly the prettiest of aeroplanes, which is surprising, given its ancestor!

Cheers,

Mark.

The radome does give the Sabre front end a little of the look of those Korshun equipped Russian jobs, but not quite as scary.

• Like 3

It's a nice kit and that mould is an early edition, I had a later one which showed signs of mould wear.

I got this kit when it first came out and it was one of the first models I painted.

Looking forward to seeing this one come to fruition.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, compared to the F-84F released a year earlier, there is virtually no cockpit detail in this kit (I appreciate there is a series difference). There is a separate instrument panel but that is it bar the seat and the control column. Again, I will add the pilot to hide the lack of detail, and when the fuselage is closed up everything will be hidden anyway. Once again, apologies for the rough painting.

IMG_20190127_113432

• Like 5

Wow, there is quite a difference in there from your other project, I expected to see more based on my own memory but that was 30-odd years ago :lol: 

• Like 1

Col, being lazy I am using Halfords Aluminium rattle can, pics to follow. Slight delay at tge moment due to being in Bruges drinking this stuff with my missus:

IMG_20190209_190837

• Like 4

Now sadly home (and back to work) but there has been progress. The Dog has been sprayed with Halfords Aluminium, and both the anti-glare panel and radome have been painted. I still need to touch up the olive on the panel and paint the odd panel with a different metallic hue but it doesn't look too bad.

IMG_20190211_170918

Edited by rafalbert
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, rafalbert said:

The Dog has been sprayed with Halfords Aluminium

I read this in preview, I was tickled pink at the thought of a shiny, silver pooch strutting about the streets of Southampton...   ...slightly disappointed I won't be seeing a glittering growler when I visit the city.

Nice work with the Sabre in the meantime though.

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...

Now back from a week in Cornwall, she is decalled and awaiting her feet and tanks. Due to their age, I did experience a bit of decal disintigration, but not enough to ruin it.

IMG_20190226_203444

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished, which for me is reasonably quick! I am still surprised at how good this kit is, considering it dates from 1974 and is a series 2 kit. The level of detail is pretty good, and it builds well. Anyway, here she is:

IMG_20190311_184841

• Like 5

Terrific result.  This is a 'childhood kit' for me, built it when I was in 5th class!  I remember being annoyed Airfix chose to do this 'non combat' Sabre rather than the hole-in-the-nose one from Commando comics.

The 50s was such a time of flux in aircraft development, technically and doctrinally.  The Dogship was the epitome of dealing with bombers by a radar-guided, collision-course intercept.  Such a method did not allow more than a moment for a firing pass, hence the use of rockets to make a sort of 'cloud of death' at the spot the radar decided the bomber would be. A sort of interim between a stern chase employing cannon, and guided missiles.