Curtiss Tomahawk IIB

After sealing in the paintwork with Quick shine gloss varnish, I began applying the decals. Armed with some micro sol for luck I started work, slightly worried about applying the shark mouth. All the other decals went on easily, were not too thick and settled well. Then I turned my attention to the mouth. As I'd airbrushed black along the edge of the air intakes, I decided to make my life easier and cut off the lower lip of the mouth. The teeth are slightly misaligned, but that's nothing that can't be fixed, luckily this morning it seems the decals have dried in great condition. Now to seal them in.

IMG_20190203_150701IMG_20190203_150708

• Like 10

Yesterday I began weathering the build, mixing up a dark grey wash for the underside. This I brushed on, allowing it to dry slightly before wiping away the access paint in the direction of airflow. This has left the panel lines nice and grimey.

IMG_20190205_220818

Then mixed up some black and brown, to create a dirt wash for the top, this I applied several times again allowing the wash to dry a little before wiring it away.

IMG_20190205_220824

I then blasted a little black from the exhausts for staining, before adding some rust/ oil streaks to the underside. Not far to go now.

• Like 8

Once the primer was dry, I carefully airbrushed some Vallejo Aluminium over the top and left it to dry overnight.

IMG_20190210_101632

Today I carefully traced the centre circle and cut a piece of green fabric to fit, this I then secured with PVA glue.

IMG_20190210_103927

Leaving it to dry I added the aerial, and other bits to the build before giving it several light coats of Vallejo satin varnish. I then drilled a hole in the stand and aircraft for the tube that would support it. Once these were secured together the build was finished. I have thoroughly enjoyed this kit, it went together really well, and even the tricky sharks mouth decal went on fairly easily. Thanks for joining me on my build journey and for your advice and support.

IMG_20190210_153200

IMG_20190210_153210IMG_20190210_153234IMG_20190210_153247

I will post some more photos of the build in the ready for inspection forum, thanks again.

• Like 10

I've just had a catch up on this, a really nice build & with several in stock, it was good to get some expert input on them. Sorry if I missed it but what Vallejo shades did you use on it, I really like the look of it, I don't like Humbrol 225 as a mid stone shade, even if it is correctly matched, & would like to try some alternatives.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

I've just had a catch up on this, a really nice build & with several in stock, it was good to get some expert input on them. Sorry if I missed it but what Vallejo shades did you use on it, I really like the look of it, I don't like Humbrol 225 as a mid stone shade, even if it is correctly matched, & would like to try some alternatives.

Steve.

Hi Steve,

I struggle getting a consistent mix with Humbrol and find myself pulling my hair out while trying to airbrush it. Hence my conversion to Vallejo, I used Middleton's for the lighter shade and Dark earth for the darker (that was the best match I had and liked the look of). I hope that helps.

Thanks again,

Michelle.

• Thanks 1