Curtiss Tomahawk IIB

My next build is Airfix's 1:72 Curtiss Tomahawk IIB. This kit was one of my Christmas presents and I'm looking forward to getting stuck into the build. I plan to build it straight from the box, with the exception of a homemade stand so the aircraft can be displayed in flight. So here goes, first up is the obligatory photos of the box art and sprues........

IMG_20190113_150630

IMG_20190113_150649

The box contains 2 grey sprues, with little to no flash and nicely detailed panel lines. 

IMG_20190113_150633

There is also a small clear sprue, instruction booklet and small decal sheet. I am pondering whether to try and paint the mouth on the front of the aircraft or not. I plan to use Vallejo acrylics, purely because I find them easier to airbrush. So here goes, I hope I can do the aircraft the justice it deserves.

• Like 10

Michelle, whatever you do, do not paint the shark mouth!!! Especially in this scale! Decals may be a pain to position, especially shark bloody mouths, but they will always look neater than a paint job!

But you are the boss, so...

As long as you are having fun, all is well!

Cheers

JR

• Thanks 1

Will be following this one.  I built this model 4 years ago (wow time flies huh?!) and throuoghly enjoyed it.  If I remember correctly, the sharkmouth didn't join up correctly and I had to paint some of it.  But it wasn't much.  Don;t think I had any other major issues apart from that.  See my attempt below - ignore the thick ez-line first time I was using it.

20247567724_b10c3ed3fb_b.jpg

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Tonight I have airbrushed a little dark earth detailing into the cockpit, really to dirty it up a little, before the build starts.

IMG_20190117_222953

once this was dry, I secured the fuselage halves together (these fitted perfectly, I did dry fit first though), and placed the cockpit floor and interior onto the wings.

IMG_20190117_224923IMG_20190117_224927

These are now pegged together and drying, so far the kit has gone together well........so far!!

• Like 6

I've only finished one of these last week, in Russian markings, there's an rfi thread in the forum. I didn't read the instructions and had a bit of trouble around the nose with the fit of the top decking, fixed with filler, but could have been avoided, also  got the wheels the wrong way around and had to repair that, they're molded with a flat spot... Otherwise a lovely kit and a nice build.

46749404981_7c8b6490d0_z.jpg

My Tomahawk

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/usa/aircrafts-2-3/p-40-warhawk/

Some great refs here, if you haven't seen.

Yeah, a lot of these new moulds have flatted tyres, and rectangular stubs to line them up.

The wheels are not interchange-able.

I think I like it, but it's the instructions that are at fault.

It really needs bringing to attention.

You'll be alright on the next one!.

" You catch me once, shame on you.

You catch me twice, shame on Me"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yeah, a lot of these new moulds have flatted tyres, and rectangular stubs to line them up.

I'm afraid I fall into the trap of only reading the instructions when I get stuck. So I ended up literally jamming the wheels on then cutting them off drilling the oleos and putting .0.5mm brass rod through them and reattaching hte wheels, OH well....

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Since my last post I have fitted the fuselage onto the wings, this went well, the fit is nice with little to no gap and not too much filler needed. I have also fitted the engine cover and tail plane, as with the fuselage this came together nicely.

2019-01-20_01-44-54

A spot of Sanding to do along the seams, and then I can fit the pilot in place and finally the canopy. I'm quite happy with the kit so far......let's hope it lasts!

• Like 7

IMG_20190121_223255

This bottle arrived today and I was excited to put it to the test. I'm used to using cheap car primers so this was my first foray into model primer. I began by testing it on some smaller pieces (the props for my Lancaster), then moved on to priming the Tomahawk. I was really happy with the way the Vallejo primer sprayed, I thinned it slightly and gave the build light coats, but all went well and I'm pretty happy with my purchase.

IMG_20190121_223319

Now I'm getting excited about adding some colour!

• Like 9

7 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

I have found in the past that trying to sand Vallejo paint causes it to "shred" into strips, rather than sand away. Others have also found this - I think you really have to leave it a couple of days to let it cure. 

I agree wholeheartedly with this!

Vallejo primer sprays very nice, but I haven't had any luck sanding it. Sometimes even when masking the top colors with Tamiya tape, the tape lifts the primer leaving bare plastic in its wake 😣

Today I use only UMP/Stynylrez primer but also casting a few glances at that bottle of Mission Models primer that I got.

It's a nice little Tomahawk you have there though!

Good luck with the top painting.

• Like 1

After the Vallejo primer was dry, I mixed up so early black and began preshading the panel lines. As fiddly as this is, I am beginning to enjoy the the technique. Yesterday I matched up my grey acrylic as close as I could to the tiny 127 pot of Humbrol and set to work. This evening I have given the underside another light coat of Vallejo medium grey and am very happy with the effect. The preshading is just visible underneath, and the paint has levelled nicely.

IMG_20190124_225533

• Like 10

Hi Michelle,

really good progress. Keep at it!

No idea how Vallejo primer handles, but listen to others who have had troubles before! Not all of them smoke funny cigarettes!!!

I keep it simple and I use the Tamiya fine primer from a rattle can, in white or grey. Very fine grained indeed and damn strong, damn fast! Your funeral, really. Keep experimenting.

This will be brilliant!

Have fun.

JR

• Thanks 1

Today I have carefully unmasked the build (luckily the primer stayed in place), remasked covering the grey underside and carefully brushed some gloss varnish along the edge with the hope of eliminating and paint bleeds. Then I mixed up a little Vallejo equivalent to Humbrol 93, using 6 drops acrylic to 1 drop of thinner, and began airbrushing. The paint sprayed evenly and settled smoothly on the aircraft. So after a light coat she is now drying in preparation for another coat tomorrow.

2019-01-26_11-08-16

Edited by Shelliecool
  • Like 6

Since my last post I have carefully masked up the camo pattern on the aircraft, brushing a little gloss varnish along the edges of the making to hopefully eliminate any bleeding. I then mixed up some Vallejo dark earth (my usual 5drops paint to 1 drop thinner) and began airbrushing. The paint behaved itself and sprayed evenly, and after another light coat yesterday I have now unmasked the aircraft.

IMG_20190130_175413

The varnish seems to have done the trick as there are no bleeds, and I am really happy with the results.

IMG_20190130_175420

• Like 11

Could you explain your use of the gloss varnish for masking in a bit more detail? I will soon be attempting my first airbrush use in about 25 years and would like to know more.

Chris

On 31/01/2019 at 03:01, dogsbody said:

Could you explain your use of the gloss varnish for masking in a bit more detail? I will soon be attempting my first airbrush use in about 25 years and would like to know more.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I read somewhere (probably on this site) that if you run a little gloss varnish over the top edge of the tape you are masking with, it stops the paint from seeping under that edge. I hope I've explained that better than I think I have?

Thanks,

Michelle.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Shelliecool said:

Hi Chris,

I read somewhere (probably on this site) that if you run a little gloss varnish over the top edge of the tape you are masking with, it stops the paint from seeping under that edge. I hope I've explained that better than I think I have?

Thanks,

Michelle.

Yep! Got it. Thanks.

Chris

• Like 1