Hawker Hurricane Mk.1 P3675 UF*S, 601 Sqn RAF Exeter, Sep 1940. Update 28 Feb 19.

Hi everyone and happy new year!

For the last 6 months or so I have been in the modelling doldrums, I've lost count of the number of threads that I've started only to loose interest at the early stage of the build. This is a model I stared when it was first released back in 2015 only to shelve it at the first hurdle.

Anyway with a new year comes a new enthusiasm for modelling, my wife has allowed me to take over our summer house and convert it into my man cave and I have a real urge to build the RAF airplanes that took part in the Battle of Britain. I already had a Mk.1 Hurricane (this one) and I've bought the Airfix 1/48 Blenheim Mk.1F, Tamiya 1/48 Spitfire Mk.1 (new tool), Airfix 1/48 Defiant Mk.1 and a Tamiya Beaufighter Mk.VI (I need to look into what it will take to convert it into a Mk1), I'd like to find a good 1/48 Gloster Gladiator and I need to try and finish my 1/48 Eduard Lysander.

So, first model first, the Airfix 1/48 Hawker Hurricane Mk.1. I wont bore folks with sprue shots as the can be found anywhere on the web but I will show the box art of the kit that I'm using, the 2015 release.

a05127-hawker-hurricane-mk-box

For the markings I'll use the excellent Xtradecal set X48146 available from Hannants.

s-l1600

Whilst I was looking for information on Hawker Hurricane Mk.1 P3675 UF*S I found a build thread on Britmodeller started by Tonyot, it threw open some interesting questions as to the validity of the picture showing UF*S and its rather gaudy markings for a  RAF figther during the Battle of Britain.

So the aircraft (and picture) in question.

46725947471_27e477bcd6_b.jpg

Picture credited to Asisbiz.

Hawker Hurricane Mk.I UF*S was the regular aircraft assigned to F/L Michael L "Mike" Robinson of No 601 Squadron RAF Exeter during 1940. F/L Robinson claimed 4 a/c destroyed and 1 damaged whilst flying this aircraft until being posted to 238 Sqn on 28th September 1940.

Ok to the build, I've added some extra detail to the cockpit (framework and fuselage sides) and I redid the instrument panel using Airscale decals and I've added some lap belts made from masking tape.

32850844798_5ee9677625_b.jpg

39760867123_5b869c2ba3_b.jpg

32850845148_30e1251596_b.jpg

46725842511_b6971563d1_b.jpg

45810295935_439045c854_b.jpg

46725842531_64fab24813_b.jpg

Since these pictures were taken earlier today I've glued the fuselage to the wings and painted the prop and spinner.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 11

Hi everyone

A small update. I've got the fuselage, wings and horizontal stabilizers on and I've given then a very light sand and polish. To highlight any areas that need attention I've sprayed a primer coat of XF-66 and there are several areas that need a little work, although its better than I had any right to hope for..

IMG_0025

IMG_0026

IMG_0027

IMG_0028

IMG_0029

IMG_0030

IMG_0031

IMG_0032

IMG_0033

As you can see the wing leading edge needs a little work as does the area where the wing meets the fuselage, but it will only be a little work there is nothing too drastic to worry about and even better any re scribing should be kept to a minimum and the areas that need it should be easy to rework. Over all I'm quite happy with how this is going.

Cheers

Iain.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Good to see you back Iain, with what looks like some pretty rapid progress.

Happy New Year to you too.

John

Morning John - Its nice to be back in the saddle so to speak. The Hurricane is coming along nicely, I spent an hour last night making good the seams on the wing leading edges and fuselage and I drilled out several holes that appear to be present on the forward fuselage as highlighted in the picture below..

IMG_1484

Cheers

Iain

• Like 4

Hiya

Small update. I've manged to get her painted. It took me over 2 hours to mask and only 10 minutes to paint! But I am happy with how she turned out.

The only problems I encountered were the camouflage schemes I was using as a reference were for the B scheme not the A so I had to reverse everything when I masked her and I ran out of Dark earth paint mid way through painting her so I had to improvise with what I had in stock...

IMG_0042IMG_0043IMG_0044IMG_0045IMG_0046IMG_0048 (1)IMG_0049IMG_0050

..With the canopy removed..

IMG_0051IMG_0052

..Well that's that for now.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 14

7 hours ago, mick said:

great work

5 hours ago, Antb said:

That looks rather splendid iain. 

Cheers gents much appreciated 👍

So I've added the radio mast (might be a stupid idea), drilled a small hole for the antenna wire and given her a gloss coat, oh and I added the prop just to give a little colour...

IMG_0054IMG_0055IMG_0056

..as they say in cartoon land..

'Thats all folks'

Iain

• Like 7

Looking very nice. But not sure you have the right demarcation between sky and top side camouflage correct on the nose. To much of a straight line. Sorry about spotting that but thought you should know.

23 hours ago, Paul J said:

Looking very nice. But not sure you have the right demarcation between sky and top side camouflage correct on the nose. To much of a straight line. Sorry about spotting that but thought you should know.

Hi Paul

You are absolutely right there should be a slight curve along the demarcation between the Sky and engine cowl camouflage (see below), when I masked it it looked like I had the the curve but as the pictures show it ain't there. I'm not going to try and resolve it as I don't have any Dark earth paint at the moment and I really want to push on and get this one finished, its been hanging around for too long. 

File_003

Photo credited to SJLPHOTO.CO.UK

21 hours ago, crobinsonh said:

very nice build

Thank you.

• Like 1

Hi everyone

Just a quick update. This evening I decided to start on adding the decals to my Hurricane and I started with the tail. The decals from Xtradecal are beautiful however I couldn't bet the rather large fin flashes to sit right so I decided to mask em up and paint them. Now I've done this once or twice in the past with, if I do say so myself, rather good results. So out came the masking tape and away I went. I sprayed the whole tail white then masked (using some cheap masking tape from Hobby Craft) for the red. When I removed the masking tape to expose the red flash horror upon horror I found that the red had bled under the masking tape into the white - grrrrrrrrrr - so I finished off masking sprayed the blue and re masked the tail and redid the white, this time using my preferred Frog masking tape cutting it into the desired 3 mm strips..

IMG_0061IMG_0062

...Now looking at the finished results they still look rather ropy (they looked ok when I was taking the pictures), I think I'll re examine them tomorrow evening once the paint has fully cured. A job that should have taken me an hour at the most has taken all evening and it still isn't right!

Night all

Iain

• Like 5

On 13/01/2019 at 15:52, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

Whilst I was looking for information on Hawker Hurricane Mk.1 P3675 UF*S I found a build thread on Britmodeller started by Tonyot, it threw open some interesting questions as to the validity of the picture showing UF*S and its rather gaudy markings for a  RAF figther during the Battle of Britain.

So the aircraft (and picture) in question.

there are other Hurricane of  601 sq photos also showing the tricolour spinner, once you know to look for it.

I remember helping with the decals,  there was a thread here  dealing with this, I had to draw lines on a photo to convince the designer that stroke on the 'F' was longer than the U, and a few other tweaks.

Sadly the thread has gone.   Looking good Iain, 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

there are other Hurricane of  601 sq photos also showing the tricolour spinner, once you know to look for it.

I remember helping with the decals,  there was a thread here  dealing with this, I had to draw lines on a photo to convince the designer that stroke on the 'F' was longer than the U, and a few other tweaks.

Sadly the thread has gone.   Looking good Iain, 

Hey Troy 

Thanks for the kind words mate.

I've read many of your threads/posts ref Hurricanes and you are a gold mine when it comes to the more obscure facts. I always find the information you impart fascinating - so thank you.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone

Just a quick update on this wet and windy Saturday (well it is in Kernow anyway!)

IMG_0068

IMG_0069

IMG_0066

As you can see most of the decals are on, I've just to add the stencil data which is a job for this afternoon. The only real boob that I made was trying to blend in a scratch on the port wing, I forgot that I mixed my own home brew dark earth as I'd run out of Valejo 029 and my match is as you can see rubbish, however in real life it isn't as bad as all that and in a funny way it adds to the overall look of the plane (even though its not historically correct). Oh yeah and I used the wrong roundels on the wings and fuselage, the red matches the colour I mixed for the tail but it is brighter than the cheat line but again I can live with that as once its been weathered it shouldn't be as noticeable.

Laters

Iain

• Like 5

On 2/9/2019 at 7:05 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

It was damaged, repaired, & repainted with local DE ? 😉

That my friend was exactly the kind of thing I had in mind!

I've managed a little more work on my Hurricane over the last few days. All of the decals are on, she is now on her spindly little legs, the under carriage doors are painted and ready to go, the wheels/tires have been painted with tire creep marks, the rudder has been painted and fitted, I redid the demarcation line between the bottom of the air frame and the engine cowling and she has received her final gloss coat before weathering...

IMG_0080

IMG_0079

IMG_0074

IMG_0072

IMG_0076

...I'm away with work this week so no more will be done until next weekend when I might get chance to finish her. On my list of things still to do are:

pant and fit the nav / landing / ident lights

fit the antenna wire

finish the canopy with grab handles on both the out side and inside

scratch a shoulder harness and display it hanging over the cockpit sides

Add the sighting thingy on the top of the cowling

fit the under carriage doors

paint and fit the pitot tube

paint and fit the gun sight

paint and fit the rear view mirror

paint and fit the exhausts

weather the air frame

flat cote and finish!

As you can see I still have a fair way to go but she will get finished this side of 2020!

Anyway cheers all and have a great week.

Iain

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, GrimReaper09 said:

That’s a pretty Hurri. I love the scheme. 

Hey reaper

yeah it has to be one of the more colourful schemes to be found on a Hurricane, I just need to get her finished now.

cheers bud

Iain

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

I've spent a little time on my Hurricane over the past few days and I've started to weather her. Initially I was quite happy with the results but I'll be honest I'm not too sure now, the underneath looks ok but I'm not sure about the upper surfaces, I wanted to go for used but not abused, what do you think? I've also had issues with the paint lifting (can you spot it?) but I think I can cover it up/mask it...

IMG_0084

IMG_0085

IMG_0090(1)

IMG_0092

And one with the prop on..

IMG_0095

Any comments, advise or observations are more than welcome.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, DJJunis said:

Iain,

This is an absolutely brilliant presentation and build. Very well done!

All the Best!

Don

Hey Don

Thanks for the kind words mate I always appreciate it. 

Take care buddy

Iain