R2 D2 best blue paint

Whofan

I wonder if anyone here has recommendations for the blue paint for R2 D2?

I've picked up a couple of the retrokit R2 bananaas kits, and looking at my blue paints I'm struggling to find one that is a close match to the blue colour on R" D2.

I've seen a Vallejo Air Ultramarine Blue colour used in a WIP here, but my best option for paints locally seems to be Citadel paints, and one of  Caledor Sky, Macragge Blue, or templeguard blue.

Failing that, the best paint I seem to have is Tamiya clear blue over white primer and tamiya flat white.

I've also got the option of getting  artist's paints from the range.

If it is any help, the Vallejo ultramarine blue you mention seems to be an exact match for the blue plastic used in the Bandai kits of R2:

A bit of blue

The blue on the rectangular panel on the side and the octagon is the Vallejo, the Other blue in the picture is all kit plastic. Please excuse the rather naff attempt at weathering I was starting there - I’ve learned a lot since then!

1 hour ago, The Chief Smeg said:

If it is any help, the Vallejo ultramarine blue you mention seems to be an exact match for the blue plastic used in the Bandai kits of R2:

A bit of blue

The blue on the rectangular panel on the side and the octagon is the Vallejo, the Other blue in the picture is all kit plastic. Please excuse the rather naff attempt at weathering I was starting there - I’ve learned a lot since then!

Thanks for that. I think it was your WIP I saw that mentioned the Vallejo blue.

It really does look like a near perfect match for the blue on the Bandai models.

The retrokit little r2d2 minion - as that's what it is - might be able to sustain a slightly different shade of blue, and I'm hoping that one of the citadel paints I mentioned is as close as you can get to the "authentic" blue colour as you did with the Vallejo ultramarine blue.

It 's all good fun, isn't it !

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FG2Si said:

This website has a list of the colour call outs from the Bandai instructions translated to English.

http://www.mech9.com/2015/04/112-r2-d2-r5-d4-construction-manual.html?m=1

If you scroll down a bit there's a chart with various paint lines.

Hope that helps. 

Carl

That's great - thanks! I feel a trip to the LMS coming on :D

Edited by Whofan

• 2 weeks later...

To finish this I recently purchased a  Daler Rowney set of acrylic paints which includes a near perfect match for the R2D2 colour, their ultramarine blue.

Thanks for the advice and help offered.

• Like 1