Scrap Yard Gems

Sabrejet

I wonder if this is a pastime for anyone else? I used to tour the scrapyards searching for Humber bits but took my camera along just in case I saw anything interesting. If you have anything maybe post it here?

For starters, the following are from a visit to Tite & Sons scrapyard in Lyons Gate near Dorchester in deepest darkest Dorset, circa 1986. The scrapyard is still there but not like this. Suffice to say, always ask permission!

First off, pre-war Standard Flying Eight:

car (30)

Mark Hillman Minx: famous only for giving the AC Cobra its tail lights!

car (33)

And a Minx Californian (also with tail lights that would later be fitted to the AC Cobra) I remember we alerted another owner about this car and I think it was rescued for spares. Not sure what the van was, but at left I think is an Austin 3-litre hearse and at right a Capri Classic.

car (36)

Next a couple of Alpines: Series I/II and a III I think: both with the big fins and one with the side windows lacking quarterlights, so an early one. And still with Lucas J Lights fitted!

car (32)

car (37)

Ford Pop:

car (35)

Next a Singer Gazelle Series estate (Series III?): never a common car:

car (34)

Hillman Husky which looks like it had been banger-raced:

car (47)

Another rare one nowadays: early low-roof Series Hillman Minx (Series II?):

car (49)

And finally a lovely-looking and eminently restorable Austin Devon van:

car (48)

Any more for any more?

Edited by Sabrejet
  • Like 13

I remember these days very well.

Looking for second hand parts for my Mini...and always so many many other things to be found...

1984 me and my Mini broke down at Donigton Park (25th of the Mini), on bankholiday I found the scrapyard and also a cooper head to fix my little one...

Just around the corner I could buy a new headgasket, what a dream...

And there was so many other interesting stuff to be found...

Great times

Cheers Marco F.

• Like 1

With the cost of film being an issue for me I never thought of taking a camera with me to a scrapyard when looking for parts for a series of "rust on wheels" that were ,my first cars (1974 -1979) and not all of those were second hand! so thanks @Sabrejet for posting these.

Those scrapyards seemed to work on trust: one - that they trusted you not to injure yourself and two - they trusted you to show them the parts you wanted and pay for them. What happened to those days?

• Like 2

I used to go round the motorbike breakers' with a couple of mates, and you were trusted to grab what you needed and pay for it by weight, unless it was something 'in demand' like a fairing panel or fuel tank. 

Those days are gone now, Health and Safety saw to that - and people's stupidity.

• Like 1

I've always wanted to go the the U,S.A for two or three weeks on holiday and spend it wondering around some of their scrapyards,heaven...I bought a couple of videos in the 80's called Yank Scrapyards or something similar (i'll have to try and find them and if they're still ok get them transferred to dvd)....

Edited by Vince1159
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

I've always wanted to go the the U,S.A for two or three weeks on holiday and spend it wondering around some of their scrapyards

You certainly now how to show your other half a good time Vince. She'll be thrilled.

• Haha 3

Well here goes some more. This time a breaker near Manston in Kent, which I think was called Westwood's.

Vauxhall Velox (?):

Karmann Ghia:

Daimler (Majestic Major?) and Humber Snipe to left:

A Jaguar which would probably nowadays be a desirable restoration prospect:

Triumph Mayflower and another Minx Californian to the right:

Austin 16s:

Ford V8 Pilot:

Series IV Humber Super Snipe:

Nuther Daimler:

Sunbeam Alpine Series IV:

Sunbeam Talbot 90 and Ford 100E Pop/Anglia/Prefect at right:

12a

And this one we managed to buy (for £200 if I recall): it was a rare 4-speed manual 289 V8; engine and gearbox went into a Cobra replica and the rest went to a Mustang enthusiast:

Finally, serious kudos if anyone knows what this is: I'll leave it for a bit and then announce the winner in a day or two:

Edited by Sabrejet
  • Like 6

Very interesting photos. The front of that Karmann Ghia looks a little odd, were the two front radiator grills just a decorative touch? I know the engine was in the back, but I always assumed that they had some function.

• Like 1

Not sure about the Karmann but yes I think that was a Triumph 2000/2500 on top of the Super Snipe. I also recall that the pale blue car to the right of the Velox photo was a Buick with the 215 engine which later became the Rover 3500 V8: first time I'd seen the engine.

• Thanks 1

On 1/17/2019 at 7:26 PM, Sabrejet said:

Well here goes some more. This time a breaker near Manston in Kent, which I think was called Westwood's.

Vauxhall Velox (?):

Karmann Ghia:

Daimler (Majestic Major?) and Humber Snipe to left:

A Jaguar which would probably nowadays be a desirable restoration prospect:

Triumph Mayflower and another Minx Californian to the right:

Austin 16s:

Ford V8 Pilot:

Series IV Humber Super Snipe:

Nuther Daimler:

Sunbeam Alpine Series IV:

Sunbeam Talbot 90 and Ford 100E Pop/Anglia/Prefect at right:

12a

And this one we managed to buy (for £200 if I recall): it was a rare 4-speed manual 289 V8; engine and gearbox went into a Cobra replica and the rest went to a Mustang enthusiast:

Finally, serious kudos if anyone knows what this is: I'll leave it for a bit and then announce the winner in a day or two:

So what was the answer

6 hours ago, Fastcat said:

Is it an Ashley 750. Or a Markham-Peasey?

Dave

Not bad: I knew the Ashley but the Markham-Peasey is a new one (like it!). Nope again :)

5 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Ginetta G4?

Steve.

Another fine guess but sadly no. Any more? (if it had been a G4 I think I'd have rescued it - love them!)

• Like 2