AIRFIX COMET 4C DAN AIR

Hi everyone just finished this old classic,built pretty much oob with addition of wing conversion from 26decals, obviously it doesnt compare with modern kits but it was enjoyable and provided lots of nostalgia.                                                                                                                         Cheers Michael.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         46001929254_0dbd0b7c52_k.jpgDSC01060 by michael hobday, on Flickr                                                            31784976867_e8d7793e54_k.jpgDSC01059 by michael hobday, on Flickr                                                             46001926394_8cbfa2cc58_k.jpgDSC01057 by michael hobday, on Flickr                                                        32851515348_4a1cee0453_k.jpgDSC01056 by michael hobday, on Flickr                                                            32851514878_a6bb59e51b_k.jpgDSC01055 by michael hobday, on Flickr

• Like 51

Great job ,brings memories back of working at Dan's engineering base at Lasham , near Basingstoke, late 70s/early 80s . Looks really good .

All the lettering and fin logos etc were done by a sign writer , arrived in  his Moggy Thou van ,usually had an apprentice with him . I could sit and watch him with his long haired brushes ,makeshift compass thing , a master at work.

Well done ,thanks for showing !

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 2

Hi Michael,

Great job, this is my favourite Dan Air Comet livery. Really nice natural metal finish on the wings and I notice you added the pipes on the top of the wingtips not many do! I'm guessing these are for dumping fuel?

I too remember watching these at Lasham.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 8:49 PM, Turbofan said:

dumping fuel?

Yes they are. I remember my first day in one of the hangars at Lasham 78 ish they were bringing in a 4B the left wing only just cleared the office/stores roof. There were no wing men or watchers on the tail ,the tug driver was doing it blind. Ducking around in his seat trying to find something to hit with his Comet . He barely made it past some 727/707 jacks . People walking around hands in pockets giving him no help. We were on a weeks contracting from Brize while we were on stand down . We would have had at least 5 people, 2 on tail one on each wing tip and somebody in charge of the towing team at Brize in to a hangar . We soon gave this place the name Lashup ! It was a weird place to work and some of the funniest things happened there.

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 2

Someone on here said the 26 Decals Comet 4C resin set just replaces the Airfix Comet 4B's wngtips and does not actually 'extend' them to the correct wingspan. Not sure if that is true or if so, how much greater the wingspan should be in 1/144th?  

• Like 1

Lovely job on that Michael, I've long admired this scheme, I've got the kit & some 26decals to do it, the Airfix kits with this scheme seemed to have all been snapped up by the time I woke up to airliners. :( Seeing yours fills me with hope for something similar one day.

Steve.

• Like 1

I had a go building the Airfix Dan Air issue of this kit in the early 1980s. I found that the cheat lines (which were divided into two segments for each size) were of different width and mismatched where they met in the middle. So, if you want a Dan Air scheme on your Comet, don't worry about seeking out the Airfix Dan Air issue - just go for after market decals.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/14/2019 at 12:31 AM, AMB said:

Someone on here said the 26 Decals Comet 4C resin set just replaces the Airfix Comet 4B's wngtips and does not actually 'extend' them to the correct wingspan. Not sure if that is true or if so, how much greater the wingspan should be in 1/144th?  

Adrian, it doesn't answer your question directly but this might be of interest. The Brtimodeller search engine will probably throw up several other threads.

Dave G

You’ve done it again Michael, another blast from the past. Very good to look at . Thanks for navigating me back on to this forum and the model’s pretty good too!