Dassault Mystere 1V

Hi Chaps 

Now for something completely different. How about one of these for your front line defence? 

20190112_205750

I got this from Victoria Hobby centre in Melbourne Australia in January 2003 when I was there for the Avalon air show. It's been lurking in the stash for 15 years so this GB will be it's moment in the sun. 

The parts 

20190102_202134

20190102_202201

It looks pretty easy so the hard part might be the silver finish and the canopy. The canopy is currently taped to the window using the glorious  Thailand sun to make it clear again. The canopy also has a dent and I found a fax (  remember those? ) in the box which I sent to the manufacturer in 2003 asking for a new one. After 15 years and no reply i don't think they are going to send me one. 

A challenge for later? 

Colin w

• Like 9

Nice and  great but challenging project!

On mine I only got as far as sanding the rough surface.... time to dig it out again?!?

What Sqd will you do?

Edited by exdraken
  • Thanks 1

A challenge indeed but so long as the various components fit together well I'm sure a lovely model will come forth. There's certainly some interesting parts included. With only two construction stages you'll be finished within the first week :lol: 

• Haha 2

Having just read the review of this kit on Modelling Madness I think the fitting of components is going to be a bit of a challenge as well. 

Roll on Saturday so I can make a start. 

I love the Mystère, very redolent of the Cold War and quite colourful too.

These jets were used by the Armée de L'Air for a long time finally being replaced by the Alpha Jet so watch your markings choice fits into the time frame!

Another thread I'll be following.  Good luck with your build.

• Like 1

Cheers guys. 

The markings are a bit elusive as all non-Israeli scheme seem to be natural metal with a red stripe. I'll investigate the kit scheme as it's unlikely that we will see many others. 

Colin 

Just making a start on the cockpit which is actually quite good. 

• Like 2

Here is the start for this GB.

The cockpit and air intakes is all one lump of resin. No need for additional nose weight. The kit seat is ok but I 'll use this one from PJ products as it's better. 

20190105_145433

Cockpit secured and painted dark grey. I can fit the instrument panel later. 

Since the undercarriage doors are closed on the ground I don't see the need to fit the resin bays. Also the resin undercarriage doors are a bit rough and different sizes to the holes so I decided not to use them either.  I have just plated over the holes with plastic card and will fill and scribe later on when I do the lower fuselage. 

20190110_220454

Colin 

• Like 6

Nice progress Colin. I was wondering how well the resin insert would fit into the nose area; an elegant solution to a complicated area of this machine if it isn't too much trouble to get a good fit.

Nice progress Colin, pleased to see the resin fits the IM plastic reasonably well.

The tip of the bullet in the intake should be clear perspex, I think its the dielectric cover for a gun laying radar, it shows up quite nicely in the photo here

Another thing is the gun link collector fairings were smaller on the earlier RR Tay engined versions and the larger ones shown here were fitted to later H-S Verdon engined aircraft.  Later aircraft also had a slab tail whilst earlier used conventional elevators.

Some of these features got conflated in the Azur kit.

EDIT: Just found this great walkround for the type, the first picture shows the rubbing plate for the slab tailplane but looking at this review on Modelling Madness I can see they're included on the etched fret.

One last thing, I'm not sure if the colour scheme depicted in the box decals are appropriate for a 1950's period Mystère, I think its for a 1970s/1980s era weapons trainer of EC.1/8 Saintonge.  There are these Berna Decals for the type though, available here and here.  Alternatively, you could find a 1950's scheme and adjust the kit markings accordingly.

Edited by Wez
extra gen added
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 13/01/2019 at 11:32, Colin W said:

The canopy is currently taped to the window using the glorious  Thailand sun to make it clear again.

that works (temporarily) for decals, but plastic yellowing is a chemical change according to various threads on here in the past.   

Useful to know as I have a couple of these stashed.    Isradecal did do an all-singing all-dancing sheet for the IAF version but that's OOP.

A quick lok at Wiki notes the Indian Airforce had 110, as opposed to 61 for the Israelis (which i did not know)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dassault_Mystère_IV 

this was also on wiki,  note the funky Patroullie de France scheme,  and the Indian, which is pretty simple.

1024px-MystereIVweb.jpg

By Newresid [email protected] - Own work work travail personnel dessin vectoriel vector drawing, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=10754526

bit off topic, but a neat bit of film of the Patrouille De France Mystere IVs here

which might amuse, and has a few good close ups

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Wez said:

Interesting how the Suez striped aircraft is captioned as being from 1960...

Hmm, that is strange, perhaps nobody bothered to clean the stripes off this one and it was still going around Dijon in this scheme during the 60s?

• Like 1

Thanks for the info on the schemes everyone. I quite like the Patrouille De France scheme but it would make me ineligible for the GB so I'll stick to silver and a stripe. Thanks for the pictures posted Troy and the video clip. These planes have the early French seat and its green with a simple loop for the blind/ejection handle. Maybe I'll use the kit seat after all.

The sheet is obviously well used as here is the Mystere at Flixton done in the 2-EG scheme from the above set, complete with Suez Stripes.

20170506_090112

Meanwhile in Norwich this silver bird has the additional intakes for the later engine as noted by Wez above. Both planes have the bulged link collectors and the plates for the all flying tail. The clear dome on the nose is actually supplied in the kit on the canopy vacform sheet. Both planes also have the nose doors open which should be incorrect.

20170506_135124

Squadron 8 seems to be the most popular as 8-NS is the kit scheme, 8-NE is on the sheet above and the Midland Air Museum have chosen 8-NV for their example.

Colin

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Colin W said:

Squadron 8 seems to be the most popular as 8-NS is the kit scheme, 8-NE is on the sheet above and the Midland Air Museum have chosen 8-NV for their example.

I think that's because they were the last users of the type, I guess it's only natural that their aircraft ended up in museums.

• Like 1

Thanks to the suggestions on Modelling Madness I made a few preliminary checks and have got quite a lot done this week. 

I sanded the wings quite a lot so when joined they fit the root stubs taking away a lot of work. Fuselage went together easily with the exhaust fitted to a piece of sprue inside. Some filling still required but not too much. 

20190124_212401

Classic 50s jet shape! 

Colin 

• Like 7

A few more hours spent on the main airframe leaves it looking pretty much the same. It's had several sanding sessions with wet and dry down to 2500 grit so now ready for the silver once the canopy is on.

20190127_114755

After 4 weeks in the Thai sun the canopy is much  better and almost clear. It's very poorly made though and doesn't fit well at all .

20190128_202605

The cockpit is very good. The instrument panel and coaming are 1 piece with a pe panel face and some nifty rudder pedals. I'll stick some gauges to the white and put the pe on top once it's finished. 

20190110_220557

Colin 

• Like 7

Hi Chaps 

Seat finished and installed. I decided not to guess what the French seat looked like so went with the Martin Baker. 

20190130_211304

Here's a picture of the underside which has received a lot of attention. Main gear doors and front nose door replaced with plastic card and filler. The whole thing polished with 2500 wet and dry. 

20190130_211852

Colin 

• Like 4

Well is been a bit of a challenge this weekend with 3 steps forward and 2 steps back. Here's the underside. Primer finished,  silver done in wheel wells and top coat finished. Undercarriage fitted and tail added. 

20190203_213312

Meanwhile on top, the silver finish was not good enough and many scratches shone through. Also the rough surface of the original moulds on the fuselage didn't match to the smoothness of the wings. Only 1 option, to sand it down again. I didn't take a picture but here's how it looks now. Since I have to paint it again I decided to paint the walkways and anti glare strip first. The centre section of the wing will be darker with the different base coat. Of course during polishing the top I knocked off the delicate PE olio linkages I spent last week fitting. 

20190203_213338

I've chosen a scheme. 12-ZE appeared at the 1955 Paris air show so this will be my scheme. I've printed out the decals ready for preparing the finish.

Colin 

• Like 4

I did manage to get a bit more done last night after I posted. Anti glare panel and walkways masked and white added to the fuselage as foundation for the red pinstripe. 

20190203_222614

Colin 

• Like 3