SAAF C-47TP

Since the Tu-22 is progressing nicely and I'm waiting for more paint to move it along, time to start something else: A SAAF C-47TP "Turbo Dakleton". This is a turboprop Dakota conversion which replaced the Shack in SAAF maritime patrol service. It has a longer fuselage, twin PT-6A turboprops driving 5-blade propellers, and various other differences from the standard Dak.

I'm using the Alley Cat conversion and Airfix 1/72 Dakota. You get a new one-piece forward fuselage, a new floor for the forward fuselage, engines and props, clear parts including parts for the tall windows in the rear fuselage, various bits of PE, and a small decal sheet.

1/72 C-47TP

I've started by doing all the cutting on the fuselage - here's the off-cut nose of the Airfix kit with the resin nose for comparison:

1/72 C-47TP

And the cut-outs for the new windows in the rear fuselage, with the clear resin inserts:

1/72 C-47TP

1/72 C-47TP

I won't attach the clear inserts yet - I think that had better wait until the fuselage is together. 

I'm raring to go on this one. I have a feeling it's going to really kick-start the mojo, which has been sapped a bit by the two builds in the Grumman GB. So there might be some fairly rapid progress on this and the Tu-22.

thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 11

I did a pretty basic job on the interior - I expect there won't be much visible, particularly since most of the windows on one side are blanked off - so have got the fuselage together pretty quickly. Then I attached the nose and found this:

C-47 TP WIP

The resin nose is at least 2mm wider than the Airfix fuselage and it looks almost as bad from the side. Fortunately the resin is pretty thick so it's possible to sand it down. So I got to work with a coarse sanding block and got it back to the right size. Some of the resin - particularly under the nose - is now very thin but I've got away with it.

Then I glued in the clear window pieces in the rear fuselage and sanded them flush. End result was this:

C-47 TP WIP

C-47 TP WIP

The windows have polished up ok and will get a coat of clear. I've also done a bit of describing since I took these photos - as you can see, the surface detail on the resin nose was obliterated in a few places - and I've added the wing root fillets. The conversion kit includes a resin replacement for the starboard fillet, which includes what looks like a couple of sonobuoy launchers - pretty much the only outward sign of the maritime patrol role.

Thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 12

Julian, does the conversion set suggest a base kit for it to be used on?

Most of the time I find the conversion set parts are undersized

Anyway, it looks  like you have the initial assembly sorted, hope the rest is a bit more straight forward. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/24/2019 at 12:45 PM, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Julian, does the conversion set suggest a base kit for it to be used on?

Yes - the Airfix kit that I'm using! The funny thing is the replacement nose seems to be a cast of the Airfix part, with a few modifications. Anyway, it's on now, and things moved forward pretty quickly after that. Windows and doors are on, there's some PE for the strengthening plates around the new side windows, and the wings went on ok. Then the resin engines which were a better fit than the nose was, still needed a little work to blend them in, but no more than you'd expect. And here we are - a little rescribing and a bit of a clean up needed, then on to masking and painting. Maybe it'll get a coat of primer tomorrow.

C-47TP WIP

cheers

Julian

• Like 11

Very nice work on the Dakleton! I've bought two of the Basler turbo-prop conversion sets from Alleycat, one for a Colombian AC-47T, and one for a Mauritanian transport, and on both the nose seemed to be the correct width for the newish Airfix C-47 kit. I guess you just got unlucky, or maybe the Dakleton conversion set is a bit off. At any rate, you seem to have everything in hand now. Maybe watching this come together will get me back to my AC-47T - I can hear it calling me now from the closet where I buried it...

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Slight correction.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reminds me of a Vauxhall Calibra that I once owned.  That was a 'cut & shut' job too - but you've done it much better.

(sorry if that doesn't make sense in Australia).

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, CliffB said:

Reminds me of a Vauxhall Calibra that I once owned.  That was a 'cut & shut' job too - but you've done it much better.

(sorry if that doesn't make sense in Australia).

Makes perfect sense (I didn’t always live down under!). Can only vaguely remember the Calibra though - was it a sporty version of a Cavalier? Also seem to remember a lot of fuss made in the media about dodgy cut and shuts around then - something about cars coming apart at the seams when they crashed - hope that didn’t happen to you!

• Like 1

Got some paint on today. Was a bit hasty in removing the masking tape - after I'd done that I noticed some rather obvious spots where I hadn't got enough coverage with the dark sea grey. Will have to mask up again and go over them tomorrow, but shouldn't be too much hassle - I won't have to completely redo the masking.

C-47TP WIP

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Progress is looking good, where did you get your conversion from? I am tempted to have a go at one f these myself!

Thanks Ray. I think I got it direct from Alleycat. Always found them fine to deal with if a bit slow sometimes. They do a few different South African C-47TPs and Basler BT-67s as well - I’m tempted to try one of the Baslers some time.

• Like 1

Got some decals on today - not quite all of them, there are a couple of stencils to go. I've also started painting the props and other bits that will go on after I've finished the decals and given it a satin coat.

C-47TP WIP

• Like 7

What a nice project you have going on..i started a slow burning project as well with a TP 47 and i did found that its nose had the same diameter problem as yours

The basler noses were perfectly shaped.. i corrected the problem by making a cut in the middle of the upper and lower fuselage   of the resin nose and that worked at least i was able to keep my detail in that way..

Nevertheless yours will be a fine example of a South African Dakleton...

cheers Jan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finished! Painting and aligning all those prop blades was a pain in the proverbials. But done now!

More photos in the gallery shortly. I've enjoyed this one - think I might do another Dak or two in the STGB!

cheers

Julian

1/72 C-47TP

• Like 9