1:48 Macchi MB-326 in RAAF colours

Ever had one of those kits that end up being just a little disappointing? I picked the old Esci 1:48 scale MB326 going cheap at the swap'n'sell at the local model expo last year. While there I also picked up a set of Hawkeye decals for an all grey 76 Squadron RAAF machine based at Williamtown, NSW late 80's/early 90's. Should have been straight forward - right? Well, it ended up being shelf sitter for the best part of six months. First off, why did they mould it in that hideous, hard to cover, orange plastic? The canopy was all scratched and semi opaque.  It may also have been my cack handed abilities, but it didn't fit together very well either. With the finish line in sight, the decals were a bit of a disappointment. It is the first time I have used white decals to go under the main decals - and sadly the roundels were just a bit too big for the wings and too small for the fuselage. I had to use some of the other markings from the Esci sheet - which silvered like crazy and were also very fragile. Finally I made a right mess of getting the undercarriage on. I wasn't going to let it defeat me though - I somehow managed to get to the finish line. I doesn't look two bad on the shelf from a distance, and it really is a very attractive little aircraft. Brush painted with Tamiya acrylics, a little bit of an oil wash and a final coat of semigloss clear from a Tamiya rattle can. Thanks for looking.

46723331111_9c36f77184_b.jpg

45998624424_8ceac09cac_b.jpg

45998624484_95110cde8e_b.jpg

45998624934_662df8e2a3_b.jpg

31781899327_3c31237bf2_b.jpg

Edited by SimonL
  • Like 27

Looks very nice, though a little strange to my eyes to see an RAAF Macchi in grey 😎.

As to why the kit is moulded in orange, I think it's because the Italian MB.326's were painted orange (and the RAAF orange and white) -- kinda like Red Arrows Hawks from any manufacturer being moulded in red. Any other colour scheme is the responsibility of the modeller, to their minds.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi Simon L. A very late response from wintery,lockdown Melbourne . Came across your Macchi whilst researching some more RAAF Macchi colour schemes. I think I'll go with your scheme. I know what you mean by the "lovely" orange plastic. Urgghh!!! I had a lovely set of Roulette decals and had planned to do it in the "Fanta scheme". Layers of primer to block the orange out then overall gloss white, then some tricky Tamiya masking for the gloss orange and aluminium bits. Masking removed..........................only to find.....................tape marks all over the gloss finish. So much for using acrylic gloss . Should have stuck with ancient enamels. Oh well some gentle sanding, more primer and just seagrey all over like yours(plus some new decals). I was really looking forward to my Roulettes decal scheme. Yours looks rather good with just the right amount of sheen. Cheers cobber. Paul (aka Bertie Lissie)

• Thanks 1

What a shame that you had so many frustrations with this kit - it's one of my all-time favourites, having built 4 SAAF Impalas across a 30+ year timescale, in spite of its basic cockpit and less-than-accurate seats. I still have the kit decal sheets which include a couple of Australian variants.

Nice result, and well done for sticking with it.

Jon

• Thanks 1