Republic F-84F Thunderstreak, Turkish Air Force, 1959. *Completed*

The first batch of F-84F's arrived from the French in 1959, however Turkey would receive enough aircraft to equip 9 squadrons between 1959 and 1966 from several other NATO countries. The Thunderstreak had a fairly short active service life with the Americans, but soldiered on for other air forces for many years, the Turks using theirs until 1974, when they were replaced by the Northrop F-5. Almost all the 300 aircraft were scrapped. The Turks were probably the only country air force to use the F-84F in action, when two aircraft engaged and shot down two Iraqi Il-28s that strayed into Turkish airspace.

I'll be using the older Airfix 1/72 kit with decals out of my spaces box. I picked up this kit, as you can see, on special from my LHS way back when I was a poor student and happy to buy 5 dollar models to feed my plastic addiction. It's floated around in my stash for many years, so it's time to build it.

13ncMrr.jpg

p7zGIGZ.jpg

Edited by Brad
  • Like 12

Good to see an old stash-lurker getting some love and attention. As a Turkish Air Force subject it's going to be in a less common scheme as well.

• Like 1

The French Thunderstreaks saw a lot of action over Suez, being one of the most powerful aircraft available to the Anglo-French coalition. Some were based at Cyprus while one unit was based in Israel, this initially carrying Israeli markings...

The F-84Fs carried out 302 missions, particularly against airports, claiming 19 aircraft destroyed, 12 probable and 11 damaged (and maybe one shot down in the air but it's contested). In addition they claimed two radars, 3 heavy tanks, one locomotive and 24 trucks, plus a lot of other assorted damage made to enemy forces. One aircraft was lost and 9 damaged. In addition the RF-84F completed 84 recce missions for no loss.

This of course does not mean that Turkish machines are not interesting, they sure are and I'm looking forward to your build !

• Like 2

Good to see a Thunderstreak in this GB, it really was a NATO stalwart from the fifties through to the seventies.

IIRC some of the Turkish aircraft got MB ejection seats but I don't believe that was during this period.

Looking forward to this build.

I would love to see a new Thunderstreak in 1/72nd, I'm surprised that Revell of Germany haven't ever produced a kit of the F-84F given German use of the type.  Perhaps Special Hobby will treat us to one.

• Like 1

A small start today. According to the engraved date, the kit was made in 1974. Fit so far seems decent, I won't bother rescribing, the raised panel lines are pretty fine.

RNQicrT.jpg?1

Mme3Pnt.jpg?1

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Wez said:

I'm surprised that Revell of Germany haven't ever produced a kit of the F-84F given German use of the type. 

They preferred the Italieri repack in his box.

32 minutes ago, Col. said:

1974? That goes to prove a good kit will always be a good kit regardless of how old it is.

I agree. But model @Brad it's a reissue of the late 1980's or early 90's. Plastic there is unchanged, but completely different decal options. I have absolutely the same edition of this model, along with the aftermarket decal from Mikroscale ....or Superscale, l don't remember, remember what this USAF A-bomb carry F-84F in decal, as I wish.

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aardvark said:

They preferred the Italieri repack in his box.

Yes I appreciate that which is a shame.

Brad,

Good progress so far.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Main paint is done. It's pretty shiny and I think I will give it a light wash and then a dull coat after everything else is completed. They did look a bit dull and worn.

pMt39iE.jpg?1

AXrhtZJ.jpg?1

• Like 6

A little more painting, this time the anti glare, nose and other things.

Id7BPHh.jpg?1

Decals. I had to piece together the serial number from others, the 8's from pieces of other numbers as I didn't have any. I think I got them about right. Probably my last update before completed pictures. One decal I didn't have was the fin flash, I might have to mask and paint that.

qKahEbt.jpg?1

• Like 5

Good to see this build here, the F-84F Thunderstreak has always been an aircraft that fascinates me, how the thing got off the ground fully fueled and loaded is still a mystery! I really got into aircraft in the early seventies and these were still being flown by the Turks at that time. I also got into scale modelling and I remember making the Airfix kit, it went together well and looked pretty cool and was a good kit for the time. Look forward to seeing the final result, looking very good so far.

• Like 1

I put the finishing touches on her tonight. I decided against a final flat, I just applied it to selective areas and left it as is with a little wash. Thanks for looking!

9rFDCpj.jpg?1

TzMjAec.jpg?1

XcPd4AV.jpg?1

sh8sCVm.jpg?1

Lf98iTm.jpg?1

DiFEKOM.jpg?1

• Like 5