Luftwaffe book pic request

Kov1985

Hello everyone,

Theres a subject in the book “Luftwaffe fighters and fighter bombers over the far north” that I specifically would like to model. Through my own channels of research I’ve found that it’s in this book, however I don’t own the book. It’s not a very easy book to find, and the ones I have found are ridiculously expensive and on the other side of the world to where I live.

Is there somebody out there willing to photograph or scan any pages of any info and images relating this specific aircraft for me?

Its a bf109 g-14, of jg5. “Black 13” with the black and yellow tale band.

Granted its an odd request, but it would save me a lot of time and money. And I’d greatly appreciate it. Either PM me or just reply, I’m easy if you’re willing to help me out here.

Thanks everyone for your time.

Edited by Kov1985

Since I'm the one supplying the picture for the book, I can therefore show it to you here:

Please enjoy. Please note the number 13 on the right wheel leg.

The aircraft is of JG5 at Lista, Norway may 1945, photographed at Kjevik, Norway just after the war. The colours are probably RLM 75/82/76.

AHJ0003ms.jpg

Edited by Matave
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Matave, that’s lovely. Spent weeks trying to find that one image of that plane I’ve seen profiles and models of. That’ll come very much in handy.

75/82/76 sounds odd to me, never seen that combination, and my understanding of those colours puts the hue of 82 not much darker than 75 (being called by some as “hellgrun”). With that much contrast between those colours it looks more like 75/83/76 to me, and I’d say I’m probably going to model it as such. What do you think?

Thanks again for that image, it’s research gold for me.

I have no opinion of the colours. That's what is suggested in the book. I'll hope the author Kjetil Aakra wil respond to my message and come with his view.  

Here is one model builders version on the Norwegian IPMS forum. (only in Norwegian I'm afraid)

You may follow the thread her: https://forum.ipmsnorge.org/topic/15826-gustav-fra-sørlandet-eduard-109g-14/

b93bf581e4fb1c9a4eac4c5e920c48d7.jpg

/Mats

Edited by Matave

2 hours ago, Kov1985 said:

75/82/76 sounds odd to me, never seen that combination, and my understanding of those colours puts the hue of 82 not much darker than 75 (being called by some as “hellgrun”). With that much contrast between those colours it looks more like 75/83/76 to me, and I’d say I’m probably going to model it as such. What do you think?

Current thining is 83 is a dark blyue, and the late war dark Green is a variant of 81. 

The use of Dark Green/RLM 75 Grey was confirmed way back in the Monogram K-4 book

This is Messerschmitt-Bf-109-K-4-WNr-334176-Gelbe-1-Martin-Deskau-II-JG3-Pasewalk-March-1945

Messerschmitt-Bf-109-K-4-WNr-334176-Gelb

note the cut out fabric serial 

16%20Bf%20109K_Page_21-960.jpg?m=1522041

the scan is B/W but the book it's in colour.

the combination is also seen here on the tail of this K-4

Bf-109K-4R3-9.JG3-White-8-Gabi-abandoned

Late war colours are still very confusing, and certainly  in very late war what was available was used,  the above shows parts made by different subcontractors. 

One thing that has happened is with the greater availability of photos it has been possible to in some cases assign certain production block built at certain factories with distinctive painting patterns and colours, and as the camo pattern are often surprisingly regular, then work out that this plane is likely to be of this batch, and thus of these colours. 

this colour shot of K-4's appears to show one wing in greys, the other  and fuselage in green/brown

b735c3c385795afe03fc4654c151d474.jpg

this very famous G-10, Messerschmitt Bf 109G-10, 2.NAG14 (5F+12) WNr 770269 Furth Germany May 1945,

maybe unique in being photographed in colour from both sides

Messerschmitt-Bf-109G10-Erla-2.NAG14-(5F

is from a batch know to be Dark Green and RLM 75,  note the P-51 in the background, with an Olive Drab anti glare panel,  though it could be a a 74/75 uppers..

and there is this clip of film, in colour, of two  belly landed 109's,  aG-10, white3, and a  K-4, White 8

https://youtube/9_V7mY2ubVw

clip won't embed, you have to click the link.

which gives a good idea of the colours, and how hard it can be even with a colour image to work out what they are

here's a pic from the linked film, White 8

b2f862bfeaa42e921130e5c72a916b8e.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Kov1985 said:

Through my own channels of research I’ve found that it’s in this book, however I don’t own the book. It’s not a very easy book to find,

quick heads-up for this publication then, due out in the next month or two. It's in here too....along with much much more

More info at luftwaffe.be

jg5Luftwaffe+Gallery.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Troy Smith - Mate, that’s legendary. More research gold I’ve been searching for. Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. 

Was RLM 82 actually a darker one than I’m thinking of? I’ve used it on a couple of my builds and it’s quite a bright/lighter shade of green than the old “rlm 83”. Whatever they call it now, I still think I’ll use my old “Rlm 83” as the darker hue in the camo scheme. Might even splurge out and buy a couple of brassin goodies for the build.

FalkeEins - cheers mate, I might just pick myself up a copy when it comes out.

Edited by Kov1985
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/13/2019 at 5:22 PM, Troy Smith said:

note the P-51 in the background, with an Olive Drab anti glare panel

Slightly off topic but might be of interest to some, The P-51 is an F-6 and belongs to the 10th PRG. IIRC there's also photos of a 190A and 190D taken in the same series.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1