Quarter Scale Panzer

SoftScience

A few other are already showing their Tamiya Panzer IV H kits, in 1/48. But what's just one more?

Mine arrived in the mail this morning and I got right to it, while I wait to fix the dubious looking front shackles on my Kugelblitz.

I also got the Tamiya zimmerit stickers, which are just brilliant!

I have some history with 48th scale armor. I fell for it hard around 2005, when Tamiya was popping out kits about every other month. Between 2005 and 2009, I had built up a small army. The kits were easy to build, and I had much less developed AMS back then, so I would churn out seven or eight of them a year!

A few things happened in 2009, including a 1500 mile move, and my eventual disgust in everything I had built up to that point. Most of my collection did not make the move with me, and the few that did we're badly damaged. 

I continued to build these kits prolifically after the big move, but then sometime around 2010 my interests just went 100% back to aircraft models.

I've revisited 48th afvs a few times since then, but just could not relight the fire. In recent weeks my interest has been rekindled by....I don't know what. I just suddenly want to build them again.

I only have three left on the shelves from the old collection ( there have been two more cross-country moves since 2010, and they are hell on built models). But it the last two weeks I have attempted to finish  an IS-2, I started years ago, and have bought two new kits - including this one.

So here we go.

First and foremost: this kit is easy!

I finished the lower hull in about three hours. Most of that time was spent cutting the zimmerit stickers.

These need to be cut by hand, which is easy, but takes some time. Well worth the effort, as they look fantastic, and are infinitely easier than making zimmerit from epoxy putty.

Incidentally, the lower hull has much nicer details than the 35 scale Kugelblitz, including proper looking front shackles.

IMG-20190113-003406715.jpg

The rear hull plate is the cat's pajamas!

IMG-20190113-003426535.jpg

The only time where the zimmerit stickers are lacking is when they need to go over bolt detail. 

I tried to drill out the holes, but a punch and dye set would have been more effective here.

I added paint to see what they look like painted. Not bad, but the bolts do look a touch sloppy.

IMG-20190113-003548035.jpg

Sorry about the dodgy photos. I'm about to turn in for the night and the workshop is all buttoned up already.

• Like 5

Moving along (and less blurry). Nothing to really say. Everything fits, through zimmerit works well, what else?

Uhhh... I replaced the grab handle on the engine hatch with guitar strings, and added a little lead wire to the headlight mount.

More parts adding to come.

IMG-20190114-220506262.jpg

• Like 1

I'm glad those tamiya zimmerit stickers have worked out for you ss, I have a set for a tiger 1 and I've been in two minds whether or not to use them, but from what I've seen here they look good

12 hours ago, Hewy said:

I'm glad those tamiya zimmerit stickers have worked out for you ss, I have a set for a tiger 1 and I've been in two minds whether or not to use them, but from what I've seen here they look good

Thanks, Hewy.

I've seen others complain that they're not deep enough, but that's precisely why I like them. Some of the zimmerit I have seen has so much relief, that it traps wazhes and makes the model look way too textured and dark, for my tastes.

• Thanks 1

It wouldn't be one of my models if there wasn't at least one screw up. So here it is. I glued the hinge for the gun (the inside bit) upside down, and had to pull off the front of the turret to get it out. In the process, I ended up snapping it in half.

Luckily the zimmerit stickers will cover it up. Jeez! 

IMG-20190116-190055911.jpg

• Sad 1

Pretty close to the paint stage now. I still need to add the brackets to the opposite side. I want to scratch-build better armor skirts, but first I need to figure out what the hell I did with the folder full of sheet styrene that I put away in a perfectly clever place, where it wouldn't be in the way 🤔🙄

IMG-20190117-211314377.jpg

• Like 1

Weird...I could have sworn I posted this already, but evidently not.

I added a light tan filter yo warm up the tones and draw the camouflage colors together. This was followed by a clear coat, decals, pinwash, some very selective chipping, and a flat coat.

The tools and spare tracks are just base coated for now, and will be finished next.

IMG-20190120-110715451.jpg

IMG-20190120-111254499.jpg

• Like 7