1/72 Eduard L-39C

Hi!

thought id start 2019 with a Eduard l-39 - subject still being decided! 🤔.... possibly be Abkhazian, Afghan, armenian......

197694-X2.jpg

armenian_air_for_i000015-XL.jpg

201947_196437390487329_1760120606_o-X2.j

I thought this kit would be a tamigawa shake-n-bake, but has proven quite a sanding fest! - especially with the upper and lower wing, and wing fuselage

I'm not sure if others have had this experience with the kit? 

Anyway onto the photos!

I have a couple of the 'third world' profipacks, but decided to go with the decal cockpit, as im getting back into modelling. next time I wouldn't worry about the compressor face as is hidden in the end! 

IMG_0023-X2.jpg

IMG_0028-X2.jpg

installation was quite fiddly - next time i think I would attach the tub to the rear bulkhead.

IMG_0025-X2.jpg

onto the wings.....oh boy, i found i had the options of:  

- have the fuselage and wing halves together with the upper wingtips 'overbite' the lower half, or

- have the wing pods and fuselage align, but gaps appear in rear upper/lower wing half's

so I went with the second option, in hindsight the first may have been better!

IMG_0032-XL.jpg

- I also had to do quite a bit of clean up on the rest of the wings. i decided to do both at the same time, the one I will use is the bottom one ive polished up:

IMG_0031-XL.jpg

- I noticed the wing 'seat' is wider than the fuselauge, not sure what ill do here, or ill just leave it as is, and worry about it in future builds:

IMG_0035-XL.jpg

IMG_0036-XL.jpg

47 minutes ago, Modelraynz said:

I thought this kit would be a tamigawa shake-n-bake, but has proven quite a sanding fest! - especially with the upper and lower wing, and wing fuselage

I'm not sure if others have had this experience with the kit?

Nice start, and nice subjects! Do you have a source for markings?

I built one a long time ago, and liked the kit. I don't recall much problems in the building except the ones you found out already:

- Positioning the cockpit tub is not clear, it seems to leave gaps somewhere no matter how you put it. In my build the ejection seats ended up way too high (possibly because the cockpit tub was not in correct position, possibly because there was a gap between the tub and seats, possibly because the headrests which are assembled from separate parts were incorrectly positioned, possibly because the seats are just too large, or some combination of these...). I was unable to close the canopy because of that. Also try to make sure the clear part separating the cockpits will fit.

- The wing-fuselage joint leaves gaps and/or a step and needs some work.