Modified Heller M.S.225 Michel Detroyat (the other one, not the previously-posted 230)

A build from 6 years ago:

Yet another Morane Saulnier plane used by Michel Detroyat, this time the M.S.225, modified for its use as a racer and aerobatic machine. It was painted in an attractive red/black/silver scheme, and demonstrated its capabilities –and of course those of its pilot- to a great extent.

Again an old good Heller kit provides the canvas for this project, the parts being a tad chunkier than the M.S.230 just posted. Some accurizing is needed too but the basics are there. My sample was provided by the ever-smiling, spanakopita-rider, Mr Psarras of Florida. Thanks again, Xtmosch!

Look at photos; listen to what others have to say...wait, I correct myself, look at what others have done with success, not at what they may think YOU should do, and then turn to your model, and with reasonable expectations, modify what you may in order to achieve a better replica, an entertaining building, and not less importantly, a comlleted model, not an aggregate of plastic pieces that has a shoe box for sarcophagus until the eons turn it again back into fossil fuel.

As you can see in the photos, a new cowl was made, the ribbing and rivets were toned-down, the cockpit was refined and some internal structure added. The engine will need an oil radiator and a new prop, the armament needs deletion, the ailerons need to be completed –as with Heller’s M.S.230 the intrados of the wing has no aileron separation lines- and other details will have to be taken care of. As I always say, look at your reference photos.
Heller kits of course are not perfect. But they do have a very logical and practical part breakdown.
If you consider when were they designed -many decades ago-, your admiration may increase even more.
The outer upper wing panels follow a real separation on the plane, but you will have to engrave that separation on the intrados yourself. The stabs were dynamically balanced in the original plane, the kit has them wrong.

35.jpg

02.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

41.jpg

43.jpg

45.jpg

47.jpg

51.jpg

55.jpg

56.jpg

57.jpg

58.jpg

60.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

17.jpg

19.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

26.jpg

30.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

61.jpg

• Like 24

Now that is a really sporty looking aircraft and a great scheme. Some lovely looking modelling too and very helpful tips and information. Thank You!

Cheers

Malcolm

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, kapam said:

Wish my bench could look as tidy as your photos - mine's always a total mess!

I simply can't work in an untidy area. After 1/2 an hour or 45 minutes of work or so, it gets of course clattered, so I have to stop, clean up, put everything back in place, and then re-start. No kidding.

Even doing that many times I have thrown away parts thinking they were debris, or misplaced them, or crushed them without realizing.

Also bear in mind that I am working on three models at the time, with a fourth waiting for its decals.

Order is a must.

I share an "office" with my wife, it's actually a converted small spare bedroom.

My dream is someday to have a proper modeling space, all mine.

How happy would I be....

These pre-war French designs have always seemed to be quite beautiful in their design.  The Moranes, Dewoitines. etc...such sporty machines during a time of relative peace in Europe.  You have made one of my favourites into yet another jewel!

• Thanks 1

On 1/13/2019 at 12:06 PM, Moa said:

If you consider when were they designed -many decades ago-, your admiration may increase even more.

Hello Moa - another fine build!

Not sure if you have seen this via You Tube - There is some fine aerobatic footage. Michel is mentioned I think about 1'52" in

Agreed; a very nice film. Gives an indication of why the Armee de l'Air was the largest air force in Europe at this time and had only recently been overtaken by the  Soviet air force as the largest in the World. Just before the brief Detroyat appearance, it shows the Patrouille d'Etampes, France's first military aerobatic team, also Morane-equipped.