Here's the start of a Mach2 kit I bought on a whim. I love NASA kits, and there's not that much available in 1/48.

KZOqVwlNu3Cv0e9n8iz4PhLfkTglW_46BYFWQnBE

I'm thinking of modeling the boxart, or the olive drab army version. We'll see;

Section halves were glued and bound with thick rubber bands, then I rotated the sections 90 degrees and cleaned up the seams.

dxxdYat_BVl96zWp5kNsi41D50Aqy4H1Ht4ozIRA

Here I've marked out the Gantry connection points, and filed the sub assembly gaps that are visible on the actual rockets.

Oh7AbRrxc86POQ0n6bsAkzJpsJzMBpp9EOVrQnt9

Here's the main Fins for the craft. I did my best to clean them up and get them accurate, but...

LsAlqtmTSX5jWMeJ5FwKvE5b7o93DSKXsknJJ6cK

They just didn't cut it. So I'm starting on a scratchbuilt, more accurate version;

iu1Yb16ZD0rtZDHUDJ3SE3uSg3oaIHWhIsPVb624

pX5cIRcYUzqplVGDfDlkXaLRj65UonH9HsM5b7DW

I'm going to mold the master and make more copies of the  main fins, I'll mass produce the rest.

9-c42LXJBBf1xGRf-Da6qLFO7vaoI2mH0x8u423J

Replicating the upper directional vanes.

60fS4TrW8xPyU_IyFHixO8I1YBYVzBELF4Kd3iBC

Here's the exhaust, filled and cleaned up. The marks help me keep the insert aligned as I sand and fit. The black is carbon and rubber infused CA that helps reinforce the seams from the inside.

Bw0rH2h0JpY5d5VBjFOTwoJrVBOsWjFZ1Of1TFHY

Get to the Choppah! Every time I use this, I hear Arnold in my head :). Using this to keep all the vanes the same size is helpful.

bS5v2QtgCuwW219EKnf5sBKcN_DjLqKajUn2_-fo

Once the vanes are clamped and glue dried. I use milliput to make the final shapes. It's easy to manipulate with water and a few clay tools. I'll get the final finish with standard filler putty. Original part on left for comparison.

iQMhNdUjzF5faEFpox26jaNeW-vZ3Fs1ejKcaYOK

Bottom half of mold set. Ready to pour the top.

EGTRwKMXthLw3tkSqPXcyWpx-DOBgxmRuSxbW1Rz

Top poured after release agent and stubs shortened. The pour sprues will be expanded after its cured.

RbjyV3gWCKWhPtNYVIo4Z3vu5QF_8z9WqeM1_N6q

Here's the vanes and fins, drying and almost ready for final sand/shape.

KROa7eInpAADLO2-Do9i92lYDiX9qKOyJkEmTFED

Edited by markmcguire25
  • Like 6

Not much progress this weekend, cold temps kept me from putting a primer coat to assess my progress.

But... fins are finished and ready for cleanup.

uMWJFVklmVNPDCICry5impTkTeUqIhA_Dnh-7X8t

I got most of the umbilical connectors for the gantry in place. Although they feel a bit over scale.

beyDM7Qa_TR9ako3RByCv48khzJYOxEpz2XGr31m

m72ynj_KmV45PTwP3sjcfnBTOdbolwMe67TMOrOH

I'll finish up the small upper fins and hope the weather cooperates. The garage is sealed up tight, but we're in the 30's (O's Celcius) this week, so painting is probably out for the foreseeable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, markmcguire25 said:

cold temps kept me from putting a primer coat to assess my progress.

Texas eh? Tsk!

Good to see a bit of space history.

Men with slide rules and a mission!

Thanks.

• Haha 1

Quick update. Replaced and improved some access panels

qzcQYG4K2F19d1UQfHY3_a3B7CLdGLFW2eZBteTe

Cleaned up the bottom exhaust for some new detail. Those jet exhausts were a nice fit

'

5PI9eMdw-FpEphJTa_TbE9ZGYSaM5zUDystbVWfc

Main fin attached with exhaust update

hv-i2pdLVJE-BhZ0s89E-b34L3pegwoiysCOdpFL

additional details and some white primer

BRFuNWyxLQmjNNDUhBaNtgkgJU9jb37fos2ImXBN

The last pic before disaster struck! The white primer (Testors Automotive Enamel Primer White) was really clogging up the sanding sticks and I still had a few blemishes to fix. I decided to switch to a Grey Microfiller. While I was refilling the airbrush, a gust of wing grabbed the rocket and it hit the garage floor hard. A crack in the main body, the tip broke off, and several of the fins were damaged and/or knocked off. I really wanted to finish painting before the cold weather rolls back in this weekend. 🤬

ffD57X4PjiVLTy3vKCPHCKd5fki21ukADizaYu7w

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Disaster averted! Sort of... Although it's no longer an -11, technically. I managed to repair the fins, fix the crack in the fuselage, but the tip of the rocket was a different story. I tried a couple times to repair it, but it never looked correct. I ended up adding a large pitot and an faired it in, ala an early Redstone/Mercury testbed. 

ELmb_zU6nbw1CCbmTUol86mPOsTlcz-2KEm3UpKk

About 6 coats of Testors Insignia White over the Mr Surfacer Gray. I started with a standard 50/50 "creamer" coat and slowly covered with thinner coats to enhance the shine.

tN-h0asX_41vvF2u2P7R30PgWm1WeEHdfiym86UB

YMY2sGgPVbDCJg3umI4OPZTg1ArBYfDuvQsbCko7

Once it's fully cured, I'll start on decals.

Edited by markmcguire25
pic size
  • Like 6

Definitely found the version I want to model. While it's not NASA, this photo exudes cool.

k4MGXyge4AknOkeFIAZJTwiF_drfStpD5gCp-aYm

On to paint lower fins, and find suitable decal for the army font and I'm pretty sure I can make the logo...

• Like 6

A little progress this weekend. 

Masked up and ready for the black stripes. I decided to paint the stripes rather than decal.

eU-Lj2jovcLtvI-YChAbKbSvbsys7yDo_o2xCMVK

And a coat of future after the paint is dry and masking removed.

4cTrjZU7UHUCxGTLhFJSsSKyDzWtKANGadCukNoG

• Like 9

Hi Mark!

I'm liking the way You have approached Your build of the Redstone, and a good recovery from the attack by gravity!!:angry:

Happened to most of Us I know, I've put carpet tiles down the soften any impact, anything deeper and the Monster would be rubbing It's tummy!!

Keep Sticking!  Cheers,  Pete

• Haha 1

Quick update. Nothing like disappointing decals to steal your mojo?!? I ordered 1/48 24" 45degree letters, which is what I got - but the "M" is wayyyy off and the "R" is slightly wrong. And my laser printer botched the Chrysler/Redstone/DeSoto logo. I think because the max DPI was only 1200, the decals are less than crisp. I'm still working on the "firepot" logo near the fins. I really wanted to finish this last week, but been on the road for work.

3cvz4uGPtNs-fkNAiBT5IvIZzOgRTaeFdKmimeP1

I'll coat and (very) lightly weather next week. Give a bit more detail to the exhaust, and call it finished.

• Like 3

Handmade decals came out pretty uniform, and um...acceptable?

circle template on silver decal sheet. Hand drawn flame logo and red permanent marker.

FHoAc8-9sdjDwAyeL1Ec3XpLz0ohbj2LE7Owpmle

YqjOoHX4E_T1UhN9h-q8y9gYqRW6oh_V5aktZBCm

And...firepot! They actually look better in person, as the lights and camera show silver under the flame that doesn't show to my Mk.1.A eyeballs.

NYNo9RkFbKffsUaamwulKsnsTHolyU-oV4PCMm9U

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I originally wanted to do some sort of gantry or launcher, but didn't want to detract too much from the kit. The basic shape - "bones" are really nice.

zRIgG1zpVRKkqw_DONkCIJnPvRiQCvs6SsJRD9r1

Some flickering white and orange LEDs with a couple brights pointing straight upward.

6_K5LYavMRIrrkpt9E3zfNoNf2rmEa2FbHcsizLG

Test fitting and everything looks good. I had some nice directional vanes, but they kept catching on the cotton, and you can't see them, so...

6_K5LYavMRIrrkpt9E3zfNoNf2rmEa2FbHcsizLGkgwiqdmG5R73uY2yKy8QbIfof0QbGO3jWmRXBVje

• Like 4