T-38A Talon Aggressor - Wolfpack 1/48

My first completion of 2019. The Wolfpack T-38A Talon completed as an aircraft of the 64 FWS, 57 FWW in 1975. In the early days of DACT, the 57 FWW used the Talon to simulate early Soviet jets like the Mig-17 and to a lesser extent Mig 21. The decals came from Caracel. As usual with me, a couple of mess ups. Caracel note this as an AT-38. In effect, the only real difference in this scale would be a Gunsight. I have a few decent pictures of the T-38A in this scheme, including one of this very aircraft. For some reason, in my head, I got them mixed up and referenced a different aircraft and believed that the one I was modelling was a standard T-38A. In fact it looks on closer inspection that Caracel were right. oh well - no gunsight on mine!

The Wolfpack kit is not too bad but is another of those good in parts efforts - fit is generally OK but the surface detail is very fine and runs out to nothing in places. One tip if you want this kit is to go for the 'Holloman AFB" boxing which includes a few extra goodies in PE, resin seats and metal pitot which are all excellent. I did use part of an Eduard set which I was given for the cockpit.

The Caracel decals worked with no problem but I do have a couple of issues - why provide decals for an aircraft that no kit exists (without conversion) - then I wouldn't have been so confused and I believe they based the decals on an early scheme which had no names on the canopy rail and no 57FWW badge on the intake - bothe of which appeared later.

Anyway - it is what it is. I hope you like it.

kOiZuJU.jpg

lIv6C83.jpg

OMsnoAd.jpg

4khlSjC.jpg

ibxNpvY.jpg

qJgJzfM.jpg

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 45

41 minutes ago, jeaton01 said:

Very well done.  I thought the canopy attachment was fiddley when I did mine,. but I liked the kit.

Thank You.

I did find the canopy a little fiddly for sure - really, I needed an extra hand! I managed to get the attachments tight using spacers which I removed when the glue had set.

Cheers

Malcolm

6 hours ago, fot0 said:

Excellent - the camo looks fantastic. What masks did you use to the effect?

Thank you.

The painting was done partly using masks and partly freehand. The pictures which I looked at suggested that this was how the original was painted because some of the demarkations were hard and some soft. The masks were made by combination of post it notes cut to shape and blue tac rolls. Simple curved shapes cut from post it notes, which were held in place by hand, were used to tidy areas up.

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 1

• 1 month later...