PZL P37B LOS 1/72 Scale.

Aerofix

I am a great admirer of this aircraft and often wonder what would have happened had it been an Allied or Axis design? A ' what if ' with Hercules engines, solid nose, lots of guns, perhaps another Beaufighter? I know there was a design in the pipeline for PZL P49 Mis with these engines. However, I digress. I bought a kit of this aircraft from ZTS for very little money and recently decided to build it. I discovered very quickly that said kit was pretty crap and beyond any improvements/scratchbuilding I am capable of!

Fly and IBG both have this and I wonder if anyone can advise which is likely to come out ahead? They are both similar money and there is PE etc. available for both. I can't find any reviews so if anyone has made either/both of these, I would be grateful for their views.

I have a couple of Fly kits and am impressed with their quality. I have no experience with IBG. I would consider myself to be an average modeller.

Thanks in advance David.

I have the IBG kit and it looks a lovely model, there is a relatively small amount of etched brass included as standard. I've seen a couple of beautifully finished examples on Britmodeller here and here.  I also bought the Peewit canopy mask set for this kit.

I haven't seen the Fly kit, but there is a comparative review of the IBG and Fly kits here, but unless you are fluent in Polish you will be relying on Google translate :) 

HTH,

Cheers,

Stew

Many thanks Stew, I did translate the review and think I will go for the IBG variant. I have some old aeroclub Pegasus engines which I may use depending on the quality of those in the kit. I also have white metal lewis guns which I know are not strictly correct, but may look better than the kit version. I am not a rivet counter, just want a properly finished model as a bit of a tribute to the brave pilots who flew this aircraft. If they hadn't helped us in 1940, who knows where we would have been? So badly treated by UK Govt at the end of the war. The pictures are great, all credit to the modeller. Thanks very much for your help. Might post this as work in progress!

Cheers David.

• Like 1

Hi David, 

I don't suppose you would like to earn the eternal gratitude of at least some of us here and publish, or otherwise provide, a written translation of that Polish review?  I have the old Mikro 72 kit, and was considering working it into my near future build schedule (that is, within the next 5 years or so), but would like to see what the newer kits have to offer.  

If within reason, I might even be willing to offer some form of compensation for your translating skills.  Thanks,

Bob C 

Will you please look at the entry # 43 within this "Rumourmonger" thread

www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235023800-172-ibg-pzl-37-łoś-elk-confirmed

Although I'm Polish it's written in (I hope understandable) English :)

Cheers

Michael

Edited by KRK4m
too much emoticons inserted :)
  • Like 3

Hi Bob C, I think the other posts answer your query. I opened the link from Stew in Google and it asked if l wanted a translation. I said yes and there it was! On the strength of it I have ordered the IBG kit plus canopy mask. I already have the Yahu cockpit set which is very good. I did try the ZTS kit which is total rubbish. Best of luck. I think this was a great aircraft.

Cheers David.

Hello David

This question seems to come up often. Try the following:

Links to excellent articles by Grzegorz Mazurowski:

http://www.modelpaint.pl/2017/06/24/tajemnice-polskiego-khaki/

http://www.modelpaint.pl/2017/09/23/polskie-khaki-cz-2-odnaleziony-wzornik-kolorow-radomskiej-fabryki-porsa/

Articles are in Polish, but fortunately 303sqn provided translation (in PZL P-7a Help required thread). Basically, for PZL P.37 loś upper surfaces colour is one of dark khaki paints. Cheers

Jure

• Like 1

I did ZTS kit long ago. Not that bad but not to up to date standards RE detail and fit.

Bought IBG recently looks great.

BTW there are a couple of PART PE sets that could be adapted to new kits. I expect that Eduard Will make some sets for these new kits but in meantime:

S72 049  PZL P-37 Łoś (exterior)

s72049.jpg

S72 050 PZL P-37 Łoś (interior)

s72050.jpg

On 1/12/2019 at 7:03 PM, Stew Dapple said:

I haven't seen the Fly kit, but there is a comparative review of the IBG and Fly kits here, but unless you are fluent in Polish you will be relying on Google translate :) 

While the IBG kit is better than the Fly one, this particular comparison is not fully fair one - the website is subsidiary of the IBG (see the top of the page). At least the engines and bomb bays interiors have not been fairly compared!

• Like 1