This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Xantippos

What to do with kit missing parts?

Here is my long, sad modelling story. I bought an Arado Ar 196 (regular twin float version) 1:32 from a shop that was doing a black friday sale. I bought it for my father as a christmas present, seeing it was an impressive kit at a very reduced price. The kit was perfectly sealed. I bought it and kept it till christmas day, where it was open, everything fine, but when my father tried to start the model, bonk! missing parts. And not anything minor, 5 whole sprues. The clear cockpit sprue, and both 2 floats with bombs and side engine cowlings. 

If it had been for the clear sprue only, I might have made myself the canopy, knowing it is rather squareish. But all the rest... too much work. 

I so contacted Revell, because I thought it is a manufacturer problem, the kit was perfectly sealed, and is not the dealer's fault. Revell told me it is not producing anymore this kit, and I must contact the dealer. The dealer the problem is, has closed down, and that was part of their clearance sale. I am trying to reach him now, but most probably, I won't have any luck. I have also contacted Revell to see if I could get the spare parts of their B version monofloat, which I think it is current, but I am hesitant as if they will want to cooperate.

What do you think I could do? I have looked if there was a version with wheels, to make a conversion, but apparently not. 

Well, the kit will certainly get repopped so you could just wait until then.

You could probably find a copy online and toss the one you have in the bits bin.

Or you could scratch build...

Can't really think of any other alternatives.

Sorry.

Keep trying Revell as I've found them to be helpful in the past. I was given a 1/35th Crusader which didn't have any road wheels as they had been used in another build. I told this to Revell and offered to pay for a new set of wheels. They sent a new set to me for free.

The other thing you could try is to contact whoever the importer of Revell kits is in your country. Sometimes they have spare sprues.

HTH's.

John.

This will only help with the clear parts but you could get this. the Revell canopy is rather strange as it resembles an Ikea flat pack, this is far superior and a lot easier.

https://www.alleycatmodels.co.uk/arado-ar-196-replacement-canopy-and-mask-set-revell-132-6123-p.asp 

Sadly, not many options. I think manufacturers should step up their game when parts are needed for an out of production kit, replace it with an alternative kit in this case as fault is with them. The single float Arado can be bought for low price as it seems to be reduced for clearance on ebay, offer that to your Dad as a substitute and put the other kit aside and wait for it to be re-popped. Keep a lookout on ebay or gumtree for a kit that has been started. 

Many thanks for the replies. I will indeed await Revell's response (and sent a email to the importer, just for the sake of trying), and if negative (which will make me never again buy a Revell kit, 5 sprues is something I've never experienced on a sealed kit!)  I think I will buy the clear sprue of the AR 196b (as apparently the canopy is identical), and will scratch build the floats. I think I would find a paper model, build them in paper, and soak them in resin so they become hard. As there is the top of the float, I can calculate the scale.