Esoteric 1/72 Blackburn Dart

Patrik

On 29/09/2019 at 18:34, Patrik said:

strut engineering,

I prefer to say "strut magic" when it's as tidy as that! Looking very sharp indeed. I guess that's the inward lean of the struts, due to the apparently shorter top wing, showing up in the picture.

Regards,

Adrian

The struts are supposed to be perpendicular to sweptback wings in dihedral, and the complex geometry then causes the distinct inward lean from certain viewing angles. I have to admit that despite careful measurement and calculations, my struts are a bit more inward inclined than they should be, but I decided - for the sake of sanity - to be happy with it.😀

• Like 1

Hi Patrick,

I've been following your build silently and this is more than time to congratulate you for the excellent work!

Just one question: I know I have somewhere the scale drawings by Harry Woodman, can you remember me where they were published?

Cheers

Carlos

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the prominent parts that have been missing so far added. Looks almost complete, but there is still quite a lot to do (that can go wrong). As I am going on vacation start November, the plan is to finish the job by then.

20191019-DSC-0223.jpg

20191019-DSC-0235.jpg

• Like 11

Lovely work Patrik.

A number of British Naval biplane aircraft (Fairey III.F for instance) have struts which are perpendicular to the wing spars. The simple reason for this is that the flying and landing wires can be of the same length in each wing cellule making for less spares needed to be carried on board ship.  The wing structures can be basically the same with the lower wing fittings being wider than the top centre section, but in the case of the Fairey III.F the lower wings are slightly longer than the top wings due to the wing spar root fittings.

On aircraft were the struts are vertical in front view  and so at an angle to the wing spars, the flying and landing wires are of different lengths. The wings can be the same length, where the top centre section and the fuselage width are the same.

John

• Thanks 1

Boy, oh boy, oh boy- that is looking really nice! Been following your WIP since the beginning, but had to speak up finally. Your paint for the silver dope looks very nice. She's going to be a real stunner, methinks!

Mike

Completed. The RFI thread is here https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235062729-esoteric-172-blackburn-dart-vacform/.

Thanks to all of you for following the build for the last 10 months and for all the encouraging comments and useful hints. I have enjoyed both the modelling and (especially) the research part of the build a lot.

A stunning build Patrik, I'm not sure why I haven't spent more time on the WiP, I did see one "like" along the way as I've wandered through it again. Your build techniques & problem solving are a master class for a Vacbuilder, says he with a Contrail Baffin/Ripon & Fairey IIIf kits in stock. :)

Steve.