Tim's Fiat G-91R - COMPLETED

Joining you with this kit, Airfix Fiat G91 light-fighter.

Boxart.jpg

This option 103 Gruppo, Treviso San Angelo, 1959.

Option.jpg

Parts.

Parts.jpg

I think this is the correct sequence - speak up if it's wrong.

This kit and an Airfix Avenger joined my stash in 2011, swapped for an Italeri B-25 Mitchell with Dermo245.

Transaction was a result of a BM wanted posting, and the swap took place at Telford.

RoyM brought the kit over, as Dermot wasn't attending that year.

Outside - and shortly after this GB, this model will be converted to a US Army trials aircraft.

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
more info
  • Like 9

One of the aspects I've been looking forward to with this GB is the less common subjects and you've not disappointed me with this one Tim :D

• Like 1

Nice choice of subject for me of course.. 😁

The G.91 barely makes it into the decade as the first became operational in 1959 with 103th Gruppo, that was the unit that developed all aspects of the combat use of the type. It's good that Airfix gives decals one of these machines, that carried the NATO logo on the tail to recognise the birth of the G.91 as winner of the NATO light fighter competition

Regarding the lower surfaces, I don't  know what Airfix suggests but these early aircraft used a scheme similar to the one used on the former RAF Sabres received by Italy in the same years, so blue on the undersides. I've seen mention of both an Italian colour and of PRU Blue, in any case the paint used was pretty much like the latter regardless of the origin. Check the picture below:

http://www.alatricolore.it/alatricolore/images/cartoline/g91r1_big.jpg

I checked some references and found that 5-259 was a preproduction aircraft, and for this reason had a pointed nose without cameras, like the one used on early Frecce Tricolori aircraft

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:FIAT_G-91_PAN.jpg

See for example the picture of 5-265 in this link, in the same markings. 265 was the last of the preproduction machines, all later aircraft had the nose with cameras.

http://aerostoriajet.blogspot.com/2014/12/g-91-il-capolavoro-di-giuseppe-gabrielli.html

Up to you if you want to modify the nose of course, I did it in the past on this same kit and it's easy but requires some hard filler to be inserted in the nose as sanding would mean going through the plastic...

1 hour ago, Giorgio N said:

I don't  know what Airfix suggests but these early aircraft used a scheme similar 

Giorgio,  some posting highly we see Airfix colour scheme from instruction :

On 1/12/2019 at 6:01 PM, theplasticsurgeon said:

This option 103 Gruppo, Treviso San Angelo, 1959.

Option.jpg

I see on colour scheme from instruction underside Humbrol 89!  

Where did Humbrol 28 come from.......

good question!🤗

1 hour ago, Giorgio N said:

Up to you if you want to modify the nose of course, I did it in the past on this same kit and it's easy but requires some hard filler to be inserted in the nose as sanding would mean going through the plastic

Or ask someone this nose cone from MENG!

😉😁

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark

Sadly, I have to inform that this project is unlikely to reach completion.

I've realised that the canopy transparency has gone astray.  I've retraced my steps, searched the den, and the shed.  No canopy.

It's in a bag, so I'll know immediately if it re-appears.

I've got one or two leftovers and vacforms in my spares, but I'm not hopeful of any being suitable.

If it does re-appear, I'll carry on from where I leave-off.

In the meantime, I'll re-enter this GB with a Gryphon Spitfire,  about all I've got in the stash that qualifies. 

• Sad 4

• 3 weeks later...

Completed, never thought this would happen.

Airfix-Fiat-G91-FP.jpg

Airfix-Fiat-G91-FS.jpg

Airfix-Fiat-G91-RP.jpg

Airfix-Fiat-G91-RS.jpg

This is Tim signing off.  Enjoy the rest of the GB.

In the spirit of the GB, my Spitfire represents the pinnacle of WW2 piston technology, and this represents the leap to jets that took place immediately afterwards.

• Like 8

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...