Airfix 1/144 - RAF VC-10 Tanker

fot0

This is my first attempt after decades of building a kit.  This was inspired by my visit to Dunsfold last year to see the RAF VC-10 with runway taxi demonstration, accompanied by two ex-RAF buddies - one whom had a tremendous knowledge of the tanker in operation. The kit is pretty basic and I bought the kit s/h with a missing cockpit window and a missing door hatch (you find out these things afterwards). Some of you may cringe that I am adding navigation lights on the fuselage using a circuit/LEDs for RC kits.

I am going for the same colour scheme as Airfix used OOB. I understand this scheme was never used operationally, but for conversion and testing. It also puts me out of my comfort zone by using paint sprayer and a camo scheme. Being a commercial jet the 1/144 scale is quite big in comparison to fighter jet or similar. The main wings have good detail. The engines, tail and fuselage less so. The fuselage was not a good fit with varying thickness top and bottom. I had to use filler and it's still not perfect. Anyway, it's a trial so excuse my novice modelling techniques.

Photo 10-01-2019, 21 08 07

Edited by fot0
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, fot0 said:

The kit is pretty basic and I bought the kit s/h with a missing cockpit window and a missing door hatch (you find out these things afterwards).

Hello @fot0 and welcome back to the modelling! Did you have any thoughts about a canopy replacement?

Cheers! 🙂

On 12/01/2019 at 17:17, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Hello @fot0 and welcome back to the modelling! Did you have any thoughts about a canopy replacement?

Cheers! 🙂

Thank you. I tried to fabricate a window from clear plastic using recycled packaging. I also bought some pre-cut strips of plastic from model shop to try and make a frame. At the moment not happy with it, but see how it looks after paint.

• Like 1

Photo 12-01-2019, 12 45 01

2nd stage after white primer. This shows base layer of Tamiya XF-12 Grey. Much happier with this layer as primer was difficult to get smooth finish. Probably my attempts with new airbrush. Some adjustments to airbrush achieved a better spray pattern and technique. Next stage to mask off for camo effect.

• Like 3