BOAC Concorde from Airfix

Rb277170

In a totally puzzling move Airfix are reintroducing an airliner this year..................A Concorde in BOAC livery. This was their first iteration of the Concorde I think from the late 60s, possibly even before it first flew in 1969.  This is not the later kit introduced in 1976 with the correct nose.   A really puzzling move . I suppose it’s to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the first flight  (god I feel old- I remember watching it on the telly with Raymond Baxter commentating!)

the only other airliner i see is the réintroduction of the DH Heron  in 1/72.  It’s sneaked in . They are probably not aware it is an airliner!

Oh Bug**r! I bought one recently (original with Air France decals). I don't normally get drawn in to kit collecting (as opposed to I'll-build-it-someday) but I figured that Airfix would never reintroduce the original kit as it was produced before the first prototype was finished. With no droop snoot, it's basically a travel agents window mock-up model. Serves me right!

6 minutes ago, Hepster said:

Still, it would be nice if they bunged in the decals for either of the two Brit prototypes

The 2019 Catalogue, technical Index states "Concorde Prototype BOAC" -1 (decal) option. Hopefully there will be some after market decals for the prototype. 

11 minutes ago, Paul821 said:

The 2019 Catalogue, technical Index states "Concorde Prototype BOAC" -1 (decal) option. Hopefully there will be some after market decals for the prototype. 

Ah well.  Missed opportunity!  If I recall, an aftermarket decal set for the prototype does already exist.

• 5 months later...

I sent a pre-order in February for this kit, but I cannot remember what the expected date was.

I've just seen on the Airfix website that it's expected Winter 2020...

16 minutes ago, neilg said:

I've just seen on the Airfix website that it's expected Winter 2020...

I'm guessing that there is an apprentice out in the yard at Hornby with a big pack of wire wool who has been told to clean the rust off of the moulds and they don't think he'll be finished before May 2020, hence the delay.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Yes, patiently waiting  for my order too.

On a side note, does any kind soul happen to have a set of the original Air France decals for this kit that they would be willing to send me a scan of?  26 Decals made a lovely set in the old livery but sadly they fit a proper scale Concorde and not this 'concept' version.

As soon as it releases I'm probably going to pick one up! Looks close enough to the real prototype, but really what-if builds are tempting with Concordes. Shame it'll be late 2020 though. However, assuming that the various sources saying that a new Vulcan is coming, and a fair estimate of around then is correct, that will be an expensive winter!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, k5054nz said:

I'm thinking Qantas. I love that a concept design is coming back.

In the classic, from the day scheme with the ochre cheat line, or as at present?

And I reckon that one in the current black/white "Fern Leaf" ANZ scheme would be a stunner!

• Like 1

On 1/12/2019 at 1:43 PM, Rb277170 said:

In a totally puzzling move Airfix are reintroducing an airliner this year..................A Concorde in BOAC livery. This was their first iteration of the Concorde I think from the late 60s, possibly even before it first flew in 1969.  This is not the later kit introduced in 1976 with the correct nose.   A really puzzling move . I suppose it’s to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the first flight  (god I feel old- I remember watching it on the telly with Raymond Baxter commentating!)

the only other airliner i see is the réintroduction of the DH Heron  in 1/72.  It’s sneaked in . They are probably not aware it is an airliner!

Ooh more interested in the Heron....I was QM those on Heron Flight 

2 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

In the classic, from the day scheme with the ochre cheat line, or as at present?

And I reckon that one in the current black/white "Fern Leaf" ANZ scheme would be a stunner!

I'm definitely thinking the ochre, and the winged roo. Artists' impressions of the Qantas machines sold me on it!

And that is a fine idea! When I was younger I started an Airfix 1/72 Lightning as an ANZ Concorde proficiency trainer...😁

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, k5054nz said:

When I was younger I started an Airfix 1/72 Lightning as an ANZ Concorde proficiency trainer...😁

Now you've got me thinking - a T.4 with a Rat on the tail ... and an Ochre cheat line, of course!

• Like 1