Blenheim Mk If

My first finish of 2019. The new Airfix Blenheim is a lovely kit but has some traps to catch the unwary modeller, like me. the main issue for me was the fit of the canopy, and I think that I crushed the fuselage front when assembling it as it took a lot of filling and filing to fix. The engines needed a lot of trimming to allow the nacelle section to fir as well.

Blen 31

It is meant to represent the machine(s) that the then Pilot Officer M. J. (Mike ) Herrick flew in September 1940 in which he and his crew shot down three German bombers. Though the Blenheim(s) were  radar equipped it didn't function well enough to guide Herrick to his targets. His rear gunner  also engaged at least two of the bombers.  The actual aircraft used has evaded my research. There is an article in Aeroplane published in 2016 which has a painting by Adam Tooby of one of the interceptions but  I have found no pictures of the actual aircraft. So what I have done is a 'what it might be'.

The combat reports of the engagements confirm the fitting of AI , they also confirm the presence of the turret which was remove to increase performance on some night fighter Blenheims. There is a photo which claims to show Herricks machine but it is in the background of a picture of one of the recently delivered Beaufighter. It shows the ZK codes but no individual letter or serial. There are actually two Blenheims in the photo, which is very blurry, it looks like one with radar aerials and one with a canvas cover over the nose and with the wing partially obscured by an airman, which I think means it is likely to have had AI aerials fitted but as it was top secret at the time it could not be shown. Mr Toobys painting give the individual letter as A. Which is what I went with.

Blen 29

Mike Herrick was born in New Zealand and took a short service commission with the RAF following  two of his older brothers, all of whom were were killed in action , A further two  brothers served in the Royal Navy and survived. Herrick  spent time flying P-40Ms with 15 Squadron RNZAF in the South West Pacific and returned to Europe and was killed just after D Day flying Mosquitoes with 316 Squadron.

I have already built his Beaufighter and P-40. I am gathering information about the Mossie used on his fatal flight.

Blen 27

No doubt someone will have chapter and verse on his Blenheim and if you have, I will be grateful to receive it. I haven't  attempted to add a serial number as a) I don't know it and b) it is likely to have been painted over. It would be great to know though.

Thank you for looking.

• Like 26

That's a great looking model with some interesting background to go with it. I've got one of the new Airfix kits lurking on the shelf but have failed so far to find the subject to inspire me to have a go. I enjoy building kits to represent a/c that have some sort of interesting history to go with - a bit along the lines of your post which does the model full justice. Well done! Paul

• Like 1

On 1/12/2019 at 8:51 AM, Silver Fox said:

Mark,

these are for you, I was trying to locate the Beaufighter but it is in long term storage.

IMGP7146

Herricks P-40M and Blenheim

IMGP7145

Great looking P-40! Thanks for posting the photos.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1