***Finished*** PBS’ RAFG fighters

Too lazy to get up and get the kit and phone so stock pic will do. Got the spare decals from the RAF boxing plus the modeldecal sheet of raf options, built this before twice in raf (which sadly neither the model or any pics of it still exist) and usaaf markings.(which i do have it and the pics). Will also be building a swift at some point unless the one in my local shop is purchased by someone else, bout time I replace my initial build of it 

F86F1.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 9

Good subject Stu, love Sabres in RAF markings, the first chapter of Cold War Shield 2 that I got for Christmas that I read was the one on Sabres.

Which markings are you going for?

16 minutes ago, Wez said:

Good subject Stu, love Sabres in RAF markings, the first chapter of Cold War Shield 2 that I got for Christmas that I read was the one on Sabres.

Which markings are you going for?

thinking of the 92sqn ones having got the sheet out this morning....

3 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

thinking of the 92sqn ones having got the sheet out this morning....

Sweet!  Very colourful markings, 92 Sqn had some DG/DSG/PRU Blue RAFG coloured jets as well as the more usual DG/DSG/Silver ADGB coloured jets.

Just now, Julien said:

92 had a mixed bag of slatted and hard wings so not all aircraft can be built from the Airfix kit.

I'll have to re-read the 92 Sqn chapters of both the Sabre in the RAF and Cold War Shield 2, I thought the squadrons generally avoided operating mixed fleets on account of the different characteristics (particularly the landing speed) of the two different configurations.  I wouldn't be surprised if 92 started on slat winged aircraft and then changed over to the hard wing aircraft.

17 minutes ago, Julien said:

Looks like they were mainly slatted but some were hard wings, perhaps attrition replacements? maybe these were the PRU blue aircraft?

You could well be right.

14 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

well model decal say its a hard wing one with blue undersides........

I have absolute faith in the Modeldecal instructions being correct, they were meticulous in their research - an example some other decal manufacturers would do well to follow!

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Wez said:

You could well be right.

I have absolute faith in the Modeldecal instructions being correct, they were meticulous in their research - an example some other decal manufacturers would do well to follow!

I did find an error in the RAF Sabre book by looking at the model decal instructions on one of their photos.

• 2 weeks later...

Together, pretty simple kit, depending on how things go I may have a 2nd entry tommorow, high bidder on something on eBay, and if I lose that and the  forecasted snow doesn’t happen I shall venture into town to pick something else up 

33067368358_12874e8e25_b.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 2