It was a Lieutenant Anna Marladovna!

All patriotic girlfriend have name "Lieutenant Anna Marladovna" 

...in hollywood:

Annex%20-%20Leigh,%20Janet%20(Jet%20Pilo

😉😁😁

B.R.

Serge

I say! Hellooooo... :D 

I sprayed a coat of very-nearly black as an undercoat to the Aluminium and as I feared it showed I needed more work on the upper nose seam; I did this to my satisfaction and re-sprayed the relevant area, here is the current state of things:

DSCN0173.jpg

I shall give it a rub-down later on when I am happy that the paint has had enough time to cure, then hopefully get the alumiunium paint on before the weekend...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 6

It’s looking very good Stew.

Good tips on closing up this kit and detailing.

I hope that the canopy is clear to see all that nice detail 🙏 

If I had a chance with that particular  Lieutenant Anna Marladovna, I would defect tomorrow, no question, I would be off as fast as a ferret up a drainpipe 👍 .

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/30/2019 at 5:44 AM, Stew Dapple said:

Toothy. The 'septum' of the nose-ring is provided in clear plastic, complete with its own little mask for the landing light as can be seen here. No light is provided though, so, determined that my punch and die set should eventually pay for itself* I punched out a couple of little discs from plastic card:I then coloured them silver with a chrome pen:

DSCN7800.jpg

Hmm. Needs another coat of silver I think, we'll see how that goes but hopefully I can fake up an acceptable light to go in the little window provided.

Cheers,

Stew

* It will never pay for itself

Hey Stew, next time you're at the Big H's site, get you some of these,

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ED00020

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ED00021

In use: 

overhead.JPG&key=b62ef00daaf1ecb03df4bf4

Looky how shiny they is and all precut (more or less). BTW if thats a Molotow Pen, shaketh thou the beastie vigorously,for separate unto itself  does the solvent, yea.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you gentlefolks :)

@azureglo Thanks Anil, they are surpisingly cheap and I shall try them out :) 

One can learn a lot from reading the various threads on Britmodeller and one of the things that I picked up - and unfortunately forgot where exactly - is that the MiG-15 was painted, rather then just being a bare metal finish (apart from the airbrakes, which were stainless steel and did not accept the protective paint); working on the assumption that this was similar to the RAF High-Speed Silver I painted mine using Vallejo Metal Color (sic) White Aluminium. The Metal Color range are quite hardwearing for an acrylic and brush-paint very well. It took a few coats but this is what I ended up with:

DSCN0176.jpg

I'm not sure how realistic that is but it looks good to me and I am happy with it. I masked and re-sprayed the main gear bays:

DSCN0178.jpg

I stuck the Tamiya tape to my palms and removed and re-stuck it a few times to reduce the adhesive effect before I stuck it to the models, so that it didn't take the Aluminium paint off when I removed the tape; this worked fine. Next up will be to fit the landing gear and the various aerials and attachments, hopefully I am on the home  straight before applying the transfers...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 9

Painted finish yes Stew but individual panels and sections were painted prior to final construction so there was still some slight variation in shades. I'll try to find some photos later but using mobile 'phone at the moment. Then again you look to have a nice finish there and the shade variation was so slight in most of the photos I've seen as to be insignificant in 72nd scale. I'm looking forward to seeing the decals go onto this one as it'll give it a very individual sense of identity :goodjob:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Thanks Col, and I hope you are having a happy birthday :) 

Cheers,

Stew

I did have a good one thank you Stew :D 

• Like 1

Nice work Stew

I have a bottle of Vallejo metal colour aluminium at home bought on impulse so must dig it out a give it a spray sometime.

Look forward to more progress 

James

• Like 1

Thanks gents :D

James, I do like the Metal Color stuff, I don't know how it compares to, say, the AK Extreme Metal ones, it's not quite as good - in my opinion - to spray as Alclad, but it is adequate and a bit more user-friendly perhaps. To brush-paint however it is excellent over a basecoat of primer and it has become my weapon of choice for this sort of thing.

I've spent the week preparing the landing gear for painting, and attaching various aerials and what I think were radio altimeters, and I replaced the kit pitot tube with a section of Albion Alloys 0.4mm Aluminium micro-tube*:

DSCN0180.jpg

The Eduard instructions seem a little conflicted as to whether the main aerial mast just aft of the cockpit on the starboard side is angled or vertical, the Britmodeller walkaround confirms that it is angled.

Next up is to spray and assemble the gear legs/wheels/covers and then I think it's transfer time... hopefully I can get this done over the weekend unless the siren-song of the pub draws me and the dog in (again)... :D 

Cheers,

Stew

* because I've got some

• Like 7

Thank you gents :)  

As suggested, I painted the dive brakes and gun blast protective areas in a darker metallic shade; it should really be stainless steel but I didn't have any of that so I used Dark Aluminium instead. I also painted most of the various hatch covers and inspection panels in a mix of the White and Dark Aluminium Metal Colors - the contrast was perhaps a bit more than I anticipated, but it should settle a bit under a coat of satin varnish once the transfers are applied.

DSCN0184.jpg

DSCN0185.jpg

I think I'll put a light 'dirty wash' in the wheelwells to give an impression of shadow and dirt, the undercarriage parts were painted over the weekend so I will get those sorted out next...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 9

I got the dirty wash in the wheelbays and on the undercarriage parts:

DSCN0195.jpg

... and the undercarriage detail painting done:

DSCN0196.jpg

Next up is to get that assembled and installed, and I think it will be ready for the transfers... :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 6

... and she's on her feet:

DSCN0201.jpg

I found the landing gear fitting very fiddly and I'm not convinced mine is exactly right but it won't really notice underneath anyway... and I'm so pleased that the amount of nose-weight was adequate in the end :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

... and she's on her feet:

About Eduard MiG-15 feet. Probably they are too long.

Some fresh information from Russian forum:

http://scalemodels.ru/articles/12910-Eduard-1-72-mig-15.html

In the discussion,

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_77479.html

with reference to this factory drawing:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/img_1539662_1551367291_mig-15bis_skhema_1_cr.jpg.html

the following is written:

"In relation to the model: the base (3175) is multiplied by the tangent of the angle (0.0448) and divided by 72. We get that the main stands are longer by about 2 mm. Plus, it seems, there is no their inclination back"

As an option, the legs are given in the unloaded condition.

But I would also like to receive additional advice on this theme  from @ya-gabor

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Aardvark said:

About Eduard MiG-15 feet. Probably they are too long.

How strange, after I fitted the landing gear I was surprised at how low to the ground the aircraft sat, to find that it should be even lower is quite surprising :) 

There were only 8 transfers to apply:

DSCN0205.jpg

I was not entirely happy with them at first, they are beautifully printed and clearly of the highest quality. but they seemed very thick and reluctant to settle down under an application of Micro Sol. I was a bit disappointed about that, as there are some very lovely markings options in the 'box-set'. However I should have had more faith as once they had  a while to set they did look a lot better - I slapped them into final submission with a couple of applications of Mr Mark Decal Softer (so many things wrong with that name in English, though I'm sure it makes perfect sense in Japanese).

Having studied the aerial wire fitting, I added another pair of Bob's Buckles to the top of the mast and the fuselage attachment point by the cockpit.

Hopefully tomorrow I will get the varnish coat on, and the final details done on Sunday...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 5

Magnific, măreţ, nemaipomenit, splendid*!

(*Somewhat disappointed that my first response, "splendid", translated into Romanian as "splendid", I sought some more interesting Romanian superlatives!)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stew Dapple said:

How strange, after I fitted the landing gear I was surprised at how low to the ground the aircraft sat, to find that it should be even lower is quite surprising :) 

I cited only one statement concerning the calculation according to the scheme from the factory manual. Perhaps this person thought something wrong...or maybe right. But in that topic, the general 

opinion that something is wrong with the legs MiG-15 Eduard:

- "It seems to me that something is wrong with the main posts, the parking angle is not correct from this. In photos, as a rule, there is always a slight backward slope."

- "When viewed in internet build 

MiG-15 does not leave the feeling that the "posture" they have something wrong, too high stand and parking angle should be with a trim on the "stern" ... but all these questions, as they say -to manufacturer ..."

- "Not the fact, the rack may not be very crimped, but you can properly assemble. I did not building, only I prepare, I will not judge by this.

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/img_1539644_1551362904_1434454916_2.jpg.html

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/img_1539644_1551362991_1409216746_20140828_123506.jpg.html

"

- "This modern photo doesn’t give an idea, the whole plane is "on a half-bent" for some reason, at least the front desk, but the MiG-15, as they say, is a "healthy person")))

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/img_1539656_1551366119_Mig_15_34-3837M.jpg.html

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/img_1539656_1551366138_395450_16_i_052.jpg.html

"

e.t.c.

That's why I offered to ask Ya-gabor.

B.R.

Serge

P.S.

But I have one idea how to check the legs. Write later

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1