Eduard 1/72 MiG-15 - Romanian Film Star

Thanks gents :) 

I got the interior parts installed:

DSCN7751.jpg

You might see in the picture above the lead wire that I crammed into the gap behind the instrument panel. FUTURE ME, WHEN YOU BUILD THE OTHER MIGS DON'T DO THIS and here's why:

DSCN7753.jpg

It made it impossible to fully close the fuselage and it forced the instrument panel back slightly. Hopefully I will be able to cover up the evidence of the error of my ways. Fortunately the underside gun pack cover still fits perfectly and hopefully the same will apply to the nose-ring. Speaking of the underside, I added a bit more Liquid Gravity held in place with PVA:

DSCN7755.jpg

I hope after all that it won't end up a tail-sitter. In my immediate future I foresee some filling and sanding. Whoo-hoo! <_<

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 10

I'd be really surprised if this one does end up resting on it's bum with all that lead shot in it's nose!

Edited by Col.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Seconded. Might make a dent in the bench though... :D 

Aye Stew please be careful you don't drop it on your foot! Have to work on this one with steel toe-cap boots from now on.

• Haha 5

Thanks Col, Ced... it's not actually lead shot, it's some kind of ferrous metal; I hope the amount I used will be enough as it's not as heavy as it looks...

I got the filling and sanding done before the weekend:

DSCN7758.jpg

Over the weekend I fitted the tail-feathers - a very nice fit:

DSCN7783.jpg

... and assembled the wings:

DSCN7785.jpg

The instructions indicate that this particular marking option has a semi-circular cut-out on the port inboard wing fence; I managed to do this quite easily with a small circular file but you have to judge the position of the cut-out by eye:

DSCN7786.jpg

Before I attach the wings I wanted to try adding an anchor-point for the aerial wire and I thought I'd give some eyelets from Bob's Buckles a go - they are almost microscopically tiny and I think it will be easier to thread the Infini Lycra Thread through there than to try to stick it directly on the tailfin:

DSCN7788.jpg

I drilled a tiny hole and used a tiny amount to superglue:

DSCN7791.jpg

Now I must remember not to crush it with my (comparatively)  enormous thumbs :) 

Wing fitting next...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 12

14 minutes ago, CedB said:

I've had a look at their site but how do you order them??!! Did you get the 1/48 size for 1/72?

Hi Cedders old boy :) I did get the 1/48, I've previously bought the 1/32 scale ones as well - they're tiny too, but a little less so... if you scroll down the page on the link you attached, you'll see some PayPal buttons, you use these to pick the scale and quantity desired - it's the one on the left if you just want eyelets. Pick the scale then click on the button and you order in multiples of 10.

Cheers,

Stew

• Thanks 1

Thanks gents, we'll see how the buckle plan turns out, as long as I don't make a mess of it :) 

I fitted the wings:

DSCN7792.jpg

There was a small gap along the join, which I painted in wth some Citadel Liquid Green Stuff:

DSCN7795.jpg

I left that to dry overnight and next morning scrubbed perpendicular to the seams with cotton buds dipped in IPA, which cleaned it up nicely without removing all the filler from the gaps:

DSCN7797.jpg

Attention now returns to the nose of the aircraft; I de-sprued, cleaned up and fitted the Quickboost guns:

DSCN7802.jpg

Toothy. The 'septum' of the nose-ring is provided in clear plastic, complete with its own little mask for the landing light as can be seen here. No light is provided though, so, determined that my punch and die set should eventually pay for itself* I punched out a couple of little discs from plastic card:

DSCN7799.jpg

I then coloured them silver with a chrome pen:

DSCN7800.jpg

Hmm. Needs another coat of silver I think, we'll see how that goes but hopefully I can fake up an acceptable light to go in the little window provided.

Cheers,

Stew

* It will never pay for itself

• Like 12

Thanks for the tip on the Bob's website Stew - ordered!

On 30/01/2019 at 05:44, Stew Dapple said:

I then coloured them silver with a chrome pen

Looks like you had the same problem as me - did it look 'fizzy' when you put it on? I'm wondering if it's the surface or if the pen's got old…

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CedB said:

Looks like you had the same problem as me - did it look 'fizzy' when you put it on?

Exactly that Ced, the plastic card on its own is smooth enough but I've no idea of the reason for the uneven finish... anyway since then I tried a second coat (no better) and fitted the disc behind the little window anyway on the reasonable suspicion that no-one will see it once it is done :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

On 1/30/2019 at 8:44 AM, Stew Dapple said:

I punched out a couple of little discs from plastic card:

DSCN7799.jpg

I then coloured them silver with a chrome pen:

DSCN7800.jpg

Hmm. Needs another coat of silver I think, we'll see how that goes but hopefully I can fake up an acceptable light to go in the little window provided.

But why paint? Why it was impossible punched out a couple of little discs from

tape foil:

Foiltapeflipped-587e24aef2715.jpg

and applied his on little discs from plastic card?

😦

I always do that, if not suitable aftermarket headlight. 

B.R.

Serge

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Over the weekend I got the nose-parts fitted:

DSCN7804.jpg

... and fitted the gunsight and the canopy:

DSCN7808.jpg

I did get the distinct impression that Eduard really do want you to display the model with the canopy open, or perhaps it was due to my earlier clumsiness with the nose-weight, but it certainly seemed a tough proposition to close up the canopy, one that, ultimately, I solved with a dab of gel superglue and a silent prayer to the modelling godesses not to fog my canopy. Of course I won't know until I remove the mask whether my prayer was in vain but I already paid the additional price of snapping off one of the resin gun barrels which I have little faith in ever seeing again. Still, if it comes to that I can replace it with some micro-tube or stretched sprue depending on what is more effective - I do have the kit parts to take a measurement from which is something.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 10

2 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Maybe the pilot is in there with his patriotic girlfriend having a bit of a proletariat canoodle?

Now there's a diorama concept :D All for the glorious progression of The Motherland of course ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

his patriotic girlfriend

I know who is it!

It was a Lieutenant Anna Marladovna!

All patriotic girlfriend have name "Lieutenant Anna Marladovna" 

...in hollywood:

Annex%20-%20Leigh,%20Janet%20(Jet%20Pilo

Photo with aggressive American capitalists- militarists:

dvd-jetpilot.jpg

B.w. typical Russian lieutenant