Eduard 1/72 MiG-15 - Romanian Film Star

This will be my effort for the Group Build:

DSCN7694.jpg

It's an attractive scheme for the early MiG-15, representing an aircraft that flew with the Forţele Aeriene ale Republicii Populare Română, or Romanian Air Force. As you can probably make out from the text in the picture, the blue arrow was painted on the aircraft for a film. The kit and decals come from this boxing from Eduard:

DSCN7690.jpg

I've had it for quite some time now so I'd do well to get on with it. The box is comprehensively packed with a Mig-15, 2 x MiG-15bis and a two-seater MiG-15UTI:

DSCN7696.jpg

I'll sort out what sprues/etched parts etc. I need nearer the start date. Since I bought the kit I have also accumulated a little aftermarket which I shall use for this build:

DSCN7697.jpg

These from Eduard - I believe the 'solid-hub' wheels are the early type and the 'spoked-hub' wheels the later type, so obvs I will be using the early ones. I also have this:

DSCN7699.jpg

Presumably I bought that on the assumption that I was too lazy or clumsy to drill out the kit gun barrels myself, which I am not*, but what's done is done.

Anyway, that's me - back next week :) 

Cheers,

Stew

* Actually I might be

• Like 19

17 hours ago, CedB said:

I'm in :popcorn:

Thanks, glad to have you along, Buffers  :) 

11 hours ago, Col. said:

Ooh, cool, a real live film-star in our GB :D Excellent choice of kit and subject.

Thanks Col :) 

10 hours ago, Oriskany said:

Great choice, i'm building UTI version right now.

The kit Is very accurate with nice details, but not so easy to put together

I'll follow you😉

Thank you mate - you sound like you speak from experience, is there anything in particular I should beware of?

I've edited the title and my opening post to cover up the fact that I can't tell my Romania from my Bulgaria even when it is written on the kit instructions <_<

I've also sorted out which sprues I need and given them a quick de-greasing wash in IPA, even though I know you don't really need to do this, it's become part of the pre-build ritual along with changing my Swann Morton scalpel blades and sacrificing a goat... anyway I think I am about ready to go on the 19th :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Ah well, poor goat. I always say, the best thing about starting a new kit is cold goat sandwiches for breakfast next morning*.

* I once used this joke about placenta during Mrs P's pregnancy and someone dropped a glass, so while a powerful arrow in my quiver, I employ it sparingly.

• Haha 8

4 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Thank you mate - you sound like you speak from experience, is there anything in particular I should beware of?

As I said, this is an awesome kit, but requires careful work on the fuselage / wings junction, especially on the lower surface, where a small gap must be filled with AC glue or a thin strip of plasticard. I suggest you do a patience dry fitting job before gluing the parts together. Another delicate point is the separate front lower section (with front undercarriage and guns fairings), good dry fitting test are required also here.

I love this kit, i have 8 of them😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/12/2019 at 2:14 PM, Stew Dapple said:

I also have this:

DSCN7699.jpg

Presumably I bought that on the assumption that I was too lazy or clumsy to drill out the kit gun barrels myself, which I am not*, but what's done is done.

I also bought this myself, but I bought it because of the gun fairings. The barrel of the guns, I bought brass from Master Models. The barrels of guns from Master models are exactly what you need for the MiG-15 from Eduard!

B.R.

Serge

• Thanks 1

That's a very striking scheme, Stew. I struggled a little (a lot, maybe) to get the 'pit closed up on the UTI version, but I'm sure that was both my fault (rather than the kit's), and unlikely to be replicated on the single-seaters.

• Thanks 1

Thanks very much gents, a little knowledge of the potential pitfalls is very useful :) 

So as we are cleared to go, here are the parts - the sprue specifically for the MiG-15:

DSCN7716.jpg

It takes a bit of finding if you have the Royal Class box set, but there is a serial stamped on the sprue (just above the starboard fuselage half in the picture above) which differentiates this sprue from those of the MiG-15bis. 

DSCN7718.jpg

DSCN7741.jpg

The sprues with the wings and small parts are identical for both of the single-seat Mig-15 kits. The pre-painted etched parts are specific to the early MiG-15:

DSCN7723.jpg

I don't have much in the way of 'modern' aircraft colours and I assume Eduard have done their homework when deciding on the colour of the interior etched parts... a root through the paint store found a good match* to their colour, it is Colourcoats RLM78. 

As we are now officially allowed to start, I removed the resin ejector seat parts from their moulding blocks:

DSCN7725.jpg

I hope to get the interior colours painted up today.

Cheers,

Stew

* Of course you can't really compare them in the picture as you can't make out the colour either of the paint or the pre-painted Eduard parts so you'll have to take my word for it, which might be a bold step seeing as my evil overlord @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies takes inordinate pleasure in pointing out that I am now at an age where my colour perception is basically right down the toilet and effectively past the u-bend.

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

I’m in Stew.

Long time no here and so on; this is a really nice group build subject. A good opportunity to re-join the Britmodeller throng.

I had wondered what the Eduard MiG 15 kits were like. I built the oldest Airfix kit years ago; lovely little kit. I also have unbuilt examples of Hobby Boss and the old KP kit in the stash. Too much choice :winkgrin:!!

For now I’m simply happy to have the pleasure of watching you build this one, in this very attractive paint scheme. 

Not every day we see a bold blue Eastern European flasher.

🤔 

Good luck with the build 👍 

TonyT

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you gents :) 

The jet-pipe inside was called out in the instructions as 'Dark Iron', I used the Tamiya paint of the same name and it looks a little excessively burnt to me, but then the colour call-outs refer to Gunze colours, not Tamiya so that might explain it - also I really don't have any idea what the inside of a jet-pipe looks like so it could conceivably look like that... 

DSCN7728.jpg

In any case once the parts are assembled you can't see in there anyway:

DSCN7743.jpg

I'll hopefully remember to paint the outside of the pipe aluminium before I fit it...

Yesterday evening I de-sprued and sprayed the interior parts:

DSCN7731.jpg

... and today I did the assembly and detail painting - first the seat, which is like a little kit all by itself:

DSCN7734.jpg

See those yellow cables/cords on the right-hand part? That was pretty tough to paint. When the seat is assembled you can't see them at all...

The cockpit floor, bulkheads, stick and rudder pedals:

DSCN7735.jpg

Sidewalls and various consoles and gubbins:

DSCN7737.jpg

The instrument panel and nosewheel bay:

DSCN7739.jpg

As you may observe, I gave all the painted parts a black wash of Citadel Nuln Oil to bring out the detail a bit, it might look a bit overdone in macro but it will hardly show at all when it is all closed up. After that I assembled all the cockpit parts:

DSCN7749.jpg

DSCN7747.jpg

Since then I've added some weight behind the IP (lead wire) and above the nose-gear bay (Deluxe Materials Liquid Gravity) - there's still some space underneath and behind the nosewheel bay and I'm reasonably hopeful of avoiding a tail-sitter - Eduard don't specify how much nose-weight is required but it wouldn't make any difference if they did as I don't have any scales.

So far I've been enjoying this build very much, the etched stuff has behaved nicely, I even used the little throttle levers. I did a dry-fit of the wings and they seemed to fit very well - hopefully they will do the same once the fuselage is joined up... :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 11

On 1/13/2019 at 6:52 AM, Procopius said:

Ah well, poor goat. I always say, the best thing about starting a new kit is cold goat sandwiches for breakfast next morning*.

* I once used this joke about placenta during Mrs P's pregnancy and someone dropped a glass, so while a powerful arrow in my quiver, I employ it sparingly.

I believe I may have already mentioned this before, so if you remember me doing so, please stop reading now; when my daughter was born, I stopped the midwife and I asked to see the placenta.

She said "why?  ( I cannot reproduce the tone of quivering shock in her face and voice ) I replied "It kept my daughter alive for 9 months"

I did see it. Nothing special. I like your joke though, PC.

Apologies Stew for the complete thread diversion - consider it closed.

I am watching this one though for tips, as I have a MiG 15 to build for the year of my birth (oops - sorry) GB.

Edited by Whofan
  • Like 4

50 minutes ago, Whofan said:

I believe I may have already mentioned this before, so if you remember me doing so, please stop reading now; when my daughter was born, I stopped the midwife and I asked to see the placenta.

Possibly a different time, but I saw it come out at the births of both of my children. It looked like uncooked flank steak, which has never been my favourite meal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Possibly a different time, but I saw it come out at the births of both of my children. It looked like uncooked flank steak, which has never been my favourite meal.

PC, with apologies to Stew and others of a profoundly more nervous and yet less biological nature, I had to look up flank steak - now I know it's bavette or skirt steak I know what it is (the "2 nations divided by a common language thing) and I can remember why it made ytu think of it.

• Haha 2

Nice progress so far on this Stew, I've been meaning to get around to getting one of these and the UTI for some time, seeing your progress has made me realise I should really pull my finger out and get on with it.

• Thanks 1

At uni we had to do some sort of practical with placenta tissue. I can't remember what it was, but they doled out whole placentas (placentae?) Every female student looked at the size of the thing in front of them and swore that they were never going to get pregnant. Only at the end did they tell us that they were bovine tissue. And, yes, then they told us that they weren't fit for human consumption, just in case any of us poor students got any ideas (we had).

As for your MiG, Stew, it looks the bee's knees. The jet pipe should look very grubby, I think: here's a picture of a Sea Hawk exhaust at Duxford (Nene engine, so much the same as a VK-1):

Seahawk_102.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

After that I assembled all the cockpit parts:

DSCN7749.jpg

Stew, You  can improve the headrest ejection seat by putting there a decal with stencil and/or signs as it was on the original:

img_248.jpg

(Features of the application of operational stencil on the armored heads of ejection seats of factories No. 1 and No. 21.)

Model makers unfortunately ignore this moment in decal

but it is very clearly visible in the model.

Resource photo:

https://coollib.com/b/393223/read#t22

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1