Accurate Miniatures 1/48 Grumman F3F-2

My second completion of the year was built for the Grumman GB on here (you'll find the WIP there if you are interested). This is my first biplane I have built since childhood but it couldn't have been easier thanks to the way Accurate Miniatures engineered the kit. The only addition to the kit parts was the aerial, everything else including the rigging was supplied. Painted using AK Interactive Xtreme Metal for the silver and Coluorcoats enamels for the main colours.

There are some other photos in the Gallery of the GB

IMG_5100-L.jpg

IMG_5097-L.jpg

IMG_5096-L.jpg

IMG_5086-L.jpg

IMG_5092-L.jpg

IMG_5093-L.jpg

A really enjoyable build and it looks like Academy will be releasing this very kit later this year so I highly recommend it to anyone who fancies tackling a biplane for the first time.

Duncan B

• Like 48

52 minutes ago, Baldy said:

Very nice model Duncan. A colourful era!

I'm not familiar with this AM kit - you say the rigging is provided? In what form?

Cheers

Malcolm

The kit included a brass Photo etch fret for the engine ignition harness, seatbelt and stuff and also a steel Photo etch fret for the rigging. The real thing had steel aerodynamic flying wires so it is true to the original. A bit fiddly to fit but looks the part when completed.

Duncan B

• Thanks 1

So, you did it Duncan, with turtle and all - congratulations! It looks really great. Colours, rigging, cockpit detail, everything superb.

Cheers, Michael

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Toryu said:

So, you did it Duncan, with turtle and all - congratulations! It looks really great. Colours, rigging, cockpit detail, everything superb.

Cheers, Michael

I had no need to panic about the turtle after all as it was there on the decal sheet!

I wish I’d fitted the rudder before decaling it to get the serial number and type markings to line up but other than that I’m happy with it. 

Duncan B

12 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

That turned out a stunner Duncan great job all round,Academy are releasing this kit again so must grab one.

I will also be grabbing one when Academy release it. Has to be one of the most enjoyable kits I’ve built in a while but there are a couple of bits I could have done better so room for improvement. 

Duncan B

• Like 1

Duncan

I went to your imgur photos and what a nicely done kit. I’ve got one tucked away and your photos have inspired me to pull it out.  One of my favorite builds on the web!  Congratulations. 

Charlie

Edited by cduckworth
Added my name
  • Thanks 1

Hello Duncan !

Really good one !

Congratulations ! I like the finish !!

I did one too, and I'm eager to catch another one as soon as I put my mits on it !!

Sincerely.

CC

5 hours ago, cduckworth said:

Duncan

I went to your imgur photos and what a nicely done kit. I’ve got one tucked away and your photos have inspired me to pull it out.  One of my favorite builds on the web!  Congratulations. 

Charlie

Thanks Charlie, it's a great kit so I'm sure you'll enjoy building it.

Duncan B