Sculthorpe Skulker ++FINISHED++

Nice choice of subject Ian :thumbsup: This one certainly covers plenty of our geographic area of interest. I'm keen to see how this kit goes together.

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

What a great choice, I've read a fair bit on the recce missions over the Soviet Union and Warpac so I'm very interested to see how this one goes together.

If there were now 40-50s .... I could well have written about this in the topic "Real Aviation" - "Planes above my head"!

😁

B.R.

Serge

P.S.

Are their routes over the Soviet Union published or not?

• Haha 2

The  book 'By any means necessary ' By William Burrow gives a description of the areas reconoitered by the missions and lists the IP as Denmark. The appendix also shows a map of key targets so you can piece together a general idea of the routes flown. Interesting to note that the planes were sent out 3 at a time on completely different routes to take advantage of the element of surprise. 

Colin 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Colin W said:

The  book 'By any means necessary ' By William Burrow gives a description of the areas reconoitered by the missions and lists the IP as Denmark. The appendix also shows a map of key targets so you can piece together a general idea of the routes flown.

For the first time I hear about this book. Could you see if there were routes over the Donbass region or Stalino city (the modern name is Donetsk city)?

If there were, then an interesting historical anecdote may occur.

I myself only found out about this fact it yesterday when I was looking for air monuments in the former Donetsk region.

The fact is that until 1951 in the Donetsk region there was a 

urban-type settlement

named ...... New York! 😲

So then their intelligence missions could pass over New York!😁😁😁

After 1951 this 

urban-type settlement was 

re-named in Novgorodske:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novgorodske

In English version Wikipedia 

there is nothing about such a geographical name, but in the Russian version

https://ru.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Новгородское_(Донецкая_область)

there are:

"The settlement of New York was founded by the Mennonites, invited to Russia by Catherine II. In Soviet times (before 1931) they were deported to the Amur Region, where they organized a settlement of the same name.

The village was called New York until 1951 [3]; under this name is mentioned in the drama of Victor Nekrasov "In his native city.""

This is possibly an interesting historical anecdote.

B.R.

Serge

P.S. 

What is the connection between

Novgorodske (former New York)

aircraft monuments? There should be installed on the MiG-15UTI on pedestal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Opened the box to have a look inside and a quick read of the instructions.

Instructions talk about plastic parts, resin parts and...what's this.... metal parts ? 

Turns out there's some photo- etch in there for instrument panels, steering yokes etc.

And some of the most detailed diagrams of pilot & co pilot panels I've personally seen in a kit.

So, quick trip online to the Big H to stock up on CA glue ( and a few more kits accidentally jumped into the basket !)...

hopefully arrives before the start of this GB since the first bits requiring assembly are - you guessed it -  the aforementioned 

instrument panels.

Decals provided for Op Jiu-Jitsu 1 and 2.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This is a kit I would like to build  but at £44 it's a but too expensive for me. Therefore the next bets thing is to sit back and watch.  So I will be a sculker on this build.

• Like 1

Well it's been a delayed start due to seasonal cold  ( I mean, NOBODY wants me to sneeze on the kit before taking pictures ! ) , so here we go with a "what's in the box" picture :

IMG_20190126_121318640

First step is to paint the photo-etch instrument panels. And then somehow detach them. And then superglue the plastic, photoetch and film transparency to my fingers......

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Predictions of superglued fingers proved to be surprisingly accurate !!

What I'd be tempted to do in future is forget the transparent film for the dials and just paint the plastic dark gloss black, and then glue the photo-etch straight onto the plastic.

In two minds whether to attempt to tidy up the panels with very fine paint brush, or leave it for a 'well-worn' look.

IMG_20190127_132221332_HDR

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, stever219 said:

How about using diluted PVA or Kristal Kleear as an adhesive for decals and brass as there’s no load to support?

I might have to think about getting some in for next  time !  

4 hours ago, IanHx said:

What I'd be tempted to do in future is forget the transparent film for the dials and just paint the plastic dark gloss black, and then glue the photo-etch straight onto the plastic.

art.gif

;)

B.R.

Serge

P.S.

This is colour photoetched for Revell MiG-21F-13 glued with Pledge(ex-Future):

20190127-204926.jpg

...five (or six...don't remember) years

ago.....and nothing fell off during this time.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

It's all gone quiet in here.... so here's my excuse :

apparently the number of solar rotations since getting hitched has a special significance,

demanding extra effort, money and time when it gets to Humbrol 11.

Right, back to modelling :

First, good call on the gloss varnish Col, really brought those panels to life.

Second : call me skeptical,  but I'm having a hard time believing the rails and top of the ejector seats

were bright yellow like the instructions say.  A bit of googling makes me think that the whole seat was a dark colour

and the seat padding ( won't call them cushions !) were yellow...

Third : starting on tailgunner bay, and some hefty ejector pin marks to sand down....

Fourth : really wish there was a Humbrol "32 and a half" for faded black. Don't  want the hassle of mixing paints as I'll never get the same shade twice...

Edited by IanHx
  • Haha 1

Started work on the flightdeck.  One thing that becomes apparent when comparing instructions with pictures of the real thing is that the ejection seat armrests are upside-down in the instructions.

Edit: Oh no they aren't.  The raised edges of the armrests are just really small in 1:72.....

Edited by IanHx
  • Like 1

Some pictures tomorrow... for now "what's taking so long ?" I hear you ask. Let's put it this way... just found the miniscule individual throttle lever photoetches that I have to glue x4 to the pilot's right front console....

Current state of play :

* tailgunner station fitted to fuselage

* front interior deck assembly assembled but not fitted

* next up : navigator station complete with 4 part telescope, cockpit seats & consoles. Followed by fitting of the previously mentioned to front interior deck assembly !

• Like 2