Sculthorpe Skulker ++FINISHED++

7 hours ago, IanHx said:

... just found the miniscule individual throttle lever photoetches that I have to glue x4 to the pilot's right front console....

Sounds fun Ian :blink:

11 minutes ago, Col. said:

Looks to be going well for you Ian. What's the, umm, 'object' to the left side of the cockpit?

The Red thing ? No idea. Don't think it's a fire extinguisher, but haven't found enough pictures of the bombardments station yet to positively identify it.

• Like 1

Heres a link to the 360 panographic camera view of the Tornado cockpits.  Go to the bottom of the link.

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/Museum-Exhibits/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/196105/north-american-b-45c-tornado/

Im guessing an extinguisher as theres a similar one in the co-pilots station. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Seats finally assembled.

Belts were very fiddly.

Am I going to attempt the incredibly small throttle levers ? To quote James May -  "Two words. Seven letters. Three of them are F".

IMG_20190302_172908160

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Today has been a lesson in mathematics.

Specifically,  stickiness (superglue, metal, plastic) < stickiness (superglue, finger )

Rudder pedals now attached. Should've painted them first...

• Haha 2

At this point the flight deck is glued into one fuselage half.  Lots of bits had to be refitted.

And nothing short of CA was going to keep it in place.

Waiting for front landing gear to set before doing any more.

• Like 1

Sand. Dry-fit. Repeat.  Yes, the fuselage on this particular build is a right sod to fit together....

Also seem to be missing the main wing spar, so bit of card cut to shape .

• Like 1

I once heard that superglue was invented during the Vietnam War to glue body parts together.

After assembling the resin exhausts I have no reason to doubt the veracity of this statement !

• Haha 1

Only downside with using runny CA is that you need to sand down the seams.

Engine pod hasn't turned out too bad.

IMG_20190324_130736129

Note to self :  READ...THE...DIMENSIONS...BEFORE...YOU....START.....BUILDING.....  :rage:

Attached the wings and now have a bad case of whereamigoingtoputitonceitsbuiltitis

IMG_20190324_164649783

1:72 bomber....  what was I thinking......

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Creepy Pete said:

Is your left wing also better fitting than the right one?

Yes. Might have been because I put the left one on first, and then had to hack away at the improvised cross spar. Definately more brute force and CA required for the right wing.

The other fun part is guesstimating the correct angle to attach the tailplane at.... instructions not overly helpful in this regard. Lots of Googling required :) 

• Like 1

How can we possibly make this large 1:72 bomber even more difficult to find space on the shelf for ?

YES !! TIP-TANKS !!

IMG_20190329_160404475

No this isn't a scratch-built top secret downward camera port.

It's the hole I made to pour the liquid gravity in :)

( it looked like it was going to be a bit of a tail sitter, so taking pre-emptive action with a little lot of liquid gravity )

IMG_20190329_170411133

• Like 7

Well, the wheels are on, and there's no other way to describe it except as a Collosal Tail Sitter.

Packed the nose and forward fuselage with lead weights and liquid gravity, but no joy.

Makes a great plane-shaped rattle though....

• Sad 1

On 4/3/2019 at 10:51 AM, franky boy said:

That is a big beast.

Can I make a suggestion. Hang it on a wall?

Ill get my coat now....

James

I suggested hanging it from the ceiling of my daughter's room. I never knew teenagers could meltdown for 2 hours straight... !  :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Unbelievable *. I'm now attaching the landing gear doors, and have come to the step where this kit - which has loads of extra PE etc- instead of having a piece for the forward gear bay door instead just lists the dimensions and tells me to make my own.... :gobsmacked:

* well, not that far-fetched. At least it's a simple part to scratchbuild. But imagine the furore if Airfix or Revell simply put in their instructions "we couldn't be bothered to provide all the bits, make this one yourself".

On the other hand at least Valom made an effort to provide the necessary info to fix their parts planning oversight, when they could have kept quiet and hoped nobody noticed...so credit for that.

Edited by IanHx
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2