Sculthorpe Skulker ++FINISHED++

Either the metal parts are really fiddly, or I'm extremely ham-fasted.....     quite possibly both....

The metal bits at the end of the nacelles caused a fair bit of consternation due to their propensity to stick to fingers, tweezers, anything that isn't plastic.....

IMG_20190420_160029282

• Like 4

Must admit I'd have been tempted to replace those with thin plasicard copies so well done for, erm, 'sticking' with them :thumbsup:

• Haha 2

It may have been mentioned - I haven't read all the posts - that there is a good section about Operation Jiu-jitsu in the "Cold War, Hot Jets" documentary if you can find it. It also has talk of the RAF u-2 operations.

Martin

• Like 1

Wasn't happy with the giant seam across the top of  nose, so a bit more filling and sanding...

Canopy on (surprise surprise that didn't want to fit either) , just a few more PE aerial blades to go.

2 minutes ago, Creepy Pete said:

Looks good! How are the Valom decals working out?

Will you let you know tomorrow if they've  actually set...

Generally they seemed nice and thick, just not much in the way of adhesive. Apart from one on the underside which I could have sworn velcroed itself into place as soon as it touched the plane !

• Like 1

Urrgghhhhh.....  those decals are hideous !   The roundels are ok, but the bands under the nose disintegrated as soon as they hit water.

Wish I'd just painted them in the first place !

Doing the Op Jiu Jitsu 2 scheme...  and what's  this ?  Instructions look like there's a giant bloodshot eye on the nose, but no sign of a decal for it. Going to have to get creative with a paintbrush and fine needle....

Edited by IanHx

So now it's done, what's the verdict on the kit ?  Mixed media kit of an interesting subject, highly detailed....  should have been an interesting build, but to be honest I found it a hard slog.

Think that probably says more about my lack of modelling ability than the kit though.

If there's one thing I can take away from this build....   "CA sticks parts to fingers better than it sticks to plastic"  !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I have been following your build since you started, very good to see an RB-45C in RAF markings here. I do have the Valom kit in my stash, definitely an 'Approach with Caution' kit after your experience!

Michael

25 minutes ago, Ghostbase said:

. I do have the Valom kit in my stash, definitely an 'Approach with Caution' kit after your experience!

Michael

Wouldn't say that, more of a "Don't rush it" kit .  I mean, how many kits do you get to hand-paint a giant bloodshot all-seeing eye on the nose ?  :)

Edited by IanHx
  • Haha 2