Frankenvark WIP

I had to do a theme pic for this one.  Three kits needed to do this one. and one had to be Airfix since it's for Hyperscales classic British kits forum.

"I am a scientist and a genius."

file.php?id=23872

I used an Airfix F-111 kit as a base and parts of the old toy like Revell kit but needed a decent kit to rob landing gear wells and the gear itself but didn't want to use the expensive Hasegawa kit so settled on the Italeri kit. A real live kit bash. Here's how far I got until life intervened and I had to put it away for a few years. I recently reconnected with Hyperscale and popular consensus there is to finish the job.

file.php?id=23874

I guess after looking again it's a four kit bash since I robbed Phoenix missiles from a Hasegawa F-14 kit. Here's what it looked like after the tape was removed and it was set for boxing and storage.

file.php?id=23873 

I bought a Verlinden Productions F-111 cockpit. Aires and Pavla make much better stuff than VP used to put out but it was the only game in town at the time. It came with a thick PE set that I used to make an open canopy with.

IMG_2066.jpg

I vacuformed the canopy and cut pieces to fit the PE sections.

IMG_2084.jpg

IMG_2095.jpg

I masked it for painting while I was at it. I also worked out the translating cowl on one side. now I have to do it mirror image on the other.

IMG_2088.jpg

Right now I have put the fuselage together without the wings. My biggest stumbling block has been how to fill the gaping cavity behind the wing. I got the big idea of assembling it without the wings. The pivoting wings were in the way. I was stuck with them having to be fitted. 

file.php?id=25007&mode=view

Not! The F-111B is often shown in photos with its wings in mid sweep while parked on the ramp so that's how mine will be. And of course, in a stroke of pure luck I snagged these decals off of E-Bay.

IMG_20351.jpg

Hopefully this weekend I'll post my first update...

• Like 7

I'll grab a seat and watch with interest how this progresses if that would be alright. Have a few pictures from the internet that may help along.

35527725151_76748f9038_od8a6883ea10f8b41b7fbb00eb792baf4F-111B 714 Flaps Down

These are not my pictures and may be used to aide in your build. There are a lots of differences in the B model from the other models. Just to let you know that some research may assist you in this also.

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, stever219 said:

Navy Bird did a very good job on an F-111B on this very site only last year.

google "Britmodeller navy bird F-111B" 

If I knew how to link it to this I would do.

cut and paste the address bar is the answer, I hope the above is the right one!

PS

Ah, this is the build, so more likely of use

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies, guys. Update time:

"No. No. Be of good cheer. If science teaches us anything, it teaches us to accept our failures, as well as our successes, with quiet dignity and grace."

file.php?id=26561

Looks like success is what I've up to lately...

...Thought I'd botched with the Testors metalizer burnt iron I tried on the exhaust. the contrast was just too stark.

file.php?id=26562&t=1

But I dusted it with stainless steel and it came out fine.

file.php?id=26563&t=1

I need to figure out how to adjust my camera for that glare but you can see the burner section well enough I hope.

file.php?id=26564&t=1

I finished the wings and glued them in place with the medium sweep the were often shown parked with and bought some Quickboost 
F-4 seats to put in it. The nose section is taped to fit check and it'll need work...

file.php?id=26565&t=1

file.php?id=26566&t=1

file.php?id=26567&t=1

That's it for the moment. I'll keep on keepin' on...

• Like 3

Uberdave1,

Before you go headon with the Martin Baker series seats that were used in the F-4 Phantom, the F-111B did not use that seat. It used the Escapepac series similar to the A-4 Skyhawk.

BuNo 151972 cockpitF-111A ejection seat

Aircraft serial 151972 used the ecapsepac seats as these pictures show. Also Serial numbers 151970 and 151971 used these. Just for your information that is. Your doing a great job on this kit bash.

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, f111guru said:

Uberdave1,

Before you go headon with the Martin Baker series seats that were used in the F-4 Phantom, the F-111B did not use that seat. It used the Escapepac series similar to the A-4 Skyhawk.

BuNo 151972 cockpitF-111A ejection seat

Aircraft serial 151972 used the ecapsepac seats as these pictures show. Also Serial numbers 151970 and 151971 used these. Just for your information that is. Your doing a great job on this kit bash.

Ron VanDerwarker

...Well, dang. I'll have to get some A-4 seats. It'll be as close as they come I guess. Must'a read F-4 and should'a read A-4.

Uberdave1,

Looking good there. Coming along quite nicely. Started this little gem some 20 or more years ago. Had a few old Revell TFX kit and cast the nose and speed bump ends and used a Hasegawa F-111C kit for the rest.

100_6832

Still a work in progress.

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update time...  Well, it's late-late, but I put in a few licks anyway.

file.php?id=28389&t=1

Tryin' to show how I've fitted the boat-tail, cleaned up the pointy fairings and tried to make the Revell, ESCI (Not Italeri) and Airfix parts line up.

file.php?id=28390&t=1

They weren't entirely compatible or agreeable.

file.php?id=28391&t=1

file.php?id=28392&t=1

And the Escapack seats needed a space carved out for them

file.php?id=28394&t=1

...More to come, hopefully soon.

Edited by Uberdave1
separated words in text
  • Like 5