12 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Very nice work Dennis, this has come together quickly and very nicely too.

You are quite right about these Monogram kits, they were excellent for their time.

Thanks Craig, another good reason i like monogram kits. They're good for practicing scratch building and detail work. Good amount of detail is there and you can augment this by adding a few bits and pieces.   

• Like 1

Hello all ... Well for todays update. I was able to fill, sand, rescribe the wing/fuselage joins.

QJDHu6R.jpg

I also did some work on the pylons and droptanks. I opted to go with the “Nuke” on the port inboard station. That required me modifying the existing pylon. Heres the work i did compared to the stock pylon for the starboard side. aaArYjw.jpg

Heres the real deal again, i think

7BG9CFS.jpg

i did a decent job of it. So that leaves me at the painting stage ? Im still thinking of the 390th FBS

mgwUjSx.jpg

or 92nd FBS both in the Yellow/Black.

A4qL5Ie.jpg

Heres a 92nd F-84 in flight carrying the device.

nqxRgwy.jpg

and last is the kit decals for the 78th FBS a sister squadron to the 92nd

Tmwu0Tb.png

as my primary candidates.  Any thoughts, questions, comments, or jokes ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 3

Tidy work there Dennis :goodjob:

As for the colourschemes? Well the 390th looks cool but will need a lot of maskingtape strips and while I like the 92nd the black edging will also require some very careful masking so if you go with the kit decals for the 78th I can't blame you and it'll still produce a colourful model :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Well theres a temporary halt to work on the Thunderstreak folks. This was the Temperature @ 9:00 am. 5AFPiis.png

And currently. 

v3QY7ex.png

As my workstation is next to the main entrance to my house i cannot paint/decal anything until it warms up. Funny thing is its supposed to be 50* above 0 on Saturday ? A change of 80* in 3-4 Days. 

Dennis

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

We here in the UK have been hearing a little about the 'Polar Vortex' currently battering you folks in the USA and it certainly sounds a tough winter. Hope you're staying safe and warm there Dennis.

• Thanks 1

A bit nippy to be sure Dennis, Mrs hewy would have a lot to say about those temps, and undoubtedly have our wood burning stove blazing on full bore, on a side note I'm for the 92nd, there's plenty of colour there, the yellow and black looks tops for me against the bmf, good job so far

• Thanks 1

Hello everyone... I was finally able to get back to work today. I sprayed the black primer coat and next up is the Aluminum.  oYlL6gM.jpg

v6R6hCY.jpg

VhfquOt.jpg

I figured out which scheme i will be going with as well. Ive decided Yellow is my friend here. I decided it will be the 92nd FBS from RAF Manston. I opted for this because fellow members & myself liking the scheme. That and a friend urging me to go this route. 

nqxRgwy.jpg

Not this exact plane as i dont have the codes, but one just like it from the squadron. Now this particular plane ⬆️ has a black Anti-glare panel but this one has O.D. ⬇️A4qL5Ie.jpg

I think i will opt for the O.D. It looks different. Questions, comments, or jokes ? 

Dennis

• Like 6

Glad you survived the cold Dennis. I had to laugh at the weather forecast "-22Feels like -49o" - personally I thought that was not really very useful, as I can't imagine what -22feels like and I think most people would be hard pressed to differentiate between -22and -49beyond saying both are extremely cold. I suppose if you are regularly exposed to those extremes of temperature after a while you might be able to tell the difference, but I hope you will not experience them often enough to learn it :) 

Regarding the pictures, I'm not sure, but it looks as if they're both OD anti-glare panels, just in different light - compare with the black spine panel in each case... anyway it makes no odds since you wanted to go with OD anyway :) Those markings are going to look great B) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

I suppose if you are regularly exposed to those extremes of temperature after a while you might be able to tell the difference, but I hope you will not experience them often enough to learn it

I actually like extremely cold weather. I grew up in Northern Wisconsin where temps like these are more common. I applied three times to get to McMurdo Station in Antartica in the 1990’s. Never did get there though. It only stinks because i cant paint in the cold weather.

Dennis

• Like 1

Hello All... I was able to get some painting done in between decal sessions. I got both the aluminum and O.D. Anti-glare panel done.

VlsUO8n.jpg

kX3Cmhz.jpg

3zq852h.jpg

gC7Qekk.jpg

KkBz7EO.jpg

I will let that set a day or so to cure. Then i can start the different metal accent panels, yellow, & black. Questions, comments, or jokes. 

Dennis

• Like 7

Hola all... I did some more spraying today. I sprayed the tanks and Mk.7, the landing gear and bay doors, and sprayed some contrasting metal panels. 

naIfabE.jpg

I noticed the horizontal stabs. Had these panels on upper/lower sides. 

2ZXRMtN.jpg

I picked out various doors and panels.

pGGNAIt.jpg

KYt6nE7.jpg

9DvUS7v.jpg

Lc0HdXw.jpg

ZfvuBp4.jpg

8bHqK2U.jpg

I did the nose wheel but its small and my camera has a hard time focusing.

Anyone have an idea on the color i should use for the nosecone on the Mk.7 ? While doing research i came across a couple new photos ? I think they're concrete training units but am curious ? First photo shows it mounted.

nI9YKk1.jpg

the second is a close-up from a museum possibly ?

nKmTizq.jpg

This is the standard coloring in most photo’s. ⬇️ I am trying to figure out the color for the nose cone ? Any idea’s red, red-brown, brown ? 

pDg8nG0.jpg

pKnQlC5.jpg

I was and still am leaning towards the aluminum/red-brown colors not the green training color ? However any thoughts on the matter are welcome ?  

Dennis

• Like 2

Hmm, given the time-frame of our GB I'd say the training rounds would have been regularly played with but the proper toys must have made an apperance sometimes as well, personally I'd go red/brown nose and silver body with the yellow stripes but that's mainly 'cause it looks pretty :lol: 

• Like 1

Hello everyone... I mocked up the tanks and bomb to see how they looked.

SCRUFt6.jpg

BmNNC7Y.jpg

I then did some more touch-ups and painted the Mk.7. 

Wc8MOoC.jpg

JBX6J9n.jpg

I recieved a couple of possible answers pertaining to my question on the colors? Turns out i may need to repaint the Mk.7.  Supposedly the yellow stripes shouldn't be on an active weapon.   Though i did some looking at available photo’s. They look like they belong to me. I used chocolate brown as a base with red drybrushed over to get the red/brown fibreglass color. Questions, comments, or jokes anyone.

Dennis

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Nice choice of markings for the scheme, that bright yellow will really help her to stand out.

Thanks Craig.. thats what my daily dose of fun activities will be working towards today. I get to make all 6 lightning bolt masks. 😨 Then i get to mask off all the areas, where the yellow will be sprayed on Monday or Tuesday, oh yay. If i have time i will decal my Mk.18 Spitfire. 

Dennis

• Like 1

Hey everybody... So i masked up everything yesterday. I sprayed & finished the yellow paint today. I think for the most part im done with painting. The yellow looks real good and just needs a little bit of touchup here and there where the paint bled through. The only minor disaster came with the port upper wing. I had it about 80% masked. Yet somehow the yellow found the opening. Mind now it was no where near where i was spraying but it happened. Now i will need to re-spray the Aluminum.

I attempted to clean the wing, but that just softened the clear and the aluminum underneath. Right now its mostly aluminum with streaky black base and yellow still on the wing ?

fUIr2j6.jpg

Without further talk here is the streak with paint on. 

vpDUe28.jpg

2qv3oBT.jpg

NYLEdJ5.jpg

HrQKz0E.jpg

And next up are some close ups of the nose area. Now on the actual plane the nose gear door’s are all yellow. But i thought the yellow should come to a point. So i masked the doors that way.  

fwwNqz1.jpg

BhwZ5ji.jpg

I hope it meets with your expectations and approval. Per my usual closing, questions, comments, or jokes.

Dennis

• Like 6

Thanks @Col. ... i was sitting here thinking :shutup: (bad idea sometimes). I realized in the end the markings will be about 80% paint. Bars & Stars, U.S.AIR FORCE tags, & a few odds and ends will be decals. Seems im starting to angle this way with more builds. I cant afford to but a lot of A/m or new decal sheets with my yearly budget. I have 30+ years of purchased & leftover decals. I’ve found lately with some creative masking and using what i do have. I can usually get just about any set of markings i need. 

Dennis

• Like 2

Must admit my most recent project went down the same route due to a lack of suitable decals on the market and it proved to be an enjoyable process as well as being, as you say, a cheaper option.

• Like 1