Hello Everybody ... This will be my entry for this build. The classic but very good Monogram Republic F-84F Thunderstreak. 

5UYF3fJ.jpg

I will choose which markings i will do this in as i approach the painting stage. My two - three options are 390th T.F.S out of Chambley-Bussieres France. This one has Yellow/Black striping. 

CKmUglf.jpg

The other is the 77th T.F.S.

zA54r8d.png

These are the markings of the CO of the 77th. Lt.Col.Bob Ackerly. The 20th were at RAF Wethersfield. From the NMUSAF records.

”Nov 1951–22 May 1952; Wethersfield RAF Station, England, 1 Jun 1952; Shepherds Grove RAF Station (later, RAF Shepherds Grove), England, 9 Aug 1955; RAF Wethersfield, England, 27 Apr 1956.” See everyone when this starts next week, @Col. Thanks for setting this build up im looking forward to it. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Hello everybody ... Sorry for my slight delay in joining the fun, there was a family medical emergency on Friday. I haven't been idle though, First the obligatory sprue shots. 

Y4D2goS.jpg

KaDeJrI.jpg

Im planning on building this with the pilot. Reason being is i will be mounting the Mk.7 Device on the port wing. I doubt even for drills they would have a practice device on a plane, without a pilot on board. 

So for my first day i built up the cockpit.

b01Nq2V.jpg

2sNwbNw.jpg

D2CsWyI.jpg

I did mount the office to the starboard fuselage side. Currently its drying and i will photograph it tomorrow. The ejection seat is still seperate and i will attempt a better photo as well.

Still not sure which markings i will be going with ? The kit decals are for the 78th FBS “The Bushmasters”, part of the 81st FBG. From 1952-1992 they shuttled between RAF Shepards Grove, RAF Sculthorpe, and RAF Woodbridge. I believe that means they qualify ? I also have the other units of the 20th FBG (55th & 79th). As well as the other units of the 366th FBG (389th, 391st, & 480th) to choose from. I only mention this as @rafalbert was a little concerned about duplication of markings. I will let him have the 77th and i can sort out which unit to go with. Questions, comments, or jokes ? 

Dennis

• Like 10

No need to appologise Dennis, family comes first, you're off to a great start. Glad to hear you're using the pilot, they are such an unfortunate rarity in modern kits these days, the Monogram ones were always particularly good in my opinion. The 78th FBS certainly qualifies based on their geography :thumbsup: 

• Thanks 1

Agree with others regarding the cockpit, you've done a good job there.

Later F-84F's had Dark Gull Grey cockpits but I would expect most of the bits of gubbins which make a cockpit to have been interchangeable, I wonder how many times in service green part migrated to grey cockpits and vise-versa :hmmm:it makes me want to do it just to mess with people's heads.

As for having a pilot in the aircraft during nuke loading drills, frankly and speaking as ex-groundcrew, a pilot is the last person I would want anywhere near an aircraft during any form of maintenance activity unless they were forced to wear boxing gloves in order to stop them flicking the wrong switch at the wrong moment or just breaking something as is their wont and also made to wear a gag to stop them interfering.

Edited by Wez
speelung
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Wez said:

I wonder how many times in service green part migrated to grey cockpits and vise-versa :hmmm:it makes me want to do it just to mess with people's heads

I think thats a good idea ... As for the pilot. I agree during a maintenance cycle, but during a Nuclear drill ? I would think the pilot would be required for that ? If im wrong id be happy to drop the idea. Seeing as im definitely in the category of “he couldn't draw a stick figure to save his life” group. Primary reason i never build wheels up either, im better at painting the cockpit than people. 

Hello everyone ... Well for todays update i was able to get a few things done. I can say having built Monogram models my whole life is that theyre cheap, decent detail and go together rather quickly. I forgot to show these photos yesterday. Cockpit mounted in the fuselage.

ZePpDbv.jpg

Here are a couple shots of the ejection seat. 

IeTBN4g.jpg

sV9kGTQ.jpg

Todays work amounted to adding the burner can, intake/nosegear bay, and weight to the fuselage. Once done i sealed the fuselage.  

68Ak0Qu.jpg

ohk8q3W.jpg

Next up is to start sanding, filling, and rescribing the Fuselage. Also i will start building the wings. Questions, comments, or jokes if you please ? 

Dennis

• Like 11

That looks really great Dennis.  I think we shall have a full assortment of the "Thunder" family in this GB.  

I always feel a little sad when I work on a cockpit only to close it all up...😓 Yours is looking particularly fine.

Edited by John D.C. Masters
  • Thanks 1

Did some more work and built up and placed the wings today. 

ytGRRku.jpg

eBrCJtp.jpg

The wings are only mocked up in these photo’s. I will sand, fill, & rescribe them seperately before adding to the fuselage. You can see where ive already started with a rough shaping sanding, as well as surfacer. Once thats dry i will add filler where it needs it. So far only the bottom seam from nose gear to tail bump. Thats the only bad spot that will need true filler. Thats a big plus as this is a NMF aircraft.

I built 3-4 of these in the 80’s & early 90’s and could swear there was a different pylon for the Mk.7 ? But apparently my brain is more addled than i originally thought. So after serious google searching, there is a slightly different shape to the pylon from the standard one ? Im thinking its one of two things. It really is a seperate pylon, or its an aerodynamic fairing on the standard pylon. This would help the pylon conform better to the shape differences between the Mk.7 & Large droptank ? I may go with the option “B” when i build that part. I already have read the Two page thread started a while ago about this very issue ?

Any ideas/thoughts of either different pylon vs. aerodynamic fairing ? 

Dennis

• Like 4

Hmm, sounds as if the 'special' pylon was similar to but subtly different from the tank pylon and you have the wrong version of the kit, perhaps worth asking if anyone has spare parts in the Wanted section of the For Sale area?

• Thanks 1

Hello Everyone ... I finished the sanding on the Fuselage, wings, & Droptanks/Nuke. Still need to replace the lost detail but thats for tomorrow night. 

8AYRJQJ.jpg

Now im trying to decide which route to go with this ? Do i go with 4 Drop tanks, or do i go 3 tanks and a Nuke ? The large tank on the port wing gets replaced by the Mk.7 with that option. 

cJU0ThD.jpg

I did some digging around in the link posted above. I did find a picture of the Mk.7  in stores mode. It was in one of the various links in that thread. 

pBghFKj.jpg

So i suitably modified my bomb,

rFdkUtj.jpg

rC2MoEk.jpg

KbhCxOj.jpg

not a big deal since I've got 3 in case it didn't work. To do this i had to rotate the bomb 180* from the kits display mode. So i filled the original mounting holes, and drilled them on the reverse side. Heres a Photo of an F-84K Thunderflash carrying a Mk.7 and you can see the twin tails pointing up the single fin stored.

7BG9CFS.jpg

This photo also gives me a great sideview to see the pylon as well. They dont have the outer pylon mounted so you get a clear picture of what everything looks like. As is my usual questions, comments, or jokes ? 

Dennis

• Like 3

Hello ... well i finished scribing and added the wings today. oFJMz0v.jpg

The joins will need to be filled and smoothed out next. However i see no major issues with this build currently. Still working out which scheme im going for but have it graphed out. 

F-84F THUNDERSTREAK

MARKING OPTIONS

20 FBG = 55th FBS - Blue/white

79th FBS - Yellow/black

81 FBG = 78th FBS - Red/black

91st FBS - Blue/yellow

92nd FBS - Yellow/black

93rd FBS - ? 

366 FBG = 389FBS - Blue/white

390FBS - Yellow/black

391FBS - Red/white

480FBS - Green/white

Ive been working on a few other builds besides this. I have my B-18 bolo over in the maritime patrol build. And as a side filler ive also been working on two Spitfires and two Hawkers since last September & October. The Hawker’s are a Mk.1 from Malta and a Tempest Conversion from a Mk.V to a Mk.VI. The Two Spitfires are a Mk.Vb and a Mk.18. Heres what the look like as of today. 

bmbFqmi.jpg

The Mk.Vb has the complete desert scheme done which has been over sprayed with a custom blue. Question, comments, or jokes if you please ? 

Dennis

• Like 4

Your 'streak is coming on well Dennis. Those side projects are also a bit marvelous  :thumbsup:  The Malta Hurricane and Spitfire make for interesting subjects and your rendition of the Spitfire's camouflage in particular looks great but that doesn't deminish from the Tempest and other Spitfire. A quality selection going on there.

• Thanks 1