De Havilland Venom.  How can anyone not love a Venom?  

I mean, a Vampire is pretty cool, right?  But a Venom is a Vampire on steroids....  and the night fighter versions...?  Well, they are just typically 1950s.

So I fancy building the Cyber Hobby Venom NF.3

V-001.JPG

• Like 20

Great choice of subject Enzo, you're right about the Venom being a Vampire on steroids, the single seaters could out climb the RAF's Sabres and outmanoeuvre them at height, not sure about the two seaters though.  I guess I'll find out when I get time to read that chapter of Cold War Shield 2.

What's the accuracy of the kit like?

I really wish Airfix or Special Hobby would give us the single seat Venoms...

Good luck with this one Enzo.

• Like 3

Looking forward to this; I’m a big fan of De Havilland aircraft Enzo.

I have one of the earliest Aeroclub releases of the single seater Venom in 1/72. I would love to give it a whirl; but I think I will enjoy watching you build this one a lot more!

Will you be doing it as a Swedish aircraft?

It looks quite stunning in the box art scheme 👍 

Good luck with the build,

TonyT

4 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Will you be doing it as a Swedish aircraft?

It looks quite stunning in the box art scheme 👍

Sweden was never part of NATO...   :) 

There is also a problem with the box art scheme.  A Swedish Venom cannot be built from this kit!  The kit represents an NF.3.  The Swedish aircraft were all NF.51s, which were an export version of the NF.2 and NF.2A.  The NF.2 had a different radar which meant that the nose shape was thinner and more pointed.  The box art accurately shows the nose profile, but that's not what you get in the kit.

5 hours ago, Wez said:

What's the accuracy of the kit like?

Not great.   These threads will explain.

There is an excellent quote from one of those threads

On 13/03/2012 at 09:11, venomvixen said:

The ailerons are fine but the fences are somewhat oversize, by somewhat I mean if they were any bigger Roger Waters would have to be forcibly stopped from projecting large images of marching hammers on them

:lol:

The NF3 kit is the Sea Venom kit with an extra sprue providing parts for the rear fuselage.

I'm just going to live with the inaccuracies and simply enjoy the build.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

That is a shame, I was interested in buying one of these to do as WX788 which a late friend of mine was trying to restore. He even had me rubbing down panels which was not fun! I am still intrigued though and will watch with interest :popcorn:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Sweden was never part of NATO...   :) 

That would not be the problem for this GB!

Neither was Yugoslavia ;)

We fortunately had a small but important change of rules recently....  :)

so the nose shape is the real reason!

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

The ailerons are fine but the fences are somewhat oversize, by somewhat I mean if they were any bigger Roger Waters would have to be forcibly stopped from projecting large images of marching hammers on them

That has to be one of the funniest ways of describing oversized wing fences ive ever seen/read. 

33 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

That has to be one of the funniest ways of describing oversized wing fences ive ever seen/read. 

It certainly was :lol: I do miss Danni and her sharp wit; the girl who once described the Trumpeter Vampire(ish) kit as looking like it was tooled from a description over a bad telephone line.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't actually made any progreass on this build as I've been very focused on Hellcats...   But the current batch of Hellcats (and Cougars) are now finished, so maybe I can move forwards on the Venom.

Here are the sprues.

V-002.JPG

The kit is the Sea Venom FAW.21 kit with an extra sprue.  You can see this in the lower right of the photo above.  It's effectively a conversion kit to build the NF.3.  The sections of the rear fuselage that need to be removed are marked with a heavily indented line that will allow the modeller to score through easily.

V-005.JPG

The outer wings are seperate, as befits the Sea Venom.  The instructions suggest that you simply glue the outer wings in place, but I think that will provide a weak joint - not to mention a nightmare in cleaning up the joint line.  I'm going to try a bit of surgery to buld a more robust wing.

V-004.JPG

The decals are nice.  The PE sheet provides the infamous wing fences.  I'm not gonna use them, 'cos I don't need no education. :bleh:  

The canopy is a single piece so cannot be built open without some surgery. 

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Firstly I built the cockpit.  It is nicely detailed but as it is black, very little will be seen.  I'll try and open the canopy to rectify that.

V-007.JPG

The whole of the rear ends of bot upper and lowe fuselage parts have to be removed.

V-006.JPG

There are some very tiny parts to represent the vanes in the intakes.  Fitment of these parts is not shown on the instruction sheet, but they do appear in the diagrams of later steps.  Speaking of the instructions, they recommend a very bizarre order of assembly.  The undercarriage is supposed to be assembled in its entirety and fitted to the lower fuselage before the fuselage halves are assembled.  Yeh... not gonna do that!  :fraidnot: 

There is a nicely detailed engine which can be displayed be leaving the dorsal engine cover open.  I chose not to build it and simply fitted the intakes to the lower wing.

V-008.JPG

V-009.JPG

Moving onto the upper fuselage now.  I crudely carved out all the interior wingfold details and added some robust plastic card bracing.  I then glued the outer wing parts in place, ensuring as best I could that the upper wing surface was nice and smooth.

V-010.JPG

And then I bunged it all together. :) 

V-011.JPG

Next step is to build the rear fuselage.  Things are made a bit easier here by the engine jetpipe which provides some internal structure.

V-012.JPG

V-013.JPG

Booms and tailplane fitted.  It all went together rather nicely.

V-014.JPG

• Like 6

This one seems to be going well for you Enzo but then again I also know you can be a master of under-statement. How's the fit of parts thus far?

Fit of parts is great.  I think the thing that illustrates that is the rear fuselage.  You have to hack great chunks out but even after that things fit really well.   Okay, so it's not particularly accurate, but it's a lot of fun to build.

• Like 2

Great work so far Enzo,I'm building the Naval version of this one and found it enjoyable and hassle free,I worried about the wing join especially

fitting them in the fixed position but all's well up to now.