I had hoped that a group of Swifts would have a special name.  There is a pride of lions.  A parliament of owls.  A load of bobbins (with apologies to Smith and Jones) :D  

I mean, just how cool would it have been if I could entitle this thread "a Contrafibularity of Swifts"?   :lol: 

But sadly, no....   more than one swift is simply a flock.     so...   flock it is. 

Edit:   I'm informed that it can be a swoop of Swifts, hence the title change.

I'm building two Swifts in this GB.  Both are from the 1/72 Airfix kit.

The first one is a (pretty much) OOB Swift FR.5

S5-001.JPG

The only bit not OOB will be a replacement belly tank, in this case from Freightdog.

I like the 79 Sqn marikngs as they have a PRU Blue undersurface.

My second build in this thread will be a Swift F.2, using the Airfix kit and the Alley Cat resin conversion set for the Swift Mk2.

S2-001.JPG

I'll probably do this one in 56 Sqn markings....   :fool: 

• Like 12

10 hours ago, patmaquette said:

How about "A brace of Swifts"?...

Pat

I think that only applies to birds after they've been shot :hmmm:or perhaps in this case crashed :lol:

Edited by Col.
  • Like 2

On 1/12/2019 at 2:03 AM, Enzo Matrix said:

My second build in this thread will be a Swift F.2, using the Airfix kit and the Alley Cat resin conversion set for the Swift Mk2.

S2-001.JPG

I'll probably do this one in 56 Sqn markings....   :fool: 

Subscribed to comments & progress in this topic! 😁

....and teased my 

"strategic" reserves on Swift Mk.2 theme:

20190113-135101.jpg

😉😎😁

B.R.

Serge

• Like 3

On 11/01/2019 at 23:33, Enzo Matrix said:

Groupbuilds can never have enough Hunters...

Too true!  Funny how the Hunter always comes in threads about Swifts :hmmm:

Anyway, good luck with your Supermarine Fat Knackers, the 56 Sqn Mk2 will be a colourful addition and I'm glad you've gone for the DG/DSG/PRU Blue coloured 79 Sqn jet, easily my favourite post war colour scheme.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't actually made any progreass on this build as I've been very focused on Hellcats...   But the current batch of Hellcats (and Cougars) are now finished, so maybe I can move forwards on the Swifts.

In the meantime, here are photos of the sprues.

S-001.JPG

S-002.JPG

The fuselage halves are slide moulded to represent the vents.

There were some issues when this kit was introduced with rumours of mould damage.  Is this the reason? 

S-003.JPG

S-004.JPG

S-005.JPG

S-006.JPG

• Like 2

Here is the same kit, with the Alley Cat conversion set for the Swift Mk.2

S2-001.JPG

And the resin parts.

S2-003.JPG

The decal sheet provides two options of a 56 Sqn jet, an option for a Mk.2 used as a ground instructional airfram and also the sole Mk.4 airframe.

If you buy the set for a Mk.1 conversion, the parts are identical. It's just the decals sheet that differs.  That also provides options for 56 Sqn aircraft, as that was the only unit to use the fighter Swifts operationaley.  In the case of the Mk.2, they were all in High speed Silver finish.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Rightho!  Let's see how they're swooping!

The FR5 is being built OOB.  Here are all the components that make up the fuselage. 

S5-002.JPG

The cockpit is built up from a floor and rear bulkhead part with port and starboard cockpit walls.  The nose gear bay is two parts which then fit to the front of the cockpit assembly.  The remainder of the parts make up the intake assembly.  When assembled it should show the boundary layer control parts quite well.  I've painted the intake splitter plates in their respective camouflage colours to save any awkward masking later on.

Not shown here are three parts to represent the afterburner.

This is how the cockpit parts fit into the fuselage halves.

S5-003.JPG

I had thought that there would be issues putting in enough ballast, but as you can see there is actually plenty of room.   I've a feeling I will need it on the F2, as the rear fuselage is quite a big chunk of resin.

Fuselage and wings assembled, ready for main assembly.

S5-004.JPG

• Like 1

Now let's look at the F2.  Firstly the wings.

The instruction sheet included in the Alley Cat is very clear and comprehensive.  First step is to cut off the wing leading edges from the wing underside.  I marked the cut line using Dymo tape set 3mm parallel to a clear panel line, just as the instructions require. 

S2-004.JPG

I then used a scribing tool to scribe gently along the line numerous times until the leading edge falls away. The section where the LE joins the fuselage was simply cut away with a sharp knife.  If you follow the instructions carefully, you should get a good fit straight away.  I was surprised how easy it all was! 

S2-005.JPG

The noticeable difference between the wing of the FR5 and that of earlier versions is that the FR5 has a dogtooth on the leading edge. The Hunter had a similar modification from the F6 onwards.  However, the Hunter's dogtooth was an extension, increasing the chord of the outer wing panels.  No so on the Swift FR5.  Instead the dogtooth was formed by reducing the chord of the inner wing.  Here are the original plastic and replacement resin parts compared.

S-007.JPG

S-008.JPG

And the two sets of wings compared.

S-010.JPG

• Like 4

Let's look at the fuselage.  The upper parts are for the F2, with the nose, rear fuselage and fin removed. Once again, the Alley Cat instructions are very clear with all the cuts being made along panel lines so it's very difficult to get things wrong.

S-009.JPG

The fuselage interior was assembled in the same manner as the FR5.  Alley Cat also provide an optional resin piece with better defined gun troughs to be used under the intakes.  I elected not to use it. 

Here we see the F2 (with fin yet to be fitted) and FR5 with wings fitted.

S-011.JPG

• Like 6

21 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Here we see the F2 (with fin yet to be fitted) and FR5 with wings fitted.

S-011.JPG

Well, do what you want with me, but I do not like the

Alley Cat nose for F.2, it seems to me that it is very thin.

It's my subjective feeling.....

🤔

21 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

The noticeable difference between the wing of the FR5 and that of earlier versions is that the FR5 has a dogtooth on the leading edge. The Hunter had a similar modification from the F6 onwards.  However, the Hunter's dogtooth was an extension, increasing the chord of the outer wing panels.  No so on the Swift FR5.  Instead the dogtooth was formed by reducing the chord of the inner wing.  Here are the original plastic and replacement resin parts compared.

Rather, it is a test of two different wing concepts - Russian with aerodynamic partitions v.s. western dogtooth.

B.R.

Serge

• Like 3

Interesting updates Enzo. I've still no desire to build a Swift but am enjoying watching you do so with these two.