Arfix P-40 Pearl Harbor "US ARMY" decals

Eduardo Soler

As the AVG Chinese markings are wrong( 11 points stars) in the Airfix P-40 B 1/48, I have decided to make the version of Pearl Harbor, but seeing photos of many P-40, I see that the "M" of the US ARMY in the central part, should not reach the lower part of the vertical "legs". Are these decals too bad?

Eduardo, I'm working on an old monogram P40B, in 1/48, and the AVG stars have 12 points.

Are these correct, and are they what you're looking for??

Because I think I'm going with the US Army option.

The kit and the sheet are old, but the decals look to be in good shape.

Want them...? Or are you def going for the Army option?

• Like 1

Hola Rob.
12 puntas es correcto. Yo estoy con el nuevo kit de AIRFIX  y lamentablemente las estrellas chinas solo llevan 11 puntas, Las estrellas de Monogram son demasiado grandes y de color azul demasiado oscuro. Mi opción es ahora la US Army... pero las letras U.S. ARMY tienen la M diferente a las fotografias.

• Like 1

I'm sorry, Rob. I did not pass the text in Spanish by the translator ... Hi Rob. 12 points is correct. I am with the new AIRFIX kit and unfortunately the Chinese stars only have 11 points, The Monogram stars are too big and too dark blue. My choice is now the US Army ... but the letters U.S. ARMY have the M different from the photographs.

I understood most of it...!!

Because the "M" is made of straight black lines, can you fix it or make it with strips of black decal?

I haven't seen what the letters look like under the wings of the real plane.

Monogram lettering...

IMG_20190112_125114

Have you any good pictures of the rudder balance weights on the tail, what they look like?

Are they on the Airfix kit?

Monogram has nothing!

• Like 1

US ARMY lettering( insignia blue color) seen on P40

unders11.jpg

and P40B&C

unders10.jpg

the rudder balance weight was in the  rudder leading edge or in the horn at the top.
What you can see at the left of rudder was not a counterweight but the top hinge

hinge10.jpg

Edited by BS_w
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Judging from the photos BS_w posted above, it'd be pretty easy to cut a small triangle of black decal to add to the M.

A couple of aftermarket decal sheets have the U.S. ARMY marking with the M done per the photo. Probably the easiest to obtain would be BarracudaCal (Barracuda Studios) 48006, which is actually for P-40Es.

Eagle Strike 48147 and SuperScale 48-18 also have it, but are probably pretty hard to find.

• Like 1