Lavochkin La-9 - KOREA 1953 - Mikromir 1/48

This is a superb example of how wear and weathering should be done.  It is subtle and believable.  I am very impressed.  I would love to learn how you made the fuel stains around the filler cap just ahead of the windscreen.  I guess I'll be reading your work in progress! :)

Also, thanks for showing a North Korean La-9!  I've never seen one before, but I knew N. Korea used them.

19 hours ago, opus999 said:

This is a superb example of how wear and weathering should be done.  It is subtle and believable.  I am very impressed.  I would love to learn how you made the fuel stains around the filler cap just ahead of the windscreen.  I guess I'll be reading your work in progress! :)

Also, thanks for showing a North Korean La-9!  I've never seen one before, but I knew N. Korea used them.

I blow AK or Mig wash from the brush with an airbrush (without paint). Why wash - because it's fast, but risky method and I can always wash away... Cap was masking. Secound procedure - shading with a very thin stream of paint from the airbrush.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

Super job !

I need one for my Korean collection!!

Is this a good kit, did'nt knew about it

Sincerely.

CC

It's very simple short run (like early Eduard or SpecialHobby/MPM) with nice PE -  look on WIP.

I added all KZip resin and full riveting, 

Edited by Jurek Greinert
  • Thanks 1

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 11:02 AM, Jurek Greinert said:

Thank you for good comments.......

I would also like to learn about the combat use in Korea. I only read that there was a fight with the night Corsair. F4U-5N won.

There has been far more than a brush with the Corsairs !

The La-9 are present since the very first day of the Korean war

Protecting the Il-10 attacking Seoul airfield, setting ablaze a C-54 and so on

There hes been La-9 downed by the F-82 and F-80

I do not heard of an aerial Victory of a La-9 but I'm far to know all....

Hope that it help !

Sincerely.

CC

PS, on a more personal note, is Gliwice the town who was once named Gleiwitz ?? Where there was a broadcasting station ?

Edited by corsaircorp
correction
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

There has been far more than a brush with the Corsairs !

The La-9 are present since the very first day of the Korean war

Protecting the Il-10 attacking Seoul airfield, setting ablaze a C-54 and so on

There hes been La-9 downed by the F-82 and F-80

I do not heard of an aerial Victory of a La-9 but I'm far to know all....

Hope that it help !

Sincerely.

CC

PS, on a more personal note, is Gliwice the town who was once named Gleiwitz ?? Where there was a broadcasting station ?

Thx for information..... about my Gliwice / Gleiwitz You are right. Place of nazi provocation August 31, 1939

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Jurek Greinert said:

Thx for information..... about my Gliwice / Gleiwitz You are right. Place of nazi provocation August 31, 1939

You're welcome !

I can look for a for more infos about the La-9

They've been extensively used in the first month of the war

along with some Yak-7 or 9, that's not absolutely clear !

By 1952, they did'nt dare to use it but for nuisance nocturnal raids

along with the Po-2...

Interestingly enough, there has been an air combat involving a Po-2 and a F-94B Starfire...

Score 1-1, the radar of the F-94 drive them right into the Po-2, both aircrafts crashed...

Sincerely.

CC

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 4:02 AM, Jurek Greinert said:

Thank you for good comments.......

I would also like to learn about the combat use in Korea. I only read that there was a fight with the night Corsair. F4U-5N won.

The La-9 you mentioned was probably shot down by Lt. Guy "Lucky Pierre" Bordelon, who flew a land-based F4U-5NL detached from VC-3 aboard the USS Princeton. He was the only USN ace of the Korean war and was credited with five victories: two Yak-18's and three La-9's or La-11's. BTW, your model is excellent, and I really liked your choice of scheme and markings.

Mike

• Like 1

9 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

You're welcome !

I can look for a for more infos about the La-9

They've been extensively used in the first month of the war

along with some Yak-7 or 9, that's not absolutely clear !

By 1952, they did'nt dare to use it but for nuisance nocturnal raids

along with the Po-2...

Interestingly enough, there has been an air combat involving a Po-2 and a F-94B Starfire...

Score 1-1, the radar of the F-94 drive them right into the Po-2, both aircrafts crashed...

Sincerely.

CC

I heard of a similar incident in Korea where, in the process of shooting down a Po-2, an F-86 stalled as a result of slowing down so much and crashed.

• Like 1

I also heard of a Lavochkin damaging, but not downing an F-86, and wounding its pilot. The La-9 would have done well in the hands of skilful pilots, not necessarily against the likes of F-86s

Edited by Josh G
  • Like 1